Downgrading on Mac

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I jumped the gun and sideloaded 5.1D on my Nexus 6 on T-Mobile. Received word from T Mobile that in order to get the next update that will include WiFi calling I need to be on 5.1M. There will be no OTA to get from D to M and there is no factory image of M to Flash. I never unlocked my bootloader or made a backup, but I've come to grips that I'll just have to wipe my device in order to unlock and downgrade back to 5.0.1 then either wait for the T Mobile OTA to push to my device or just adb sideload the OTA zip of 5.1M. Can this all be done using a Mac? Just sideloading the 5.1 zip was a first for me, but I want to make sure I get future updates from T Mobile. ANY help here or pointing in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I jumped the gun and sideloaded 5.1D on my Nexus 6 on T-Mobile. Received word from T Mobile that in order to get the next update that will include WiFi calling I need to be on 5.1M. There will be no OTA to get from D to M and there is no factory image of M to Flash. I never unlocked my bootloader or made a backup, but I've come to grips that I'll just have to wipe my device in order to unlock and downgrade back to 5.0.1 then either wait for the T Mobile OTA to push to my device or just adb sideload the OTA zip of 5.1M. Can this all be done using a Mac? Just sideloading the 5.1 zip was a first for me, but I want to make sure I get future updates from T Mobile. ANY help here or pointing in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Try following this video.

Posted via the Android Central App

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I unlocked my bootloader but now I the little android guy has been there erasing for the last 5-7 minutes. Is this normal?

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't take that long. No more than 2-3 minutes.

OK, I am back, phone is wiped. Now I just have to figure out how to flash this factory image. I am brand new to this, and that video was kind of confusing for me. I am better seeing it written out and not in video form. I am looking for somewhere online that has this process all mapped out.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I really appreciate all of your help today. I was able to unlock my bootloader, but I don't trust myself to go any further in trying to flash any factory images. I'm too scared I'll mess something up. I never would have sideloaded if I knew there were going to be all these carrier specific versions. Looks like I'm stuck. Thank you again for your help.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate all of your help today. I was able to unlock my bootloader, but I don't trust myself to go any further in trying to flash any factory images. I'm too scared I'll mess something up. I never would have sideloaded if I knew there were going to be all these carrier specific versions. Looks like I'm stuck. Thank you again for your help.

Flashing a factory image is really not that hard. BUT, if the "D" version is working fine for you, you really have no need to switch right away. No significant differences have been noticed yet between the D and M versions.

At this time, there is no D to M OTA, but that's not to say that there won't be one in the future. Also, I would not be surprised if Google merges all carrier versions into one version in the near future.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Flashing a factory image is really not that hard. BUT, if the "D" version is working fine for you, you really have no need to switch right away. No significant differences have been noticed yet between the D and M versions.

At this time, there is no D to M OTA, but that's not to say that there won't be one in the future. Also, I would not be surprised if Google merges all carrier versions into one version in the near future.

I have the SDK tools 24.1.2 and SDK platform-tools 22 as well as the API 22 and 21 on my computer from SDK Manager. If I do want to downgrade, do I need any of the older build tools? I.E. 22.0.1,22?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the SDK tools 24.1.2 and SDK platform-tools 22 as well as the API 22 and 21 on my computer from SDK Manager. If I do want to downgrade, do I need any of the older build tools? I.E. 22.0.1,22?
I don't think so. To be honest, I've been using the same fastboot/adb that I downloaded to install Android 4.4.4 - and that has worked just fine for 4.4.4, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2 and 5.1 :) I don't use the flash-all script though - that fails. I have always flashed the individual img files extracted from the main file.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. To be honest, I've been using the same fastboot/adb that I downloaded to install Android 4.4.4 - and that has worked just fine for 4.4.4, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2 and 5.1 :) I don't use the flash-all script though - that fails. I have always flashed the individual img files extracted from the main file.

Yeah doing the flash-all script fails. I flash the individual img files except for the userdata img file and the cache img file so I won't lose my data.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is going to be my first time flashing a factory image. I am currently on 5.1D but I am going to downgrade flash back down to 5.0.1. I am using a Mac. I downloaded the factory image. Unzipped it and added./ in front of all the fastboot files. I then erased the w from the beginning of the update file as to not wipe my device. My bootloader is already unlocked. When I erase the w should it look like./fastboot - update image-shamu-lrx22c.zip or./fastboot - update image-shamu-lrx22c.zip

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Sorry, is it./fastboot - or./fastboot-