Have S5 thinking of N6

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Why do you dislike your s5? If you like your s5 there's no need to switch imo . The only reason I'll switch is for the faster updates but I don't mind waiting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

googleuser05

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Why do you dislike your s5? If you like your s5 there's no need to switch imo . The only reason I'll switch is for the faster updates but I don't mind waiting

No I don't dislike it, I just really like what I've seen about the N6. Although I do wish T-Mobile would hurry up with the lollipop update for my S5

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
No I don't dislike it, I just really like what I've seen about the N6. Although I do wish T-Mobile would hurry up with the lollipop update for my S5

Tbh unless you can sell your s5 and get a nexus 6 for no money loss I wouldn't bother if your happy with your s5 . The only differences would be on screen buttons , stock android and bigger screen . T-mobile s5 bootloader isn't locked I believe so you can always flash a stock rom on it if you chose

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Note 4 to the nexus 6 and really love the change. The Note4 was my first Samsung phone in a long time. While I like some features of touch wiz, in general I like vanilla android much, much more. That's the difference for me.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I went from a Note 4 to the nexus 6 and really love the change. The Note4 was my first Samsung phone in a long time. While I like some features of touch wiz, in general I like vanilla android much, much more. That's the difference for me.

Meh stock android ...I like it and while considering a nexus 6 still it's not a selling point imo . Just slap on Google now launcher

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a S5 and it's okay but I really like what I see in the N6. Should I make the switch? Has anyone else made this same switch over

I switched from the Galaxy S5 in January after having it for a year. I liked my S5, but I hated all the Samsung and carrier bloatware.
That's one of the reasons I switched. I had a Nexus 4 prior to my S5. I didn't like the looks of the Nexus 5 so I got the S5. The Nexus 6 is a beast of a phone. The 1440 QHD AMOLED display on the Nexus 6 pounces all over the S5's display. The Nexus 6 sounds better also because of the 2 front stereo speakers. If I had my S5 I would STILL be waiting for the Lollipop update. With the Nexus 6 there won't be any long waits for Android updates. The Nexus 6 gets it's Android updates straight from Google. Most any app I found to be useful on the S5 that is not on the Nexus 6 can be found in the Play Store. Samsung just puts too much bloatware on their devices in MY opinion. On top of that you have carriers adding a bunch. I am a huge fan of the Nexus line of devices. Android the way Android was meant to be. Go for it.. you won't be at all regretful.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The NeXuS 6 also has a durned good camera IME. The only possible negative thing is that battery life is likely not going to be as good as a new S5's battery.

• from the i6+ 🐜

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most of what has been said already. If you are having a good experience with the S5, I don't think it would be necessary to move to the N6.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a S5 and it's okay but I really like what I see in the N6. Should I make the switch? Has anyone else made this same switch over

Unless you are looking for getting away from Touchwiz, I'd at least wait to see what they do with the S6. Being announced March 1. Others here can estimate when it will be released for sale.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are looking for getting away from Touchwiz, I'd at least wait to see what they do with the S6. Being announced March 1. Others here can estimate when it will be released for sale.

Even then you can mask touchwiz with different launchers

googleuser05

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I think I will wait until the S6 is announced and see what all it has to offer since the announcement isn't even a month away. With how notoriously bad Samsung did with its sale on phones last year I would hope they decided to do something extraordinary. Hope being the keyword.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of upgrading from my N5 to the N6 but with new flagships around the corner with the new 64-bit chips etc I'm just gonna wait it out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I had S5 and did go for N6 after 6 months so my experiences might help you.
So firstly, I did like S5 a LOT, tho it had its drawbacks:
- due to it being branded I could not do tap payments from my bank,
- ps3 bluetooth pad was not supported (using sixaxis), might be fixable with using different rom, i used rooted stock
- new camera2 api was not (and still isnt) implemented and focus was very dodgy (ya whats the point of being quick if you miss 10 out of 11 tries),
- when playing it often got hot, overheating causes cpu throttling down and games fps-lag.

Now I am using N6 and I like it even better, everything not working with S5 mentioned above works with my N6, however it has its drawbacks:
- no more typing with one hand, even tho i have big hands (not really a drawback but something you must consider)
- battery life is worse, not bad, but worse (it is somewhat balanced by amazing charger tho),
- it has no memory slot so you have to decide if you dish out more $ for more builtin storage,
- it has no tv-output capabilties, no mhl nor slimport, if you want to stream to bigger screen you need a chromecast.
- also S5's file copying off phone is faster due to different usb type (forgot the name, its a broad one with higher data rate) while N6 has regular usb.
+ On a bright side - it is bigger and handles heat better (gets warm but not hot) and I did not notice throttling down in games as much (if any, i have the phone for a month and still didnt manage to get some time to install more games on it),

For me N6 is better because of better camera API (manual focus ftw), much better photo post-processing (hdr+ does amazing night photos), possibility to tap-pay using my bank (its branding fault not phones fault I believe), working bluetooth controller and amazing charger.

Hope that helps :)

googleuser05

May 31, 2013
Visit site
- ps3 bluetooth pad was not supported (using sixaxis), might be fixable with using different rom, i used rooted stock
- new camera2 api was not (and still isnt) implemented and focus was very dodgy (ya whats the point of being quick if you miss 10 out of 11 tries),
- when playing it often got hot, overheating causes cpu throttling down and games fps-lag.

Now I am using N6 and I like it even better, everything not working with S5 mentioned above works with my N6, however it has its drawbacks:
- no more typing with one hand, even tho i have big hands (not really a drawback but something you must consider)
- battery life is worse, not bad, but worse (it is somewhat balanced by amazing charger tho),
- it has no memory slot so you have to decide if you dish out more $ for more builtin storage,
- it has no tv-output capabilties, no mhl nor slimport, if you want to stream to bigger screen you need a chromecast.
- also S5's file copying off phone is faster due to different usb type (forgot the name, its a broad one with higher data rate) while N6 has regular usb.
+ On a bright side - it is bigger and handles heat better (gets warm but not hot) and I did not notice throttling down in games as much (if any, i have the phone for a month and still didnt manage to get some time to install more games on it),

For me N6 is better because of better camera API (manual focus ftw), much better photo post-processing (hdr+ does amazing night photos), possibility to tap-pay using my bank (its branding fault not phones fault I believe), working bluetooth controller and amazing charger.

Thanks! I'll probably wait to see what the S6 has in store but that did help. And I two hand text regardless so the size would just be more to look at lol

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Err what Google wallet works in any phone ....

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Err what Google wallet works in any phone ....

Google Wallet works in US, im not from USA so I can't use it.
If I wish to pay with my phone on a branded phone i have to use application supplied by my carrier which only works with banks that are associated with it, none of them being my bank.
For occasion like that my bank has its own wallet app which is fine, except it doesnt work for payments with my carrier. Surprisingly as soon as I moved my sim card to nexus6 that's not branded I could pay just right (both S5 and N6 support nfc payments so it must be carrier thing).