Google play services completely draining the battery life of nexus 6.

Raj Rishi

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello all..
From a few days I have noticed that Google play services is totally draining my nexus 6 battery even though I have closed all apps like play music and play newsstand..I have now closed my location services and the Google now cards and after that its slightly better but then what's the point of having a nexus 6 if I can't use these features.. Previously I thought it was because of the 5.1 update but then I realized it has been a recent issue for the past week..
Please help anyone I have become really frustrated and don't know what to do now...

Posted via the Android Central App

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome.
Try this first:
Go into Settings, then Apps. Go into the All option, find Google Play Services and hit Clear Cache.
You can do the same on the Google Play Store if you want.
Reboot and see how it does.
Let us know if that does not help.

Mav. :cool:

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
How do you know for sure that Google Play Services is the cause of the battery drain?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If you look for a user named Skipjacks on XDA, he mentions Google Play Services as being the culprit of the excessive battery drain, and some tweaks you can make to basically any Android phone to help remedy the issue.

I say this because I was looking at reviews for the Nexus on Amazon and he had one where he mentioned tweaking his coworker's Nexus 6 to where the battery life is supposedly much better. I asked him what he'd done and he directed me to his post on XDA. The one caveat though is you have to be rooted.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem I uninstalled updates then reupdated app. This got rid of the problem

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
If you look for a user named Skipjacks on XDA, he mentions Google Play Services as being the culprit of the excessive battery drain, and some tweaks you can make to basically any Android phone to help remedy the issue.

I say this because I was looking at reviews for the Nexus on Amazon and he had one where he mentioned tweaking his coworker's Nexus 6 to where the battery life is supposedly much better. I asked him what he'd done and he directed me to his post on XDA. The one caveat though is you have to be rooted.

Can u post the link to the topic that is talking about the battery drain from Google Play Services?
Did u uninstall the play store app and then let it reinstall its updates or what? I looked under the apps section of google play services and it doesn't give me an option to uninstall updates.

Last edited:

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Can u post the link to the topic that is talking about the battery drain from Google Play Services?
Did u uninstall the play store app and then let it reinstall its updates or what? I looked under the apps section of google play services and it doesn't give me an option to uninstall updates.

Go to setting scroll down click on security scroll down click on device administrators unclick android device manager. Then go back into apps and click on play services and uninstall updates will now be avaliable to click. Uninstall then go to play store and reinstall. Go back to security and reclick on Android device manager. I then did a reboot and got rid of battery drain on my phone.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and help with uninstalling and reinstalling google derives, got it done, hopefully that will help with my battery drain.

Raj Rishi

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Welcome.
Try this first:
Go into Settings, then Apps. Go into the All option, find Google Play Services and hit Clear Cache.
You can do the same on the Google Play Store if you want.
Reboot and see how it does.
Let us know if that does not help.

Mav. :cool:

I followed the above mentioned flow and it really was wonderful. If none of the play services app are opened it really helps with the battery.. although the battery life is still a little sucky for nexus 6 but that's the problem of the phone..the play services is definitely not screwing the battery anymore..the drain is more based on the usage now..
Thanks a lot for the help...

P.S I gave it a couple of days before I replied to make sure everything's working fine so the method definitely works and factory reset is definitely not the option

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781