Coming back to Android

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I just bought my Nexus 6 today and I was wondering if you guys had some good recommendations for Apps I should download as soon as I get my phone as I haven't used Android as my daily driver since 2012. I tried coming back with the Nexus 5 but that only lasted a week before fleeing back to my iPhone. LOL.

This time I really want to use the 6 so I can see how my switch back goes.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Apex Launcher
Handcent
Zooper pro
Spotify

Cool I used Handcent as my main messaging app exclusively have you tried at Textra? I was thinking of checking that one out.

I believe I bought Zooper but I mostly used Beatifil widgets

Prefer Rdio to Spotify

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I recommend you use the device fully stock and modify the things you feel don't suit your needs.

I like this approach also. Don't spend too much time configuring different launchers or setting up widgets. Stick to stock and once you find the need of doing something that is not covered in stock reach out to more customization.

Also, the answer will depend on what you want to do with your phone - media consumption, work and productivity, etc.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I like this approach also. Don't spend too much time configuring different launchers or setting up widgets. Stick to stock and once you find the need of doing something that is not covered in stock reach out to more customization.

Also, the answer will depend on what you want to do with your phone - media consumption, work and productivity, etc.

That's why I switched back to iOS after getting bored with the customization and also flashing a new rom almost weekly on my Gnex got tiresome. Plan on sticking to stock first.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
We can talk about non important stuff like messaging apps. I prefer Textra myself but here are some important apps;

AdAway
Root Call Blocker
SD maid
Titanium Backup
Root Explorer

f8599564cc286ee2553e0e6a9b61a501.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
IF!?! What the heck did you buy this phone for? If you're not going to root you might as well stay on the iPhone.

Just kidding

Well if you do decide to root they have made it pretty easy WugFresh has a tool out that will hold your hand through the whole process. It had been a while for me to but honestly I plugged in the USB cable and follow the on-screen instructions. I didn't download drivers or get anything ready. I just downloaded the tool and plugged my phone in. My how times have changed!

Sent from my Nexus 6

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
IF!?! What the heck did you buy this phone for? If you're not going to root you might as well stay on the iPhone.

Just kidding

Well if you do decide to root they have made it pretty easy WugFresh has a tool out that will hold your hand through the whole process. It had been a while for me to but honestly I plugged in the USB cable and follow the on-screen instructions. I didn't download drivers or get anything ready. I just downloaded the tool and plugged my phone in. My how times have changed!

Sent from my Nexus 6

LOL. I'm using a MacBook Pro with Yosemite anything compatible with that. Back in the day when I rooted and flashed my Gnex I was doing so on a PC.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That's why I switched back to iOS after getting bored with the customization and also flashing a new rom almost weekly on my Gnex got tiresome. Plan on sticking to stock first.

So you switched after getting bored with customization? Now you've already been talked into sticking to stock? Confused here..

Posted via the Android Central App

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
LOL. I'm using a MacBook Pro with Yosemite anything compatible with that. Back in the day when I rooted and flashed my Gnex I was doing so on a PC.

I booted my Mac Pro to bootcamp and used Windows . But yes you can still do it with your Mac and adb. I am just lazy in my old age.

Sent from my Nexus 6

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
So you switched after getting bored with customization? Now you've already been talked into sticking to stock? Confused here..

I'm currently on an iPhone 6 and at first I want to use the Nexus stock then get back into customizing. I'm over what I was doing when I had the Galaxy Nexus was literally flashing Liquid rom and Bamf every week and flashing different Franco Kernels it as crazy got tired of having to set up my phone so much and yes I did have Titanium. I want to get back into Android but I've been spoiled by a few things that I really love about my iPhone for one TouchID is awesome and Pay is pretty sick but I'm willing to give Lollipop a try and since I recently went back to stock iOS it kind of blows after being jail broken for a couple months.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I recommend you use the device fully stock and modify the things you feel don't suit your needs.

Back to the original question. It was answered perfectly here by this guy. Someone else can't tell you what cool apps night suit your needs best.

While I love the dog whistle app the most, but I like screwing with people that talk loudly on their phones in public. This app may be the most boring app to you ever.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Back to the original question. It was answered perfectly here by this guy. Someone else can't tell you what cool apps night suit your needs best.

While I love the dog whistle app the most, but I like screwing with people that talk loudly on their phones in public. This app may be the most boring app to you ever.

LOL yes I'm sure but since I've been gone from Android for so long I thought I would get some input from you guys who have been using it. I just went onto google play tonight on my Mac to look at all the apps I downloaded and holy crap there is a ton and I know 75% is crap that hasn't been updated since I was on Gingerbread maybe ICS.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
My list of apps is relatively uneventful. As I stopped rooting and installing custom roms, I also started to remove apps which sole purpose was to customize my phone - e.g. beautiful widgets, zooper pro, etc...

I now have three different widgets on my homescreens: the stock clock widget, smooth calendar (the app/widget I can't live without) and a task widget.

Regarding apps, I have all the usual suspects: the google apps, dropbox, facebook, swiftkey etc... The apps I use the most are probably Tunein Radio (which I dislike more and more with every update), Play Music and Pocketcast (I like to listen to things while I commute or take a shower). I also really like Pocket.

Maybe you can have a look at Pushbullet, which I think is relatively new.

Other than that for a while I had an app called Unified Remote which allowed me to control my laptop with the phone - that was pretty convenient when using the laptop with a projector.

That's about it for me!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I use pretty much the same apps on both platforms. iOS is more boring but my iPhone 6+ is a very capable device. I swap the SIM regularly. Carrying my Nexus 6 because I sideloaded 5.1 and I am testing g out the battery while on a business trip.

Posted via my Nexus 6!