Nexus 6 Camera

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
What ratio do you lot use when taking photos? 4.3 at 13mp or 16.9 at 9.7 or something like that?

I like the idea of capturing more detail with the 4.3 ratio, but I also like my pictures to be the size of the screen when viewing them.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
"Traditional" photos are closer to 4:3 so I tend to stick with that. Anything looks slick in 16:9 though :)

AC App
Nexus 6

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
What ratio do you lot use when taking photos? 4.3 at 13mp or 16.9 at 9.7 or something like that?

I like the idea of capturing more detail with the 4.3 ratio, but I also like my pictures to be the size of the screen when viewing them.

If you think you'll ever print the images, I'd suggest going with 4:3 as that's the native resolution of the sensor (4160x3120) and you could always crop later to the aspect ratio you wish to print at, etc. But if your shots are generally just viewed on the phone (or casual sharing in social media), 16:9 does make a certain sense. And now all of a sudden I'm realizing I should probably just set mine to 16:9 for general purpose...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
How easy (or not) is it to point and shoot with that big ol' slab of polycarbonate? Does the phone's width ever become a problem re. capturing a shot quickly or keeping the phone steady while snapping shots, messing with camera settings or taking a video?

I ask because the Nexus 6 has become a real option for me now that I know HTC is apparently none too keen on shipping 5.5 HD phones stateside.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
How easy (or not) is it to point and shoot with that big ol' slab of polycarbonate? Does the phone's width ever become a problem re. capturing a shot quickly or keeping the phone steady while snapping shots, messing with camera settings or taking a video?

I ask because the Nexus 6 has become a real option for me now that I know HTC is apparently none too keen on shipping 5.5 HD phones stateside.

I've had no issues with taking pictures on the phone - sure it's a heavy phone, but it doesn't pose me much of an threat. I would highly recommend this phone - it honestly ticks all the boxes.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I personally prefer my pictures in 4:3 so that's what I shoot in.

I'm kind of the same, I think 16:9 makes more sense as the image is displayed using the whole of that amazing screen but 4:3 is what I'm keeping it at right now, plus I'm a numbers guy, I prefer more pixels :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Full resolution, 4:3.... The way I figure it.... if I REALLY want to, I can always crop the 13MP image to 16:9. It is always better to start with TOO much than not enough because once the shot is taken, you can't go back and add anything. Me and my wife take a ton of pics, and she sifts though all those pics to make albums (Shutterfly mostly)... it's better to have the fullest photo possible when it comes to something like that.

It ALLLLL depends on how big your hands are. :) I have big mitts so I can hold the phone one-handed and tap the shutter if need be. Having that HA-UGE 'viewfinder' is awesome though.