Lost 5.1 update.

odror

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been waiting to for the 5.1 update to show up on my phone.

Two weeks ago I traveled to the UK. I replaced the cricket SIM card with a local SIM card. The 5.1 update showed up on my phone almost immediately.
I did not want to upgrade the phone while I was abroad, primary because the phone is rooted and I needed to be able to tether.

As soon as I came back to the US I replaced the UK SIM with the cricket SIM card. I lost the ability to upgrade to 5.1. Now when I look for an update I get the message that my phone is up to date (at 5.01).

My phone is an unlocked phone bought from google.

Can any one explain that. Will I ever get the update automatically while I am in the US. Is there a way to install the update manually without (factory resetting the phone)

Thanks

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yup, you can manually apply the update. Won't cause you to lose anything, just as if you automatically got the over the air update.

Manually Install Official Android 5.1 Lollipop On…: http://youtu.be/ZNEXCY-wHpw

This is the guide I was referred to by someone here. Pretty easy to follow, since I was pretty rusty at this kind of stuff.

FYI I'm pretty sure you need to be un-rooted to do this method.

And yea, certain carriers...<cough> AT&T...seem to be holding up this update. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a Nexus I think.

AC App
Nexus 6

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting! I don't have an answer to your problem, but I too am on Cricket and haven't gotten the update. I'm wondering if the sim card pull trick will work. I'm about ready to sideload.

odror

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I inserted the UK SIM card back in my phone. I got the 5.1 update immediately. I unrooted the phone using supersu. I got an error during the update.
Now my phone is not rooted ( or half way rooted). The upgrade fails. Any ideas how fix that without full restore. Thanks.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
But, I just reread your post, if you are rooted and have a custom recovery installed, you won't get the update and even if you do, it won't install.

Also, I learned a trick about tethering on Cricket. Pull the sim card, turn on wifi hotspot, put the sim card back in. It will tether, although the speed was excruciatingly slow on my tablet!

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
At this point I would just flash the full 5.1 and start clean. Of course, that's a full wipe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

odror

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I unrooted the phone using NRT (I had to force the unrooting and restoring to 5.01). Then I Placed the UK SIM card. Within a 1/2 hour I got the notification to updated my phone (over wifi). I successfully updated the phone to 5.1 OTA.

The thing that really bother me is the fact that I bought an unlocked phone from google, but the update to 5.1 was withheld because I am on ATT network (Cricket). This is not what I expected when I bought an unlocked phone.

My wife has "unlocked" ATT moto X 2013 (still waiting for the 5.0 update). Placing the UK SIM card did not bring the 5.0 update. In fact I did not get any network signal. May be the Unlocked phone is not unlocked.