Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum but need some help making up my mind from some of the experts on here. I am an iPhone 6 Plus owner who recently purchased a Nexus 6 to see what it was all about. After playing around with the device (I've used other Android devices before) I really like it a lot. I really love the new Material design of Lollipop, especially the notifications. The one thing that I am having a hard time with convincing myself to keep the phone is the fact that I cannot send videos through text. I am so used to iMessage, and my wife has an iPhone, as does pretty much everyone in my circle of family and friends (I did convert my brother to a 2014 Moto X, but that's a story for another day.) Is there anyway I am able to send videos through text? We send videos of our kids a lot to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. so it's really important to me. I look forward to some responses.

Thanks!!
    02-18-2015 04:41 PM
    You can send any file through text - as long as it's 1MB or less.

Since iPhone uses iMessage, not SMS, they can set their own size limits. You can do the same thing in an Android phone. Put the video up on Mega or some other file sharing site (or use a public folder on your cloud account) and text the link. That's all iMessage does. (I've downloaded files larger than a feature-length movie from Mega, so you can probably put any file you want up there.) Google Drive gives you 15GB for free. So does OneDrive. Those are the only 2 I use, but there ar many more, so you can have tons of files on the cloud at once. (iMessage keeps the files you text in the cloud.)
    Crashdamage likes this.
    02-18-2015 04:56 PM
    You can send any file through text - as long as it's 1MB or less.

Since iPhone uses iMessage, not SMS, they can set their own size limits. You can do the same thing in an Android phone. Put the video up on Mega or some other file sharing site (or use a public folder on your cloud account) and text the link. That's all iMessage does. (I've downloaded files larger than a feature-length movie from Mega, so you can probably put any file you want up there.) Google Drive gives you 15GB for free. So does OneDrive. Those are the only 2 I use, but there ar many more, so you can have tons of files on the cloud at once. (iMessage keeps the files you text in the cloud.)
    Actually, even if you send a regular MMS message, iOS will automatically compress the video to get it sent. It looks like a grainy mess, but at least it gets sent. Android doesn't automatically compress it. It just gives you an error message saying it's too big.

To the OP, I agree with the above poster. Uploading the file to YouTube, Google Drive, or some other cloud service and then sending the link is really the best (only?) way to send a video.
    02-18-2015 05:20 PM
    Thanks. That's kinda what I was leading toward. I do use Google Drive, so I guess I will give that a shot.
    02-18-2015 06:12 PM
    No question that is a great feature of imessage. As a 6+ owner with most of my extended family on iphones, it is handy. I just get bored with iOS. The weather app and stock app are nice also but after a week I pop the SIM back my androids, which I consider my daily driver.

Posted via my Nexus 6!
    02-18-2015 08:34 PM
    I too have an iPhone 6 plus and the nexus 6. I love both, if you can keep both I'd recommend it. I too go through times where I get bored with iOS, even though it is still my daily driver. Android is a breath of fresh air, can't say enough good things about it.
    02-18-2015 10:48 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum but need some help making up my mind from some of the experts on here. I am an iPhone 6 Plus owner who recently purchased a Nexus 6 to see what it was all about. After playing around with the device (I've used other Android devices before) I really like it a lot. I really love the new Material design of Lollipop, especially the notifications. The one thing that I am having a hard time with convincing myself to keep the phone is the fact that I cannot send videos through text. I am so used to iMessage, and my wife has an iPhone, as does pretty much everyone in my circle of family and friends (I did convert my brother to a 2014 Moto X, but that's a story for another day.) Is there anyway I am able to send videos through text? We send videos of our kids a lot to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. so it's really important to me. I look forward to some responses.

Thanks!!
    One of the first issues I dealt with was getting my number removed from imessage.

Other than that, I think iPhones make things very simple. Upload your videos to the cloud and then having someone click on a link to view it? Think of how many steps that is compared to your iPhone.

I like both devices, I just choose to keep both.

Honestly I don't think you're going to get a lot of people who steer you in the direction of the iPhone.
    02-19-2015 01:42 PM
    just turn on auto upload of videos in Photos then share from there through hangouts
    Emanuel Williams likes this.
    02-19-2015 03:17 PM
    You can send video by messenger by recording the video in messenger. Pull up the contact in messenger, tap the attach icon, and choose the video icon. (Up to a min. Record time)
    Emanuel Williams likes this.
    02-20-2015 04:37 AM
    The iPhone will never be android and Android will never be iPhone PERIOD!

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 6 PERIOD.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-20-2015 10:44 AM
    Given that iMessage is admittedly awesome and most of your friends and family have idevices then you should probably stick with the 6plus. It's an awesome device and the battery life is pretty astonishing.
    02-21-2015 07:50 PM
    I know...I'm so torn because I love using the Nexus 6 too. I really like Lollipop, and the screen and stereo speakers are great for media consumption. I sent the Nexus 6 back to Motorola already, but I am regretting that decision.
    02-22-2015 09:07 AM
    The iPhone will never be android and Android will never be iPhone PERIOD!

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 6 PERIOD.

That's the beauty of competition. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I love both devices for different reasons.
    02-22-2015 10:31 AM
    That's the beauty of competition. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I love both devices for different reasons.
    Exactly. No one should to to convince anyone otherwise. I sell both at work and only provide insight to the main differences. Let them decide.

Posted via Nexus 6 on T-mobile
    02-22-2015 10:57 AM
    I have both too, the idea of me getting the Nexus was to use it solely for work leaving the iPhone for personal/home life. This soon went out of the window and I carry both pretty much all of the time

02-22-2015 01:07 PM
    Exactly. No one should to to convince anyone otherwise. I sell both at work and only provide insight to the main differences. Let them decide.

Posted via Nexus 6 on T-mobile
    My kid was adamant about keeping his iPhone 5s even though the battery died every day before dinner. I'd been begging him to change for 2 years for that reason (only that reason). After 2 warranty replacements died, he finally consented to try the Droid Maxx.

After a week or so, he belligerently called to ask me why did I nag him so much. He found little difference between the phones. Except, oh, by the way, the battery was infinitely better. I had to remind him that I was speaking to the battery life and only the battery life, not the OS.

Kid's selective memory at work.....

The other kid is also a dyed in the wool iPhone junky. Once I read about the great battery in the iPhone 6+, I wanted him to go with it over the 6 because I saw no advantage to Android for him anymore . He didn't want to deal with the size. Though his 6 is better than the 4 he had, he still runs up against the battery life on a full day's use.
    02-22-2015 02:23 PM