Ok Google not working after update

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Google app was updated a few days ago and since then I can no longer day ok Google when the screen is off. Looks like a few people have the same problem looking at the reviews on the play store. Anyone else have the problem? Is there a way of reverting back?

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a system app. If you select uninstall from the Play Store, it will roll you back to the original version. But, just to warn you, it will wipe out any data associated, including your home screen layout if you use Google Now Launcher.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
How is your battery since the update? I don't see it in battery stats, but I suspect this app acting up somehow, draining my battery faster than normal. The battery issue seems to coincide with the time I got the Google update.

AC App
Nexus 6

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Google app was updated a few days ago and since then I can no longer day ok Google when the screen is off. Looks like a few people have the same problem looking at the reviews on the play store. Anyone else have the problem? Is there a way of reverting back?

Are you certain? I'm thinking factory reset is in order. The cool thing about the factory reset is that Google makes a pretty good attempt at restoring your home screens once you log back in. I'm not having this problem. However, if you have selected the hands-free option in settings, then your screen will NOT light up if it was previously off. It will give you the information verbally or just complete the command and request your confirmation. It's pretty darn neat! If you send a text via hands-free, Google will repeat the text to you and then give you the option to send! Cool beans!

Posted via the Android Central App

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
This is something you may have already checked but is it possible your phone reverted back to the "From the google app" setting only and turned off "always on" in "Ok google" detection? travel to Settings>Language/input>Voice Input>Enhanced google services tool icon>"ok google" detection.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another way to get there...
From launcher home swipe to launch Google Now -> Tap top left of screen for menu -> Settings -> Voice -> "Ok Google" detection -> turn on "Always on" and follow the prompts for voice training

Should solve your issue

Last edited:

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Well woke up this morning and is not working again. Nothing has changed on my phone. More reviews on play store saying ok Google not working for them.

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Still not working properly. I have found it if I say ok Google about 3 times from the lock screen it eventually wakes up and does it. If I wake the phone manually and lock it straight away ok Google works for a while. Then stops. Do all you thy have it working properly on the lockscreen have a security code or something enabled to unlock?

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
OK, i think I feel like an ***** now. I think to get it working on the lockscreen you have to have the personal results option turned on. I had it turned off.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, i think I feel like an ***** now. I think to get it working on the lockscreen you have to have the personal results option turned on. I had it turned off.

Personal results toggled on does work, but it's still not perfect. If you ask Google now to do anything with the clock app or phone app, it will not complete the command until you unlock the phone. That really sucks because it was working before 5.1. In fact, it won't even turn on the flashlight any more from the Lockscreen, unless you unlock first. Grrr!

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
It still not working properly. I have to speak 3 or 4 times sometimes. When I lift the phone and the ambient display comes on it works every time. Its just when the screen is off. Maybe its not recognising my voice but I have retrained it loads of times.

Gatek33per

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
just got my s6 on Friday same issue...will work for a couple seconds after screen goes black than nothing...when the screen wakes up(even locked) no problem. Used to love this for my hands free while driving...really pissing me off

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing precisely the same issues you have described in this thread and have tried all of the same rectification actions, resulting in the same outcomes.

I'm not sure if I had the problem before 5.1, but am wondering if something happened there.

Tis a shame as, at times, I find the voice activation to be genuinely useful on a device with a 6" screen. Still, I hope to see it corrected in future updates.

For others suffering with this problem, make sure to send some feedback directly to Google via the Search in-app link.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes...doing it to me also since 5.1. Real bummer.
I don't get it...doesn't anyone "real world" test devices? In general, not just the n6. Someone would have caught this bug within hours.

I'm sure the next update will address though.

purpleparrotuk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes...doing it to me also since 5.1. Real bummer.
I don't get it...doesn't anyone "real world" test devices? In general, not just the n6. Someone would have caught this bug within hours.

I'm sure the next update will address though.

Unfortunately Google have done at least 2 updates that haven't helped at all. Despite
all the negative review on Google play.

Cherah85

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
OK Google quit working for me as well after the update. I tried everything to fix it and ended up having to do a factory reset.

*~Cherah~*

M0F0

May 27, 2014
Visit site
The issue is affecting Galaxy S6's too guys. Except we haven't even got the option to enable "from any screen" anymore. There's a thread in the Google Product forum about it. I can't post links yet though unfortunately so you'll have to navigate there yourself. If you could post in it so Google can be made aware that it's affecting more phones it might help to get a bit more traction.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2