HI Guys,
    I got an OTA update notification for 5.1
    I downloaded and pressed install. It prompted me for a restart which i did.
    My phone has a setting which required me to punch in screen lock code everytime my phone restarts.
    Now, after restarting, it asks me to punch in the screen lock code.
    After punching in screen lock code, its stuck in boot animation loop
    Please help me what to do.
    ### Read some posts online and they mention " unlocking bootloader before updating. Can anyone tell me what is bootloader ? How do i check if my boot loader is locked or unlocked?

### I tried to boot in recovery mode and it shows me " No command"
    EDIT1- I wiped cache partition through recovery mode- still no luck. It's stuck in boot loop..

Plz help guys

( my phone is NOT rooted)
    03-24-2015 12:42 AM
    Ok..
    I solved the issue.
    Unfortunately, i had to do a factory reset-- lost my data

Lessons learnt-
    DO NOT enable the option which requires to enter lock code EVERY time the phone restarts / Disable it before updating your phone.
    I believe that messed up my update process.

Question--Is there a way to back up all sms/texts in hangouts / any other app ( WITHOUT ROOTING ) so that it can be recovered in the event of a factory reset???
    03-24-2015 02:50 AM
    Ok..
    I solved the issue.

Lessons learnt-
    DO NOT enable the option which requires to enter lock code EVERY time the phone restarts / Disable it before updating your phone.

Question--Is there a way to back up all sms/texts in hangouts / any other app ( WITHOUT ROOTING ) so that it can be recovered in the event of a factory reset???
    Is there a separate option for that cause I didn't see it anywhere or do you just have to disable security altogether?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    03-24-2015 03:23 AM
    Ok..
    I solved the issue.

Lessons learnt-

First off, I'm so sorry that you had to erase everything! Plenty of apps can back up your data like that. I use MyBackupPro. Another option that I know of is WugFresh which also has an full backup system, I believe.
    03-24-2015 07:37 AM
    Update 2.
    --------------------

A. After updating to 5.1 ( with numerous factory resets), my N6 has gone haywire with soo many crashes- apps, google play n N number of other google services. I think most of the apps and not optimized for 5.1

B. Factory resetted again but didnot restore any old apps backup. Only using default google apps + whatsapp. Seems a little bit stable with less crashes.
    Planning to wipe again and set it as a new device

3. Battery has gone to worst possible level of backup.

Lessons learnt- " Never be the early adopter for android release , or else be ready to get frustrated. "

Now i need to wait for google to release some patch for these app crashes.
    03-24-2015 01:16 PM
    Update 2.
    --------------------

A. After updating to 5.1 ( with numerous factory resets), my N6 has gone haywire with soo many crashes- apps, google play n N number of other google services. I think most of the apps and not optimized for 5.1

B. Factory resetted again but didnot restore any old apps backup. Only using default google apps + whatsapp. Seems a little bit stable with less crashes.
    Planning to wipe again and set it as a new device

3. Battery has gone to worst possible level of backup.

Lessons learnt- " Never be the early adopter for android release , or else be ready to get frustrated. "

Now i need to wait for google to release some patch for these app crashes.
    what about downgrading to 5.0. 1 or earlier?
    03-24-2015 01:52 PM
    what about downgrading to 5.0. 1 or earlier?
    How do i downgrade? Please tell me

( i am not rooted )
    03-24-2015 02:58 PM
    Download WugFresh on your PC. And it will give you the option to flash stock image. Choose which version you want from their option and that's basically it. It will do the rest for you hopefully
    03-24-2015 03:39 PM
    Update 3.
    :
    1. google play services, google dialer, google contacts, system UI - all experiencing random and frequent crashes
    2. Unchecking following option while setting a PIN lock makes phone reboot faster within 20-30 seconds. If checked, it takes at least 15++ minutes
    " require passcode when the device boots up " ----- Keep it Disabled

3. I did factory reset, set it as a new device ONLY running default google apps + exchange email + whatsapp. NOTHING else.
    Crash frequency is a little bit reduced.

Is anyone else facing same issues after updating to 5.1 ???
    03-25-2015 04:29 AM
    Update 3.
    :
    1. google play services, google dialer, google contacts, system UI - all experiencing random and frequent crashes
    2. Unchecking following option while setting a PIN lock makes phone reboot faster within 20-30 seconds. If checked, it takes at least 15++ minutes
    " require passcode when the device boots up " ----- Keep it Disabled

3. I did factory reset, set it as a new device ONLY running default google apps + exchange email + whatsapp. NOTHING else.
    Crash frequency is a little bit reduced.

Is anyone else facing same issues after updating to 5.1 ???
    I don't have any of these issues. Sounds like you need to start over completely

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-25-2015 07:31 AM
    Update 4

1. Now my google contacts is NOT syncing. ( tried many steps available online)
    2. whatsapp msgs vanish- whenever i open whatsapp, i get the message " initializing" as if i just did a fresh install and all messages are gone
    3. Call history vanished

This experience has left me in frustration, anger and disappointment.
    Seriously cursing myself for getting N6
    03-25-2015 09:24 AM
    I don't have any of these issues. Sounds like you need to start over completely

I already have done around 5-6 factory resets since yesterday ( 2 of them without restoring from old backup )
    03-25-2015 09:25 AM
    Have you tried google or moto support for a RMA(provided you purchased it from either of them)? Pretty sure it is still under warranty so you might need to go that route if other suggestions are not working for you. I've had none of the issues you are having and I just got 5.1D...

03-25-2015 09:32 AM
    Have you tried google or moto support for a RMA(provided you purchased it from either of them)? Pretty sure it is still under warranty so you might need to go that route if other suggestions are not working for you. I've had none of the issues you are having and I just got 5.1D...

Not an option, not bought from either of them
    03-25-2015 11:19 AM
    F U Google for screwing up my phone with a ****ty update..
    You people will ROT IN HELL !!!!!
    03-25-2015 11:30 AM
    Not their fault.. Mine updated without the issue you are experiencing. Wherever you got it from, there should still be a warranty as it is a one year deal with most products.. Especially if purchased new

03-25-2015 12:48 PM
    Try clearing the cache partition if you have not already. Directions on you tube or google. Takes a few minutes. I do it every time I sideload or flash a new update.

Posted via Nexus 6!
    03-25-2015 12:52 PM
    Try clearing the cache partition if you have not already. Directions on you tube or google. Takes a few minutes. I do it every time I sideload or flash a new update.

Posted via Nexus 6!
    Did it , yet no luck
    03-25-2015 12:52 PM
    Not their fault.. Mine updated without the issue you are experiencing. Wherever you got it from, there should still be a warranty as it is a one year deal with most products.. Especially if purchased new

I will get it checked. Thanks for the suggestion
    03-25-2015 12:53 PM
    I downloaded and flashed 5.1 image from google's website.
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

wiped cache, factory reset--- image flash- wiped cache, factory reset

STILL this piece of crap doesnot work.
    Seriously cursing myself that i dumped iphone for this ****.
    Last try :
    WIll try to flash 5.0 (LRX21O) , if it works- fine, if NOT, i will dump this crap and go back to a basic dumb phone.
    03-26-2015 04:00 AM
    I experienced similar issues after upgrading to 5.1.

Use WugFresh Nexus Toolkit to downgrade to 5.0.1 LRX22C. These issues do NOT exist in 5.0.1 so just use that for now until 5.1 is stabilized/patched.

Your issues will go away if you do this. Trust me, its not the phone, its the buggy 5.1 software that is messing up your phone.
    ak_r7 likes this.
    03-26-2015 09:21 AM
    If it is buggy code how do you explain all the people, including myself, that have a rock solid performance with no issues?

Honestly my only complaint is the Bluetooth connection. When I switch tracks manually via bluetooth the screen comes on that is my one and only problem.

Sent from my Google N6 on VZ
    03-26-2015 12:21 PM
    So, Finally , after 4 days of headache, i managed to get back to 5.0.1 LRX22C

Just finished loading image, updating apps etc as of now. Will let everyone know feedback after using it for sometime.
    ( i believe it will work fine because earlier i was on 5.0.1 and almost everything worked fine. The only issue i can remember is sometimes- playstore wont open- had to clear cache to make that work)

For anyone else in a similar situation, watch these 2 video's ...That's how i did it

PS- Moderators- I am not sure if sharing youtube links is against forum rules. If it is, please let me know, i will remove the links.
    Please don't ban me :P :P
    03-26-2015 03:06 PM
    From now onwards,
    I will wait for at least 3 months after Google sends any update
    03-26-2015 03:10 PM
    If it is buggy code how do you explain all the people, including myself, that have a rock solid performance with no issues?

Honestly my only complaint is the Bluetooth connection. When I switch tracks manually via bluetooth the screen comes on that is my one and only problem.

Sent from my Google N6 on VZ
    5.1 has some serious messed up codes..
    I though i was the only one facing these issues- but after looking at comment from Raza K, i am 100% sure Google screwed up this time ( again!!)
    03-26-2015 03:33 PM