Phone keeps rebooting and optimizing apps what did i do? lol

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
yes, its me again: the friendly neighborhood pain in the [language] lol. Since 5.0.1 my phone has been rebooting randomly, numerous times throughout the day. I just downloaded 5.1 (hoping that it would fix the issue) and it still reboots but now every so often after it reboots, it will say "Android is Starting... Optimizing app # of #. Any ideas or am i just SOL

Last edited by a moderator:

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Did you flash this yourself or take the OTA when it was offered? I think the first thing I would do is a factory reset. You will loose your data and apps, so be sure to backup. It this doesn't solve the problem I would flash the ROM myself and then do a factory reset immediately after.

Posted via Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure we can find a way to restore your phone, but have you ever installed Android SDK development, so that you have access to ADB and Fastboot, or are you just using the Toolkit?

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
How frequent does this reboot? You may want to try to Boot into safe mode and run your phone in safe mode for a couple of days. If it run in safe mode without rebooting then it is more that likely some app you have installed.

Posted via Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it would be a hardware issue if you haven't had hardware issues previously.
Are you running a Windows or Mac computer?
Also, if your phone is turned off and you press the power and volume down buttons at the same time, does it put your phone in Bootloader mode?

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it would be a hardware issue if you haven't had hardware issues previously.
Are you running a Windows or Mac computer?
Also, if your phone is turned off and you press the power and volume down buttons at the same time, does it put your phone in Bootloader mode?

Well, regarding hardware issues, the back is coming unstuck by the volume rocker (not as large as some but definitely still there). I am on WIndows, and I can boot into bootloader/recovery just fine

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Following up on what DLK1 said, I had the same issue and it turned out to be an app for me (specifically SetCPU).

Not long after I installed it after doing a factory reset, my phone started to randomly reboot. As soon as I uninstalled it, it stopped and hasn't done it since. It took a while to narrow it down.

Not saying it's what's causing your reboots but l would also try looking into your apps after being in safe mode.

Posted via the Android Central App

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Following up on what DLK1 said, I had the same issue and it turned out to be an app for me (specifically SetCPU).

Not long after I installed it after doing a factory reset, my phone started to randomly reboot. As soon as I uninstalled it, it stopped and hasn't done it since. It took a while to narrow it down.

Not saying it's what's causing your reboots but l would also try looking into your apps after being in safe mode.

I wish i had your good fortune lol I booted into safe mode and almost immediately had it reboot on me

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So you did a factory reset, with no apps installed (except system apps) and in safe mode and it still rebooted?

no, i have not done a factory reset yet. I did boot into safe mode and was just chatting in hangouts for maybe a minute when it rebooted on me

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
no, i have not done a factory reset yet. I did boot into safe mode and was just chatting in hangouts for maybe a minute when it rebooted on me

I would do a factory reset and boot into safe mode. If it's okay there then go back to normal mode and add apps back a few at a time. It may be an app that hasn't been updated in a while (before Lollipop) like the one that caused my reboots.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I really don't want to factory reset so I will go through all of my apps and eliminate the oldest first. Hopefully that will do something. If not then I will have to factory reset.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
How long have you had your phone? When did it first start with the random reboots? Did it start shortly after you got the phone or some time later?

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone in the first few days of January. I do not believe it started rebooting then. I do have the back coming undone a tiny bit but who knows if there is a correlation between the two

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That many reboots is troubling. But the factory reset would be the most telling thing. If you reset the phone and still get reboots, you have one more option... a full factory image reset. This pretty much completely overwrites everything on the phone and gets it back to the exact factory state where a 'factory reset' via the phone pretty much just clears your user data stuff... if there is something in system that is messing you up, that won't clear it.

So I would suggest you do a full factory reset using the Wugfresh. Yeah, I know, it sucks... but there is something busted in there and hopefully it is just software. If you reload the factory image and still get reboots, chances are that there is something wrong with the hardware on the phone... something broken in the storage, bad RAM chip, faulty CPU, etc.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
That many reboots is troubling. But the factory reset would be the most telling thing. If you reset the phone and still get reboots, you have one more option... a full factory image reset. This pretty much completely overwrites everything on the phone and gets it back to the exact factory state where a 'factory reset' via the phone pretty much just clears your user data stuff... if there is something in system that is messing you up, that won't clear it.

So I would suggest you do a full factory reset using the Wugfresh. Yeah, I know, it sucks... but there is something busted in there and hopefully it is just software. If you reload the factory image and still get reboots, chances are that there is something wrong with the hardware on the phone... something broken in the storage, bad RAM chip, faulty CPU, etc.

I just sent my phone back to Motorola tonight; back to the ole gnex. Hopefully it was a hardware issue and my new one won't have any problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid