any word on T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling??

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. count me as another (still patient) user. I am itching to unload the LTE booster I have at the house and replace it (and my wireless router) with that awesome router T-Mobile offers. But I won't do that until the 6 gets WFC.

I even have my wife's G3 running Cloudy (LP), which doesn't have WFC.. but that goes back to the 'stock' version once I get it on my 6.

And its ALLLLL about the battery. My phone radio accounts for about 15% of the power usage when I'm at the house, so going to WFC eliminates that.... which would give me roughly an extra hour of screen time.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Most of you probably already know this but, regardless of your carrier, you can make outgoing calls via wifi by using the Hangouts Dialer (a separate app from Hangouts). Doing it that way works much better both in terms of call quality and battery usage.

I just got an N6 and that's the only way I can make calls since I don't yet have the sim that I ordered.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Most of you probably already know this but, regardless of your carrier, you can make outgoing calls via wifi by using the Hangouts Dialer (a separate app from Hangouts). Doing it that way works much better both in terms of call quality and battery usage.

I just got an N6 and that's the only way I can make calls since I don't yet have the sim that I ordered.

Irrelevant and completely different.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Irrelevant and completely different.

Well, it is different, but I wouldn't say irrelevant. The primary purpose for T-Mobile's WiFi Calling capability is to extend your phone service to areas where the signal is poor or non-existent. With the addition of the dialer to Hangouts, people can now still make and receive phone calls solely over their data connection, whether it be WiFi or Mobile (yes, it works across your mobile data connection as well).

And.... unlike your 'regular' phone number... With Hangouts, you can send and recieve those calls without even having your phone with your (you can make calls from a tablet or desktop)

I am not so sure the extent of Hangouts' calling capability is widely known.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, it is different, but I wouldn't say irrelevant. The primary purpose for T-Mobile's WiFi Calling capability is to extend your phone service to areas where the signal is poor or non-existent. With the addition of the dialer to Hangouts, people can now still make and receive phone calls solely over their data connection, whether it be WiFi or Mobile (yes, it works across your mobile data connection as well).

And.... unlike your 'regular' phone number... With Hangouts, you can send and recieve those calls without even having your phone with your (you can make calls from a tablet or desktop)

I am not so sure the extent of Hangouts' calling capability is widely known.

I know. But people can't reach you on your number. Not the same. I know, you didn't claim it was, bit I dont like when people post as if it's just as good.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know. But people can't reach you on your number. Not the same. I know, you didn't claim it was, bit I dont like when people post as if it's just as good.

On your carrier number... correct. But anyone can call your Google Voice number and get you.

To be honest, when I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, I asked if I could port my number to Google, but they said that I needed to port the number in order to get the ETF covered. Ideally, I'd have my 15+ year old wireless number pushed up to Google and just forward to whatever phone I want.

Maybe I'll revisit this one day and see if T-Mobile will play ball a bit....

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
On your carrier number... correct. But anyone can call your Google Voice number and get you.

To be honest, when I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, I asked if I could port my number to Google, but they said that I needed to port the number in order to get the ETF covered. Ideally, I'd have my 15+ year old wireless number pushed up to Google and just forward to whatever phone I want.

Maybe I'll revisit this one day and see if T-Mobile will play ball a bit....

What if you just started the port on Google's site now?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What if you just started the port on Google's site now?

Well, there's nothing to stop me from porting my number, but in the process of porting, the line gets canceled on the carrier end... and my number is my primary line.... So what I need to do is go to T-Mobile and tell them to not cancel that line when they get the porting request from Google, but instead just assign a new mobile number.

I don't want to mess up the account. I have the grandfathered JUMP and I don't want to lose that.

They might do it.... I mean, T-Mobile has been pretty cool about things like this and working with their customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech