Ok Google not working after update

dijit4l

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me after an update I received a few days ago. I found a solution.

1. Delete your old voice model. Go to the Google Settings app. Go to Search & Now > Voice > "OK Google Detection and tap on "Delete Voice Model."
  2. Switch between Enhanced and Basic Google Voice Input. Go to Settings > Language & Input > Voice Input and tap on "Basic Google Recognition." After it switches, tap on "Enhanced Google services."
  3. Retrain your voice model. You should still be in Voice Input, tap on the gear icon. Tap on "OK Google" detection. Toggle "Always on" and and tap on "Retrain Voice Model."

I feel like something became corrupted between updates somehow. I hope this helps.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me after an update I received a few days ago. I found a solution.

1. Delete your old voice model. Go to the Google Settings app. Go to Search & Now > Voice > "OK Google Detection and tap on "Delete Voice Model."
  2. Switch between Enhanced and Basic Google Voice Input. Go to Settings > Language & Input > Voice Input and tap on "Basic Google Recognition." After it switches, tap on "Enhanced Google services."
  3. Retrain your voice model. You should still be in Voice Input, tap on the gear icon. Tap on "OK Google" detection. Toggle "Always on" and and tap on "Retrain Voice Model."

I feel like something became corrupted between updates somehow. I hope this helps.

Ok, so here's what I've discovered. When my phone is completely locked it will wake with the Google command such as "ok Google, set a twenty second timer." Google will respond as if the timer will be set, but it will not complete the timer until I give it the exact same instruction a second time. It will follow through and the screen will shut down and lock after the repeat command. But, the timer did get set and the alarm will sound at twenty seconds despite the screen being off. Somehow, the original command is an unlock action and the second command completes it. It's still a bug in there, but at least the workaround is good. If you have a different experience please tell me. I may reconsider a factory reset if that will get it working like it's supposed to.

Posted via the Android Central App

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so here's what I've discovered. When my phone is completely locked it will wake with the Google command such as "ok Google, set a twenty second timer." Google will respond as if the timer will be set, but it will not complete the timer until I give it the exact same instruction a second time. It will follow through and the screen will shut down and lock after the repeat command. But, the timer did get set and the alarm will sound at twenty seconds despite the screen being off. Somehow, the original command is an unlock action and the second command completes it. It's still a bug in there, but at least the workaround is good. If you have a different experience please tell me. I may reconsider a factory reset if that will get it working like it's supposed to.

It's because the first time you are supposed to press the timer icon to confirm it. This always happens when the screen is locked. It works when you say it a second time because the screen is already unlocked. It always works when my screen is unlocked. Don't know why Google have made it this way though because it is not hands free then unless you repeat it twice.

ladyg91702

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I too have the same problem ever since the update. I have the Droid Turbo and ever since the update I can say OK GOOGLE all I want while screen is off and it will not respond.. It also does not work when I am on Bluetooth and I get a text, it ask me if I want to listen I say LISTEN and it never hears me. Just keeps saying sorry we are having trouble. uuugghhh I retrain my voice, I delete and retrain and still the same problem! So upsetting :-( what is the use of this if it don't work.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I too have the same problem ever since the update. I have the Droid Turbo and ever since the update I can say OK GOOGLE all I want while screen is off and it will not respond.. It also does not work when I am on Bluetooth and I get a text, it ask me if I want to listen I say LISTEN and it never hears me. Just keeps saying sorry we are having trouble. uuugghhh I retrain my voice, I delete and retrain and still the same problem! So upsetting :-( what is the use of this if it don't work.

