I just came over to Android from my WP Nokia 1520 and so far I regret the decision. Latest thing is that the N6 cannot use miracast?

I can deal with the aweful battery life, unresponsive camera and poor mail apps, but I need miracast for work and personal stuff.

Why on earth would google take this feature away? Standard miracast devices are so much better than Chromecast because it mirrors the screen, not displays some apps.

My god, please someone tell me there is a way to turn this on besides putting this thing on eBay.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-06-2015 08:38 PM
    Although u insulted the phone that I hold dear I will impart some knowledge. You can mirror your phone's screen on Chromecast.

Make sure you are connected to your Chromecast and everything is working well. Then check the toggles on your notification pane. You should see a Chromecast toggle there as long as your set up correctly with Chromecast.

B. Diddy likes this.
    04-06-2015 09:29 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! cozzy123's suggestion is spot on. My impression is that Miracast never really caught on, so I wouldn't be surprised if fewer phones support it in the near future.

There quite a few 3rd part email apps available on Google Play, so if the stock Email app or Gmail aren't to your liking, check out the offerings there.
    04-06-2015 09:33 PM
    Didn't mean to insult the phone, and the mail thing beyond the phones control.

Just sucks because so much of our training is done using miracast TVs and dongles because it works with phones and PCs.

Found out the WiFi adapter is capable of miracast and some rooted work arounds. May try them tonight and post back.

04-06-2015 09:50 PM
    I was also pretty disappointed by this omission, especially since many Android phones DO support Miracast right out of the box.

My guess was just that Google wanted to leave it out of their flagship to steer more people toward the Chromecast.

AC App
    Nexus 6
    04-07-2015 06:31 AM
    I just came over to Android from my WP Nokia 1520 and so far I regret the decision. Latest thing is that the N6 cannot use miracast?

I can deal with the aweful battery life, unresponsive camera and poor mail apps, but I need miracast for work and personal stuff.

Why on earth would google take this feature away? Standard miracast devices are so much better than Chromecast because it mirrors the screen, not displays some apps.

My god, please someone tell me there is a way to turn this on besides putting this thing on eBay.

Miracast was removed because the same features are on Chromecast. And if your camera is unresponsive and mail apps aren't working properly I would have your phone checked, mine work just fine. As far as battery life, yes, it could be better. But with marshmallow, battery life has improved dramatically.

10-23-2015 08:01 PM
    Didn't mean to insult the phone, and the mail thing beyond the phones control.

Just sucks because so much of our training is done using miracast TVs and dongles because it works with phones and PCs.

Found out the WiFi adapter is capable of miracast and some rooted work arounds. May try them tonight and post back.

Xda currently has a way to reenable miracast on the nexus 6. Check it out.

10-23-2015 08:03 PM
    I believe Chromecast screen sharing requires a functioning wifi network to work, whereas Miracast uses direct wifi (a device to device connection, which does not require a router).

Thus, there are many situations (hotel rooms, for example) where Miracast is much more convenient.

It's too bad Google made it a pain to enable on the Nexus 6 (and the 6P for that matter)
    wikison likes this.
    11-08-2015 06:06 PM
    Chromecast requires an internet connection, Miracast does not. I want to use my phone to provide Direct TV in my motor home. If Chromcast would work without the internet it would be a great solution.
    02-23-2017 07:38 AM
    You doesn't need any of the patches or 3rd party apps.
    You just need to follow these steps in order to use cast screen in custom roms:
    1. Just enable wifi 'on'
    2.Open cast & it shows all available devices.
    07-15-2017 07:02 AM