I Keep Looking at the Nexus 6 Longingly, But...

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
...this is why I just can't pull the trigger:

Google Nexus 6 explodes: Battery issue identified as main reason for explosion : News : News Every Day

Nexus 6 battery explodes, owner posts images online : News, News - India Today

This is terrible for Google, and it REALLY should call into question Motorola's quality control, or lack thereof. Six months after its release, and it's still happening?! This whole release has been an utter disaster, and rightly so, as reflected in Google's quarter earnings loss. I so wanted those front-facing speakers, and I was going to place my order next week, but I just can't. It looks like I'll have to wait for the next Nexus. And if LG is indeed building it, I'll have to content myself with LG's rear speaker placement (ugh). Really disappointed.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Google Nexus 6 explodes: Battery issue identified as main reason for explosion : News : News Every Day

This is terrible for Google, and it REALLY should call into question Motorola's quality control, or lack thereof. Six months after its release, and it's still happening?! This whole release has been an utter disaster, and rightly so, as reflected in Google's quarter earnings loss. I so wanted those front-facing speakers, and I was going to place my order next week, but I just can't. It looks like I'll have to wait for the next Nexus. And if LG is indeed building it, I'll have to content myself with LG's rear speaker placement (ugh). Really disappointed.
👎Wrong. Way overblown.
Check the general and development forums on XDA.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Both articles seem to be about the same phone - this is literally the first that I've heard of this issue. I was aware of the back separation on an early batch of units, (and Motorola replacing the affected units) but I've never even heard the accusation that it is widespread. I personally have the Nexus 6, but in my area it's not a common phone so I'm basically going by the issues that we help troubleshoot on the forums - and this is a new one. While I wouldn't discount that one user's experience (we don't know what they did to cause this, if anything), the one in a million situations happen to literally all devices (see bendgate, etc). One off freak accidents shouldn't be construed as normal and the statement in the article, "Most of the users of Nexus 6 have acknowledged that the battery of the smart phone swells up and the glued back panel of the phone opens." is outright false. It's unsubstantiated and there's also no possible way in which it could be true.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There are reports of iPhone, Samsung phones, etc. doing this as well. You may fine one or two but that is it. So out of millions .. it is one or two.

My question is always .. what did they do? I wouldn't be surprised if some of these issues were user-caused.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This whole release has been an utter disaster, and rightly so, as reflected in Google's quarter earnings loss.

I think you're referring to a portion of the "Other Projects" budget that showed lower revenues, part of which was attributed to lower Nexus sales (phones and tablets). Google's revenues, earnings per share and operating margins all increased year over year - although the increase was slightly less than the year over year increase realized the prior year. I don't recall anyone reporting that production defects in a single device caused Google to show a loss for any quarter. First the loss didn't exist, and second the Nexus sales were stymied by supply chain issues, but I haven't seen anything alarming regarding excessive RMA's or any systemic issues.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

This is still going on with you? For the love of god, just please buy phone or not and move on with your life.

Posted via the Android Central App

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Best phone on market and Motorola makes some of the highest quality phones on the market.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above, this happened to several iPhone models (haven't heard about one yet with the i6) and some Samsung's, and in most cases it's caused by using an inexpensive aftermarket charger that isn't properly rated. There's no story here, except that one person had really bad luck (or made a bad choice, depending on the circumstances).

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

It happens to one phone out of millions, and you're worried? <facepalm>

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, as much as you post in here I would have thought you had the Nexus 6 by now.... At this stage you might wait for this years Nexus?

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
You've been talking about getting the Nexus 6 for months OP but you continue to find obscure reasons not to. Maybe it just isn't the phone for you. I have to admit I'm pretty surprised to see that you're still debating it.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I waited four months but finally got an N6 about three weeks ago. It was rational to wait, IMO... since I didn't need a new phone right away and I had doubts about the back cover peeling off. Besides, it's usually better not to be an early adopter since the first few production batches tend to have problems.

I'm very happy with the N6 so far. Now I carry around two phones (N5 and N6) which is really nerdy but I own that.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I waited four months but finally got an N6 about three weeks ago. It was rational to wait, IMO... since I didn't need a new phone right away and I had doubts about the back cover peeling off. Besides, it's usually better not to be an early adopter since the first few production batches tend to have problems.

I'm very happy with the N6 so far. Now I carry around two phones (N5 and N6) which is really nerdy but I own that.

Thank you for understanding my hesitation with it, for those exact reasons. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend still rocking an old blackberry while perusing new phones every night for past 4 years. Analysis paralysis it's called. Early adopter of nexus 6 here. Works great battery life and temp fine back still on, screen never froze or split screened. You will be waiting for a while for perceived perfection.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a friend still rocking an old blackberry while perusing new phones every night for past 4 years. Analysis paralysis it's called. Early adopter of nexus 6 here. Works great battery life and temp fine back still on, screen never froze or split screened. You will be waiting for a while for perceived perfection.

It helps the bank account though. I don't know how much money I've spent since buying my OG droid when it came out. I don't want to know... Lol

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It helps the bank account though. I don't know how much money I've spent since buying my OG droid when it came out. I don't want to know... Lol

I can agree with that. Hopefully my Nexus 6 will be my daily driver for a few years. I think it will.

vepac

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I can agree with that. Hopefully my Nexus 6 will be my daily driver for a few years. I think it will.

I'm hoping my nexus 6 will last at least a few years too. That was my plan with my previous phone, but the battery degraded noticeably after one year. But the nexus 6 charges fast so I don't think I would mind as much since I wouldn't have to wait 2-2.5 hours to charge.

Posted via the Android Central App on my VZW Nexus 6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey