Have S5 thinking of N6

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Even then you can mask touchwiz with different launchers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Launcher is just a homescreen skin, it doesn't mask all the other elements of TW. IMO, the biggest downside to carrier branded devices is all of the bloatware/preinstalled apps which is getting completely out of hand. Outside of that, I find TW to be the most inconsistent and dated skin of all the OEM in conjunction with LG (which I find is even worse than TW from a UX POV). TW is just not intuitive and reviewers are already with Samsung implementation of 5.0.

OP, I would say wait for the announcements from MWC as HTC will also be announcing their flagship alongside Samsung. The Nexus is a very large phone and not for everyone. If you enjoy Google services than stock android is the way to go IMO with GVVV, search and caller id right into the dialer and the such.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Launcher is just a homescreen skin, it doesn't mask all the other elements of TW. IMO, the biggest downside to carrier branded devices is all of the bloatware/preinstalled apps which is getting completely out of hand. Outside of that, I find TW to be the most inconsistent and dated skin of all the OEM in conjunction with LG (which I find is even worse than TW from a UX POV). TW is just not intuitive and reviewers are already with Samsung implementation of 5.0.

OP, I would say wait for the announcements from MWC as HTC will also be announcing their flagship alongside Samsung. The Nexus is a very large phone and not for everyone. If you enjoy Google services than stock android is the way to go IMO with GVVV, search and caller id right into the dialer and the such.

You can disable the the apps ....

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

Disabling is the equivalent to hiding as it does not free up space. Aside from that, there are many that cannot be disabled. Every time you get an update, you're rewarded with even more bloatware. It's going to get to the point where 32GB will be the standard not because it is the right thing to do, but because OEM will have no other choice due to the ridiculous amount of preinstalled and OTA apps.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Disabling is the equivalent to hiding as it does not free up space. Aside from that, there are many that cannot be disabled. Every time you get an update, you're rewarded with even more bloatware. It's going to get to the point where 32GB will be the standard not because it is the right thing to do, but because OEM will have no other choice due to the ridiculous amount of preinstalled and OTA apps.

A small amount of space that doesn't matter ...

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
2mb is small ....not to me in general .....

Hmm.. now just you're making up numbers.

AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Software Update
BlurbCheckout
com.sec.android.app.sbrowserty
Device Help
ELM Agent
Email
Internet
Keeper
KLMS Agent
KNOX
KNOX Notification Manager
Mobile TV
My Files (ONLY if you have a third party file manager)
My Magazine
S Helath
Samsung Push Service
Smart Remote
Swype
Talkback
YP
Uber

Apps to delete
Use with caution, if you don't know it is safer to freeze.
Softcard
waplauncher
AT&T Digital Locker
AT&T Messages
AT&T Mobile Recovery
AT&T Navigation
Beats Music
com.cequint.ccid (This is the ID caller app. can't remember the actual name)
ChatOn
AT&T Drive Mode
Flipboard
Lookout Antivirus
Polaris Office
imsqmisocket (Can't remember the actual name)
Media

Link

Thats more than 2mb which btw, that list is even longer now

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have either device. However having had a Samsung in the past versus a Nexus, I will say this: TW is heavy on internal storage. The S4 had an 8 GB ROM, and the S5 I believe had a 5-6 GB ROM. The Nexus 5 has 3.5. Makes a big difference.

From an AOSP M8

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The devices are quite different. I think a better comparison would be Note 4 vs Nexus 6 (not sure if someone else has suggested this). That being said, it's a tough choice either way. I'd say Nexus 6 if you want something to consume media or play games on. Other than that, the software differences aren't going to be too big. If you want, you could even install stock Android on the S5.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.. now just you're making up numbers.

AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Software Update
BlurbCheckout
com.sec.android.app.sbrowserty
Device Help
ELM Agent
Email
Internet
Keeper
KLMS Agent
KNOX
KNOX Notification Manager
Mobile TV
My Files (ONLY if you have a third party file manager)
My Magazine
S Helath
Samsung Push Service
Smart Remote
Swype
Talkback
YP
Uber

Apps to delete
Use with caution, if you don't know it is safer to freeze.
Softcard
waplauncher
AT&T Digital Locker
AT&T Messages
AT&T Mobile Recovery
AT&T Navigation
Beats Music
com.cequint.ccid (This is the ID caller app. can't remember the actual name)
ChatOn
AT&T Drive Mode
Flipboard
Lookout Antivirus
Polaris Office
imsqmisocket (Can't remember the actual name)
Media

Link

Thats more than 2mb which btw, that list is even longer now

This list looks like what I generally disable on my phones but there is some Google bloat like Hangouts, Drive, and Streetview that I also disable. Thus, my phones perform really well. As for the space the bloat takes up? Well, it is what it is and I generally have more space than I need so it's just a matter of how much empty space I'm going to have sitting unused. I put all my music on the SD cards. ...just one perspective.

• from the i6+ 🐜

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Here's the proof suspended apps are taking little to no space

a8fc8a65218354e16ac146b76b75688e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts.

Thread has been cleaned again.

Thanks.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Now boys, quit fighting.....Lollipop allows you to UNINSTALL any app, including bloatware. It has to do with them now being loaded into the users partition. Before, they were inaccessible without root.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane