Nexus 6: Visual Voicemail?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been eyeing the Nexus 6 quite a lot lately and stalking these forums since launch and I was wondering about a couple things. I used to be a pretty heavy power user when I was on Android my last Android phone was a GNex before 'flocking' back to the iPhone which I've enjoyed as I've owned the 5 through the 6 which I'm using now. But with the release of Lollipop I've been wanting to come back to Android. Ok enough of that here's what I wanted to know from you guys using the Nexus.

1) I love this on iPhone and am hoping this can be done. Visual Voicemail with Voice can it be integrated with the phone app? I love this on my iPhone and hated using youmail or voice as a separate app when I was on Android.

2) With the newly introduce lock screen notifications are you able to with for instance having a pin or password enabled can you reply to text messages from the lockscreen?

Also just curious if anyone using the Nexus 6 has come from an iPhone 6 or 6+ and if you really miss Pay or touchID cause that's what I'm afraid of if I do come back to Android I'll really miss those cause they are pretty awesome.

Ok sorry for the long post. TIA!

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Use Google Voice "Lite" for Voicemail -

1. Voicemail like email - Save voicemail messages for as long as you'd like, star important ones, and search through them
2. Voicemail transcription - Voicemail messages will be automatically transcribed to text and forwarded to you via email and/or text message.
3. Custom voicemail greetings - Customize your voicemail greeting based on who is calling.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115127?hl=en

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Use Google Voice "Lite" for Voicemail -

1. Voicemail like email - Save voicemail messages for as long as you'd like, star important ones, and search through them
2. Voicemail transcription - Voicemail messages will be automatically transcribed to text and forwarded to you via email and/or text message.
3. Custom voicemail greetings - Customize your voicemail greeting based on who is calling.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115127?hl=en

I was wondering if Voice is integrated with the phone app or do you still have to access them through the Voice app?

yourgaelness

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
i used GV for many years, but when i switched to a different phone, {i think it may have been my nexus galaxy?} it wasnt supported on that phone. when i switched from TM to Verizon and got a note 3, the phone wasnt allowed, by verizon, so i have to pay what, $5? per month?

it'd be great to use GV for my N6 when it arrives later today. is there a way to use it? i prefer it over the vvm, for sure. and it'd offset the cost of my forced use of a $2.99 cloud fee, for one thing.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
In response to your second question about the lock screen - I just tested it out:

I have put a PIN in place on my lockscreen, the notification comes in; I can swipe down on it to expand it or swipe right or left to make it disappear. There is no way to respond to the message from the lockscreen with the pin or swipe security feature enabled. When you don't have a security feature enabled on the lockscreen you can double tap the notification and it will load the messaging app for you.

when I put the PIN lock on the lockscreen it give you the option on how it should handle notifications, i.e. show all notifications, hide sensitive notifications and don't show notifications

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Regarding touchID, I haven't been on apple (other than putting my fingerprint on my daughter's iphone6), BUT, I RARELY input my secuity code - because Lollipop has Trusted Devices (and locations). I have a Moto 360 watch - and after I unlock the phone in the moring with my pin - as long the phone stays paired with m watch - I don't enter my pin the rest of the day. If the phone and watch get seperated by 30+feet (standard BT range), then I need to enter my pin. My phone is also set to smart unlock with my BT headsets (stereo and Jawbone), and BT in my cars. I've also set up trusted locations for my work address and my home address (this is probably a little less secure). Anyways - I only enter my pin 1x every morning.

Because my phone is unlocked (while paired wiht my BT or at home/work), I can double tap a text message on the notification screen to go straight to that text message and respond - I think that answers one of your questions.

I also have set my google wallet to NEVER ask for a pin - because I trust phone's pin. If my phone gets stolen/lost, I will change my google account settings ASAP. To use google wallet, I only need to turn the screen on, and then tap my phone (because my phone is already unlocked because of my Moto 360). If the phone is taken more than 30ft from my watch while at the store etc., then a PIN would need to be entered to unlock the screen to be able to use google wallet.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Regarding touchID, I haven't been on apple (other than putting my fingerprint on my daughter's iphone6), BUT, I RARELY input my secuity code - because Lollipop has Trusted Devices (and locations). I have a Moto 360 watch - and after I unlock the phone in the moring with my pin - as long the phone stays paired with m watch - I don't enter my pin the rest of the day. If the phone and watch get seperated by 30+feet (standard BT range), then I need to enter my pin. My phone is also set to smart unlock with my BT headsets (stereo and Jawbone), and BT in my cars. I've also set up trusted locations for my work address and my home address (this is probably a little less secure). Anyways - I only enter my pin 1x every morning.

Because my phone is unlocked (while paired wiht my BT or at home/work), I can double tap a text message on the notification screen to go straight to that text message and respond - I think that answers one of your questions.

I also have set my google wallet to NEVER ask for a pin - because I trust phone's pin. If my phone gets stolen/lost, I will change my google account settings ASAP. To use google wallet, I only need to turn the screen on, and then tap my phone (because my phone is already unlocked because of my Moto 360). If the phone is taken more than 30ft from my watch while at the store etc., then a PIN would need to be entered to unlock the screen to be able to use google wallet.

That is a very cool feature. There was a cydia tweak I used that let me do something similar so I look forward to that.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Got my Nexus 6 yesterday and I love it! This is what I was talking about with regards to the visual voicemail.
f8881651b94e2335f67a75a4a2740385.jpg

Last edited: