The Nexus 6 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

emilcDC

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Really? This was the easiest, fastest, quickest OTA sideload I've ever done. Even though the file was huge compared to the last OTA (5.0.1, I think) the Nexus 6 was ridiculously fast in going through it - even the "app optimization" screen only lasted 8 minutes as opposed to 20+ on my old Nexus 4 on that phone's last OTA.

First impressions: so smooth. I don't know exactly what has gone on under the hood but prior to updating my phone had been having issues with WiFi (took ages when I wanted to see the list of available networks) and wouldn't return when I pressed the power button. Both of those things seem to be fixed now, especially given the quick settings for Bluetooth and WiFi.

Anyone have other experiences, good or bad?

CamaroHutch

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, I hadn't done any sideload OTA before, It was easy... but a pain... re-installing the google driver twice so adp could recognize the phone, updating my sdk, etc... easy, just was a pain because I haven't done anything like this in a while... But I echo your comments thus far about being smooth. Still early in the process, but so far it looks like a positive update.

emilcDC

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Ah, true. I did have to update the ADB - actually ended up downloading something called "15 second ADB installer" because I didn't want to download the entire SDK package and it worked pretty smoothly.

And warrentaye - yes, phone seems to be sipping, at least when on standby.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
In the end, what's the difference between the current "none" and the old "mute"? OK, you have to tap on the screen rather than just the volume rocker, but to me that's not a big deal.

Also I think that having a distinction between none and priority is quite useful - I do want my parents to be able to call me in the middle of the night.

Posted via the Android Central App
None turns off your alarm. Mute did not. Those of us using the phone as bedside clock appreciate the heck out of the old mute.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Aight got 5.1 now, but got the question about new security feature - if someone steals my phone wont he be able to walkaround this by simply installing different rom on the phone?

Edit. And how on earth do I turn it on?

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Aight got 5.1 now, but got the question about new security feature - if someone steals my phone wont he be able to walkaround this by simply installing different rom on the phone?

Edit. And how on earth do I turn it on?

It is on automatically if you have security like a pin or password set. It keeps the device from being reset without the google account username and password. It can also be rang, locked and erased from google device manager from any browser.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It is on automatically if you have security like a pin or password set. It keeps the device from being reset without the google account username and password. It can also be rang, locked and erased from google device manager from any browser.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

Aight and what if I want to sell the phone? How do I 'unbind it' from me? Factory reset + providing password?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Aight and what if I want to sell the phone? How do I 'unbind it' from me? Factory reset + providing password?

Yes. Then no security will be set and the next person can put their google account info in.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I use my n6 as a bedside clock like every other android phone I ever had. I could care less about mute. learn2use priority.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If you're rooted, it will fail. I had to dirty flash 5.01, except for the user.img? to restore phone to stock without losing any data, then applied the update. Once I applied the stock parts to remove root, it flashed with no issue and is working great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm not rooted though. This has happened to a couple of people so far. I know going through the comments sections on AP, and DL There are people who aren't rooted, who can't sideload the OTA because it keeps failing around 47% Besides flasing a stock image, and losing data there isn't much else left to try. I know someone on AP that flashed fresh 5.0.1 (was before 5.1 factory was avail) and the OTA still kept aborting. I have no idea why this keeps happening. Now it is either wait for the OTA naturally to come, or wipe my device and hope it works.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I side loaded on Verizon with no problem. I added advanced calling 1.0 to my plan. Restarted my phone and now I have simultaneous voice and data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Are people really that impatient that not having something the day it's announced is that offensive to them?

#kidsthesedays

Yes, they are. It's the modern day sense of entitlement. "I want it all, and I want it now!" Heaven forbid we should have to wait for anything. I had resigned myself to waiting as long as it took to get 5.1. No big deal, my phone (nexus 5) was working just fine on 5.0.1

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I use my n6 as a bedside clock like every other android phone I ever had. I could care less about mute. learn2use priority.
I know how to use priority. It's just more steps to set up each night than the much simpler hold down the volume key or one click toggle mute switch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance