Will Nexus 6 Work on Verizon Network

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I am a Verizon customer & currently own a Note 3. I have wanted a Nexus phone for years but they won't work on Verizon's network.
If I buy a Nexus 6 from Motorola or from the Play Store will it work on the Verizon network?
I came close to leaving Verizon for AT&T when the the Nexus 5 came out but settled for the Note 3 because the processors were the same size & I felt that Samsung would keep the Note 3 updated.
I want a Nexus

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should be compatible with all major carriers. The specs on Google Play Store report both GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon/Sprint).

skuni

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been working fine since December on Verizon. I bought from Motorola.

Posted via the Android Central App

ericinaz

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had Mine since December too. You will only have issues with the lack of Verizon visual voice mail (I use hangouts now instead) and advance calling. These may be available after they release their own. Otherwise best phone I've had on Verizon.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank to all that responded.
Looks like I'll be trying to find a Nexus 6.

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry B. Diddy I have no clue I just ran a Google search on Nexus 6 and Verizon....

Found this on Phandroid;

"Apparently those [Nexus 6] banners and related items are set to display come March 11th with the device releasing the next day. What's more, Phandroid's sources say that when the launch does happen, Moto's big-screen device'll pack Verizon's enhanced LTE service (voice over LTE) and Lollipop 5.1. "

Also found this article that says VZ stores are getting Nexus 6 for Promotions only inside the store already.

Verizon Nexus 6 confirmed by leaked marketing material

Last edited:

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
According to a VZW rep, on March 12th the Nexus 6 will be available for preorder with a street date of the 19th... take it for what it's worth

count123

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had Mine since December too. You will only have issues with the lack of Verizon visual voice mail (I use hangouts now instead) and advance calling. These may be available after they release their own. Otherwise best phone I've had on Verizon.

Did you but from Motorola or Google Play? Does Hangouts have a visual voicemail feature? Also what is Advanced calling?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Play or Motorola edition? How'd you activate?

You don't actually activate it. You must have a currently active SIM card. Just put it in the Nexus 6, and after a bit you'll be up and running. That's really all it takes. Just so you know, it sometimes takes a few minutes until it's active the first time you use the Verizon SIM card. Put it in, boot the phone, and wait. After a minute or two you'll see the signals activating. Mine took probably 2 or 3 minutes the first time until LTE finally appeared.

If you take the Nexus 6 to Verizon to activate, they will not be able to do it. If you already have an LTE Verizon phone, simply remove the SIM card and put it in the Nexus 6.

One caveat; if the SIM card you have is micro SIM, you'll need to either cut it to nano SIM size or see if you can get Verizon to exchange it.

As far as Google Play or Motorola, it makes no difference. They're exactly the same. I bought mine from Motorola, but only because that's where I was able to get the "unicorn" (white 64GB).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Lollipop allows removal of all apps, including bloatware, without rooting.......

Are you talking about only the carrier branded Nexus 6's? Because on other manufacturer's phones (like the S5 or the HTC One, for example), you still have to root to get rid of the bloat, even on Lollipop.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about only the carrier branded Nexus 6's? Because on other manufacturer's phones (like the S5 or the HTC One, for example), you still have to root to get rid of the bloat, even on Lollipop.

I got my GN6 64GB from Motorola and I do not have a single piece of bloat ware. You only run and install the software you want on any carrier you want.

From Nexus 64GB Beast

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, I know that N6's directly from Moto or Google are bloat-free. But the carrier-branded​ ones I think come with bloat.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, I know that N6's directly from Moto or Google are bloat-free. But the carrier-branded​ ones I think come with bloat.
But since the bloat is added post install it really doesn't matter you can disable it all anyway. And since the phone is easily unlocked and rooted any and everything is easily removed.

While in theory you could run on the Verizon network with any N6 phone you can't because they block out phone id's based on what carrier they were distributed to. unless something's changed... the only one that will work are from Motorola or Google you can't buy an AT & T name branded one and make it run on Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 on VZW

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Disabling isn't quite the same as deleting, since the former doesn't actually free up the internal storage. It's always possible to remove bloatware by rooting, but not everyone wants to root, or feels comfortable doing so. It's a minor point, but one that can still detract for certain people.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie