Buying soon, want to make sure I get 5.1

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm buying finally because I've heard how great 5.1 is. I'm on T-Mobile now and want to make sure I can get 5.1 OTA. I can either buy it with payments from T-Mobile or in full from google play. Will either version not give me OTA or which would give me OTA?

Another ot question but did 5.1 bring any improvements to the camera software?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Neither version won't. (I wouldn't buy one with 5.0-5.0.2 - the memory leak wasn't fixed until 5.1.) As for the camera, "improving" the best Samsung camera app would change it from almost useless to terrible. Count on using A Better Camera, Camera FV-5 Lite, Open Camera or some other 3rd party camera app. (Most of the worst of them are better than the best of Samsung.)

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can update any Nexus 6 to 5.1. Getting OTA is another thing that depends on your carrier. I load what I want I don't take OTAs.

I do find the camera lacking in functionality however I prefer Open Camera.

Sent from my Benzo'd Google N6 on VZ

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Whichever way you choose to buy, setup the phone on wifi without the sim card in it. You should get a message to update to 5.1. Phone Arena (as posted on AC) had an article about this. I did this with my Att Nexus (factory reset) and it worked.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all it sounds like I should be able to get the update pretty easily. Has T-Mobile pushed the update yet or will I have to go the wifi trick route?

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
As soon you bout the phone and get on Wi-Fi, update it with the T-Mobile chip. Once done the install your carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The T-Mobile 5.1 OTA update has been out for a while now. Likely a new Nexus 6 will update as soon as you get WiFi up. Also, a separate update to enable WiFi calling should be out very soon.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
It would not update to 5.1 when I was Cricket even though this is a carrier free from Motorola ( the offered this to me because my xt1053de was not available under warranty). With T-Mobile back in it updated immediately , even though I don't have an active plan with big pink.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I went to the T-Mobile store to mess around with it today before I pull the trigger. The demo phone said update 5.1 is waiting so that's a good sign!

Going to order tonight but I'm still debating white vs blue. 64gb of course.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It would not update to 5.1 when I was Cricket even though this is a carrier free from Motorola ( the offered this to me because my xt1053de was not available under warranty). With T-Mobile back in it updated immediately , even though I don't have an active plan with big pink.

I too have Cricket. Bought on Play Store. Did the sim card pull factory reset trick and it upgraded to 5.1 immediately!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34