Wet phone

stuarta99

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My wife has just accidentally dropped her phone down the toilet and unfortunately instinctively ran it under the tap to clean off. Initially it was working fine although it wasn't recognising the sim.

I've taken the sim out which was wet dryer it and out back in but still didn't recognise. Took it out again booted it, it came up with Android logo and asked for pin but then went blank. Took sim out again and was some water which she shook out.

Now still blank and failing to boot. We've put it in the rice and seems to be suggested it came up with Google with white lines but gone off again.

Anybody got any ideas?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Leave it in the rice for 24-48 hours and see if that helps.

I'm honestly not super confident that the phone will work properly though.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
My wife has just accidentally dropped her phone down the toilet and unfortunately instinctively ran it under the tap to clean off. Initially it was working fine although it wasn't recognising the sim.

I've taken the sim out which was wet dryer it and out back in but still didn't recognise. Took it out again booted it, it came up with Android logo and asked for pin but then went blank. Took sim out again and was some water which she shook out.

Now still blank and failing to boot. We've put it in the rice and seems to be suggested it came up with Google with white lines but gone off again.

Anybody got any ideas?

Read this over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ow-s/477140-guide-oh-no-my-phone-got-wet.html

Mav. :cool:

stuarta99

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok that last post tells you not to put in rice and obviously can't remove battery. Annoying because it seemed to be fine until I powered it off and did start to come up ok

stuarta99

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Oddly taken out the rice and still dead. Plugged it into charger and got the green led which I thought was only enabled through rooting. White battery indicator then came up after a while and green led went off. However still nothing

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused. I've been rather smug about the water resistance of this phone because of a video I've seen where a guy submerged the phone in a bathtub and took videos underwater. He was careful not to touch any buttons, only on screen selections. Is this the difference? stuarta99 & wife might have had a better outcome if they hadn't touched the phone other than to towel dry and place where there's good circulation (aka not a forceful fan, but a nice breeze)?

I'm assuming that taking out the sim required pressing the off button, which could have introduced water?
Found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxiRSDF0Ke0

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming that taking out the sim required pressing the off button, which could have introduced water?

That's what I'm assuming as well. For anyone who doesn't know, the correct steps to take when you dunk your phone (or rinse it off) are:

1) Turn it off! Water is much less likely to damage the electronics if they are not in use.

2) Towel dry so there isn't any external moisture. Do NOT open any trays, and don't press buttons more than necessary to shut down.

3) Place in a bag or jar of rice (uncooked - I presume that's obvious, but just in case).

3) Wait 24-48 hours before turning it back on.

I know it sucks to have to wait around not knowing the status of your phone, but following these steps will greatly enhance the survivability of a phone. With ones that are water resistant like the Moto X or the Nexus 6 it will almost guarantee a full recovery (and this isn't just theory, my wife dropped her Moto X in the toilet about a month ago and it came out the otherside of these steps alive and well).

Note that I'm not trying to cast aspersion on the OP - It's possible the directed water of the faucet had already done permanent damage, and even if not this is one of those scenarios where you just react, so if you don't have all of the information ahead of time it's very easy to do something else. I have friends and family members who have done the same thing. :(

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy submerged the nexus 6 in a bathroom sink full of water for an hour and he kept waking it up while submerged and it was fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish