05-17-2015 03:45 PM
28 12
tools
    Google's planned MVNO will reportedly only work with the Nexus 6 | Android Central

Now that is very interesting.

Mav.

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.
    tech_fan likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:10 PM
    Yea, works on Sprint's network.

Pass :-)

AC App
    Nexus 6
    Ed Briggs likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:21 PM
    Bring it on!
    03-06-2015 12:08 AM
    I'd be willing to leave sprint to try this. Been off contract since April of last year.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!
    03-06-2015 10:58 AM
    I'd be willing to leave sprint to try this. Been off contract since April of last year.
    Don't do that.
    They will be using Sprint's and T-Mo's cell networks.

Mav.
    03-06-2015 11:18 AM
    Don't do that.
    They will be using Sprint's and T-Mo's cell networks.

Mav.
    It all depends on the price, and how they set this up. I'm up in the northeast and I have great sprint coverage usually around 25-40mb down on LTE. I can't complain, since I remember sprint from years ago, and that was horrendous.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!
    03-06-2015 01:45 PM
    it was a good idea while it lasted...want to be able to use any device I want...
    03-06-2015 02:53 PM
    it was a good idea while it lasted...want to be able to use any device I want...
    I think I saw an article on pocketnow that said the nexus 6 only thing was just in the beginning and it would eventually include other devices.
    03-06-2015 02:59 PM
    I'm looking forward to this announcement, rumored to be today.
    04-22-2015 10:05 AM
    04-22-2015 12:11 PM
    LOL at the Nexus 6 being the phone available on the most carriers.

On a serious note, I want to say this is a good move to start with, a lot less variables to troubleshoot, and I could see Apple pulling the same stunt in a few years.
    04-22-2015 12:49 PM
    04-22-2015 02:02 PM
    (FYI, opened up a Project Fi forum as well.)

Google Project Fi - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    VW Maverick and AnnDroid like this.
    04-22-2015 02:51 PM
    Phil, shouldn't Project fi get listed under Carrier Discussion?
    04-22-2015 04:51 PM
    $%#@ Sprint. I want nothing to do with them.
    04-22-2015 06:16 PM
    I appreciate that Google is trying something new, multi-carrier support on one plan/Sim, but I can't see myself switching to this based on the price.

AT&T and Verizon have both recently offered four line plans that cost $160 including unlimited calling/texting and 15GB of shared data.

This would be 4 lines with 2 GB of data each for $160.
    04-22-2015 07:03 PM
    If I had a Verizon N6, could I use it on this service or does VZW have it Sim locked?

Posted via the Android Central App
    21stNow likes this.
    04-22-2015 11:54 PM
    Screw it! I'm going to try it. I have Sprint, if it sucks I'll go back.

AnnDroid likes this.
    04-23-2015 10:51 AM
    I'm also trying it (on T-Mobile prepaid atm), assuming Google extends me an invite.

04-23-2015 12:05 PM
    For people who aren't heavy data users, this could be an amazing thing. For those of us who do use network data extensively... not so much.

The availability of unlimited data programs is tough to beat, and I can understand where Google doesn't want to go there (at least initially). As it stands, I'm paying $35 after taxes for unlimited talk/text/4g w/ 3GB 4g hotspot (T-mobile loyalty discounts for long-time customers rock!), so the value proposition just isn't there w/ Google as a direct line replacement (especially when I average 12-20GB/month of mobile network data).

That said... it's still something I'd consider as a swap-out SIM supplement for travel, though, as stacking Sprint's network availability on top of that of T-Mobile would cover a lot of dead stretches of road (and vice-versa for Sprint users). With no contract, if there's no activation fee associated it would be great peace-of-mind to have it as a failsafe for areas where T-Mo's network might be absent or spotty (not that I've personally found many spots that fit that description).
    geekaren likes this.
    04-23-2015 12:31 PM
    I am trying to figure out the benefit of switching to this.
    I'm on a family plan sharing only 2gb of data and rarely using 1gb a month (were both on wifi at work/home). I have a nexus 6, she doesnt. So if I leave and pay $30 a month, I'd have to see what sprints cheapest plan is for an individual. Their site seems to be catering to unlimited or family only that I could see at a glance.

I pay about $99 for the 2 lines now. If it makes her plan go up to $60 and mine to $30, its not really worth it to me, but tempting knowing I'd have either tmobile or sprint signals....if the handoff is good. I could see a lot of dropped calls happening between towers myself.
    04-23-2015 02:43 PM
    I am trying to figure out the benefit of switching to this.
    about the only "Benefit" would being able to switch between T-Mobile and Sprint.. Alone they both have great coverage areas and horrible coverage areas.. Combined it should fill in the gaps decently... but I left Sprint after nearly 15 years because their coverage in the DFW areas I roam most was horrible... T-Mobile has better coverage in DFW.. but when I travel back home to TN or NC the in between coverage of T-Mobile is very lacking (but getting better) I personally use 10 - 12 GB per month of data and use the two lines for $100 on T-Mobile with unlimited everything so this isn't much of a "Deal" for my usage...
    04-23-2015 03:22 PM
    Can any T-Mobile N6 owners (or T-Mobile staffers) clarify something?

If you currently own a Nexus 6 that you purchased via T-Mobile with the understanding that the N6 you purchased was eventually going to get an update to allow Wifi Calling, can you now make and receive calls over Wifi as a T-Mobile customer? Or do you have to wait to be invited to join Project Fi to do so?

And if you do join Project Fi, what impact will that have on your T-Mobile account? If said N6 owner is currently making monthly payments to T-Mobile for said N6, is said N6 owner even eligible to accept an invite to Project Fi? Or would joining Project Fi mean paying another $20 or so to Google to be able to make/receive calls via Hangouts?
    04-23-2015 04:05 PM

If you currently own a Nexus 6 that you purchased via T-Mobile with the understanding that the N6 you purchased was eventually going to get an update to allow Wifi Calling, can you now make and receive calls over Wifi as a T-Mobile customer? Or do you have to wait to be invited to join Project Fi to do so?

And if you do join Project Fi, what impact will that have on your T-Mobile account? If said N6 owner is currently making monthly payments to T-Mobile for said N6, is said N6 owner even eligible to accept an invite to Project Fi? Or would joining Project Fi mean paying another $20 or so to Google to be able to make/receive calls via Hangouts?
    Project Fi is an MVNO, so it's technically a separate service (even though it uses T-Mo and Sprint networks). Much like StraightTalk is. T-Mobile's Wifi calling is their own protocol for their customers - it's totally separate from the Project Fi customer experience. To switch to Project Fi you would be cancelling your account with T-Mobile in the process. Hope that helps!
    anon(9072051) likes this.
    04-23-2015 11:56 PM

As ottscay pointed out, it's a separate service.

T-Mobile subscribers with the Nexus 6 are still slated to be able to use WiFi calling (currently) by mid-year. This will require an update of Nexus 6's software and/or an update to T-Mobile's network infrastructure. If it's just the former, then it's likely that T-Mobile users will be able to begin enjoying this feature around the time of Project Fi's actual launch.
    anon(9072051) likes this.
    04-24-2015 09:39 AM
28 12