Anyone switch their Note 4 for a N6 and are happy they did??

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Note 4 for a few months and cycled through a few phones I intended to replace it with. Always ended up selling off the other phones and came back to the Note 4.

Yesterday, I was trolling around on my local online classifieds. Saw a 64gig Nexus 6 for $550. Not bad. The seller also had a new Moto 360 with two charging docks he was trying to sell me for an extra $100. I said nah, he ended up throwing in the 360 as part of the $550 deal!

So, I opted to jump all in with the Nexus 6 and sold my Note 4 last night. So far, no regrets. I've owned every prior Nexus but avoided the Nexus 6 because the OLED screen isn't as good as the Note 4. It just isn't, full stop. But it's good enough.

Rooted stock already, smooth as butter. Battery has me concerned though as I don't work in an office and am out and about all day long. It was nice to have a spare charged Note 4 battery for a quick no-fuss swap out around 4pm each day, but I guess a power brick will work. More hassle, but not the end of the world.

I'll probably miss the IR blaster the most, oddly enough. I travel a lot and never touch hotel room remotes...now I will have to, but oh well.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Note 4 for a few months and cycled through a few phones I intended to replace it with. Always ended up selling off the other phones and came back to the Note 4.

Yesterday, I was trolling around on my local online classifieds. Saw a 64gig Nexus 6 for $550. Not bad. The seller also had a new Moto 360 with two charging docks he was trying to sell me for an extra $100. I said nah, he ended up throwing in the 360 as part of the $550 deal!

So, I opted to jump all in with the Nexus 6 and sold my Note 4 last night. So far, no regrets. I've owned every prior Nexus but avoided the Nexus 6 because the OLED screen isn't as good as the Note 4. It just isn't, full stop. But it's good enough.

Rooted stock already, smooth as butter. Battery has me concerned though as I don't work in an office and am out and about all day long. It was nice to have a spare charged Note 4 battery for a quick no-fuss swap out around 4pm each day, but I guess a power brick will work. More hassle, but not the end of the world.

I'll probably miss the IR blaster the most, oddly enough. I travel a lot and never touch hotel room remotes...now I will have to, but oh well.

I'm a noob when it comes to rooting...what's the best way to do.it?

Posted via the Android Central App

razortaz18

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Note 4 since launch. I have now purchased the Nexus 6 3 times. Each time I return it and go running back to my Note. I love the stock Nexus software but favor the Note's hardware. I've got another Nexus on the way now. Gonna give it another go. Lol

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Note 4 since launch. I have now purchased the Nexus 6 3 times. Each time I return it and go running back to my Note. I love the stock Nexus software but favor the Note's hardware. I've got another Nexus on the way now. Gonna give it another go. Lol

Just keep both. LOL. I currently have both the S6 and Nexus 6. I was planning on sticking with just one and selling the other, but couldn't decide which I liked more. I also prefer the stock lollipop experience, but it's hard to give up Samsung's great hardware :D

solotristan88

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I did!!! Thought about it for days. Here's what swayed me. I have had a Note since the Note 2. Liked the Note 4...but the lag pissed me off. The N6 is a sweet looking device...and I had a white N4. Not my thing. Got bored with it. Don't use all the bells and whistles....like multi screen, s pen and etc. I HATE Touchwiz and its ugly *** interface. I only use Nova launcher. In the past....I loved Motorola phones...as I have had the OG Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Charge(Samsung), Droid Bionic....then went to NOTe 4. Ever since Bionic...I hate Touchwiz!!! But I love big screens....always said a 6 inch would be perfect. The screen is not as nice....that's a fact....but not a huge difference. Battery life has been well....I work 12 hour days....with Moto 360 connected...leave work at around 75%. If u stay on it all day...it will die...like any phone. Camera is good....not quite as good as N4...but not that far off. Happy I switched. I will jump to Note 5 once it comes out....but am super happy with N6. There bus ZERO lag with this phone. A true beast!!!! Do it!!! U will be glad!!!!

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I did!!! Thought about it for days. Here's what swayed me. I have had a Note since the Note 2. Liked the Note 4...but the lag pissed me off. The N6 is a sweet looking device...and I had a white N4. Not my thing. Got bored with it. Don't use all the bells and whistles....like multi screen, s pen and etc. I HATE Touchwiz and its ugly *** interface. I only use Nova launcher. In the past....I loved Motorola phones...as I have had the OG Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Charge(Samsung), Droid Bionic....then went to NOTe 4. Ever since Bionic...I hate Touchwiz!!! But I love big screens....always said a 6 inch would be perfect. The screen is not as nice....that's a fact....but not a huge difference. Battery life has been well....I work 12 hour days....with Moto 360 connected...leave work at around 75%. If u stay on it all day...it will die...like any phone. Camera is good....not quite as good as N4...but not that far off. Happy I switched. I will jump to Note 5 once it comes out....but am super happy with N6. There bus ZERO lag with this phone. A true beast!!!! Do it!!! U will be glad!!!!

Why not jump to the next Nexus?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
how does camera, screen and battery compare to the Note 4?

It's not a an earth shattering difference. The camera is just fine. So is the screen and battery. I'm beginning to think people are expecting miracles from cell phones. No phone is perfect, but the Nexus 6 is very good. No complaints and no problems.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

WOW. Slow down dude. Take a breath. Enjoy life. Cell phones aren't life and death. They all do basically the same things.

