Sprint N6

dentalexel

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 32 gb N6 on eBay and it was listed as unlocked. It has the sprint sim in it when it came and had already been activated on Sprint. Does that now lock it to Sprint?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes.
Every carrier has their own SIM to make it work on their network.
You can take it to another carrier and get their service and SIM if you so desire.

Mav. :cool:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
You would, of course, need to close your Sprint account before moving or "porting" the number to another carrier, but it should be fairly painless to do so. :)

Mav. :cool:

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyone that can help me out with unlocking a Sprint Nexus 6 because I want to change the carrier.

You need to call sprint. As long as you own the phone, and your in good standing bill wise with them, they have to unlock your phone.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!

CMSevilla

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You will need to get Sprint to give you the unlock code for the phone. They won't usually do this unless the original owner has cancelled his contract. I cancelled a N6 order cause they won't give you the unlock code unless you cancel your account.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
thanks. I wasn't sure. I thought i saw someplace that once the Sprint sim was activated it locked it to Sprint.
You may have been thinking about the Nexus 6 being activated on AT&T. Once the Nexus 6 is activated on AT&T it is locked (as normal) and you will be rewarded with AT&T bloatware. Of course you can port it to another carrier, but the bloatware stays.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought my N6 from Sprint. I closed my account after one month and went to T Mobile. They put in their SIM card, and it worked immediately. No problems.

jhmaynard

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought my N6 from Sprint. I closed my account after one month and went to T Mobile. They put in their SIM card, and it worked immediately. No problems.

How do you like the N6 on T-Mobile? I just left Sprint and a G3 and started on T-mo with a Nexus 6. I am having major problems with calls: receiving and placing them.

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as I am aware, putting in a sim from one company does NOT lock you to that company, nor does it install their bloatware. The only units that get the bloatware are the ones that are sold by ATT, Sprint, and soon to be Verizon (the Tmobile one has no preinstalled apps other than the google ones). You just need to get a sim card for whoever you want to use the phone with and set up an account with them, and when you install it the phone will activate and you'll be good to go.

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
So far I haven't had any problems with my nexus on tmobile, other than that my service sucks at home and I don't have WiFi calling on this phone (yet), so that is unfortunate. Otherwise, it's good.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as I am aware, putting in a sim from one company does NOT lock you to that company, nor does it install their bloatware. The only units that get the bloatware are the ones that are sold by ATT, Sprint, and soon to be Verizon (the Tmobile one has no preinstalled apps other than the google ones). You just need to get a sim card for whoever you want to use the phone with and set up an account with them, and when you install it the phone will activate and you'll be good to go.
Sprint also has no bloatware and is identical to the TMO, MOTO, and Google play editions