Sounds like your issue is more about the droid than "ok Google." Like I said, with my nexus, it works while the screen is off and locked. You just have to give the command twice in order to complete action. The nexus 6 actually works excellent with Bluetooth. I have it such that my phone is unlocked when I'm connected to Bluetooth and the way it works "hands free" is impressive! If you ask Google now to send a text while on Bluetooth, it will actually repeat your text back to you before asking you to send it. Neat stuff!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Personal results toggled on does work, but it's still not perfect. If you ask Google now to do anything with the clock app or phone app, it will not complete the command until you unlock the phone. That really sucks because it was working before 5.1. In fact, it won't even turn on the flashlight any more from the Lockscreen, unless you unlock first. Grrr!

It actually will turn the flashlight on mine, with the screen off and PIN lock enabled. I just have to ask it twice , LoL.
I speak "ok Google", "turn on flashlight" which it shows it heard me correct ,,but the flashlight is off.The pop up box shows flashlight toggled off. If I say it again it turns it on the second time. :)

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It actually will turn the flashlight on mine, with the screen off and PIN lock enabled. I just have to ask it twice , LoL.
I speak "ok Google", "turn on flashlight" which it shows it heard me correct ,,but the flashlight is off.The pop up box shows flashlight toggled off. If I say it again it turns it on the second time. :)

Same thing I said but different words. The initial command is the unlock and the repeat command takes the action. It's not perfect, but it works.

turbonut20v

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
After a system update my nexus 6 "OK Google" detection stopped working properly, if I click on the mic icon in the search bar it works fine, but when I go to re-enable always on detection it puts me back to retrain voice recognition, but it doesn't pic up my voice anymore, its like it cant hear me, sometimes when I click to start training it immediately says something went wrong, and can't complete the 3 training steps, I also lost the option to delete voice models or train for a new voice model outside of the OK Google section. Something funky is going on.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
After a system update my nexus 6 "OK Google" detection stopped working properly, if I click on the mic icon in the search bar it works fine, but when I go to re-enable always on detection it puts me back to retrain voice recognition, but it doesn't pic up my voice anymore, its like it cant hear me, sometimes when I click to start training it immediately says something went wrong, and can't complete the 3 training steps, I also lost the option to delete voice models or train for a new voice model outside of the OK Google section. Something funky is going on.
My OK Google detection after the latest update is messed up again as well it doesn't return any search results at all now. Very frustrating.

Lowrider999

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all. I found that i needed to turn off MotoVoice and OK GOOGLE, Then empty my cache. And of course turn above back on and Retrain. Thanks again

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I try to fix my okay Google detection with full hotword detection by switching between the two voice input methods and it did not work here on my screenshots had to turn off the lock screen method and it works fine. I don't get why I won't work with the lock screen activated.uploadfromtaptalk1445922747648.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445922756797.jpg

out2late

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Latest google version 5.5.26.19 arm64

Not working on my M8 or G4 either. Only way for it to work again is to use the factory version until google can fix it.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok Google is not working on my Nexus 6 after the marshmallow update. I cant even keep the always ON option. It defaults back to OFF. The voice funcationalities have been lost. This may be one of the reasons for the slow rollout.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Google app was updated a few days ago and since then I can no longer day ok Google when the screen is off. Looks like a few people have the same problem looking at the reviews on the play store. Anyone else have the problem? Is there a way of reverting back?

I just turned this feature on and it works. Have you tried retaining it to recognize your voice? I'm on 5.1.1

jottosson

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
So I try to fix my okay Google detection with full hotword detection by switching between the two voice input methods and it did not work here on my screenshots had to turn off the lock screen method and it works fine. I don't get why I won't work with the lock screen activated.

Add the voice as a Trusted Voice in Phone settings - Security - Smart Lock (ot Google search app - slide in from right - Settings - Voice - On Google detection). When saying "OK Google" the phone instantly unlocks and you can continue with the question

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Add the voice as a Trusted Voice in Phone settings - Security - Smart Lock (ot Google search app - slide in from right - Settings - Voice - On Google detection). When saying "OK Google" the phone instantly unlocks and you can continue with the question
Yes this phone works fine now. I have another phone and my Nexus 6 and on later software. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2