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
What about signal strength comparisons? I am looking to get something new on Verizon and I had pretty much sworn off Samsung devices (Galaxy Nexus and now Note 3) because of the signal strength. Motorola devices have always had the best signal strength for me.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Day 2 on Nexus 6. Have been a Note 4 user since it launched. Below is the link to my post when I made the switch. So far so good. The nexus is all about one thing,The pure android OS experience. This makes the phone one of the fastest and smoothest I have ever had (and that is what is important to me). It feels better in the hand vs Note 4 due to its curve build and speaker sound is just unreal. But that's all what Nexus 6 has over the Note 4.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=531069

guthrien

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 4 at launch, I've been a die hard user since the 2. However, I really like android, and since the 2 there's been a heavy degradation with the development community each time. More resources just to unlock the phone, and a lack of interest in aosp ROMs due to the amount of "features" stuffed in the flagship.

The 4 was the end of the good ride for me. Its a perfectly fine, expected device with great components. TouchWiz is a bog that ends up getting in the way for everyone I know who used the phone. Doesn't matter what you do, after a bit it will feel like molasses. I'll miss it's truly wonderful camera, and clipping some things into my scrapbook, everything else was for a marketing sheet.

Nexus 6 is the first Nexus phone I owned, and it's likely where I'll stay since besides the also great One+ it's the last phone that feels like you still own it. People are still doing interesting things developing for stock devices.

The phone is beautiful and fast and unlike the Note, a true hybrid device between a tablet and phone. I've not been this happy with a device since the Note 2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Got N6 few days ago, still have OPO and returned N4. All 3 have pros and cons. So far all I can say is this, speakers on N6 are light years ahead of OPO and N4, design wise I like N6 more then OPO and N4 (OPO is cheaper quality then N4 and N6), screen quality on N6 is so so....pink at low brightness and direct sunlight visibility is not great (in this department OPO was much better), N6 also has the least amount of features. While N4 feels bloated and slow compared to N6 (not to disregard some very nice and unique N4 features), OPO is the real winner here with all extra features being 100% useful to most. OPO has amazing battery life best in any any phone I used, can't comment on N6 and N4. Also OPO has best I ever used LED light for notifications, its bright, not disturbing, and fully customizable thanks to CM. I know N6 has one too but I haven't made it to work yet.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
What about signal strength comparisons? I am looking to get something new on Verizon and I had pretty much sworn off Samsung devices (Galaxy Nexus and now Note 3) because of the signal strength. Motorola devices have always had the best signal strength for me.

I'm interested in this also.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in this also.

The note 4 is way better than the note 3 on signal strength. The nexus 6 is at least as good as the note 4. I sit in my house in a weird near-deadzone, and both the note 4 and n6 can hold a steady signal. The note 3 would lose signal occasionally.

My only negative for the n6 is the camera. It's not "nearly as good" as the note 4 as people have repeatedly claimed on this forum. I've been doing dozens of side-by-sides with both phones in various lighting for the last 2 days with my toddle and dogs and the n6 isn't even in the same ballpark at the note 4. There are details that are crystal clear on the note 4 pictures when you zoom in a little bit that are just blurry smudges on the n6.

Can the n6 take pictures that (uncropped) can happily go up on facebook? Yes. Is it anywhere near as good at the note 4? Not even close.

Of all the side-by-sides this is probably the one where the nexus 6 is closest to the note 4. See if you can guess which is the nexus and which is the note.

(hdr off for both, max rez for both, slight resizing to get the photos the same size, taken at the same time while i held both cameras with the focus on the dog's head, no post-processing)

Unfortunately for my decision of which to keep the nexus 6 is a way better experience in every other way than the note 4. Its smoother, app switching is great, the speakers are fantastic, and the benefits of the faster updates.

n6n4.jpg

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The note 4 is way better than the note 3 on signal strength. The nexus 6 is at least as good as the note 4. I sit in my house in a weird near-deadzone, and both the note 4 and n6 can hold a steady signal. The note 3 would lose signal occasionally.

My only negative for the n6 is the camera. It's not "nearly as good" as the note 4 as people have repeatedly claimed on this forum. I've been doing dozens of side-by-sides with both phones in various lighting for the last 2 days with my toddle and dogs and the n6 isn't even in the same ballpark at the note 4. There are details that are crystal clear on the note 4 pictures when you zoom in a little bit that are just blurry smudges on the n6.

Can the n6 take pictures that (uncropped) can happily go up on facebook? Yes. Is it anywhere near as good at the note 4? Not even close.

Of all the side-by-sides this is probably the one where the nexus 6 is closest to the note 4. See if you can guess which is the nexus and which is the note.

(hdr off for both, max rez for both, slight resizing to get the photos the same size, taken at the same time while i held both cameras with the focus on the dog's head, no post-processing)

Unfortunately for my decision of which to keep the nexus 6 is a way better experience in every other way than the note 4. Its smoother, app switching is great, the speakers are fantastic, and the benefits of the faster updates.

View attachment 179709

Picture on the left is the Nexus 6 ????? I think

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the post regarding reception.
The reception is my biggest want.
Then battery life.
Then user experience.
Then music.
Without going on, taking good pictures is least on my list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781