nexus 6 slows down

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Encryption is probably not the problem. My wife has an encrypted Nexus 6 and it runs fine. Apps such as CCleaner will probably make the problem worse. With a little troubleshooting your phone can probably be straightened out without a reset.

First, uninstall CCleaner and ALL task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up.

Uninstalling crapware may solve the sluggishness. If not, try clearing caches the correct way: Settings > Storage > tap Cached data > OK. Note: While clearing caches doesn't really hurt anything, cache files are there for a purpose and for best performance should be left alone unless you have a problem that might be related to them.

If the phone is still slow, install System Panel: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=KRT41RY-

System Panel makes basic trouble shooting of a sluggish device simple. Look at the opening screen, 1st one when the app opens. It gives the basic information you need. With the phone at idle (apps can be open, but nothing such as an active phone call or file transfer) check CPU and RAM memory usage (pie charts upper left corner).

Normally, CPU should be less than 5-10%. CPU clock speed (top horizontal bar) varies but should be something less than max. RAM usage should be about 70-80%, unless you have recently rebooted and not yet opened apps to load RAM. You want to check these values after a fresh reboot, after some normal usage and when the phone has slowed.

If CPU is high, look at the app list on the same screen. Check the CPU usage for each app (small vertical bar on left edge, next to app icons) for offenders.

If RAM usage is too high, again on the opening screen look in the Active Applications list. Check for a running app you have not used recently. It may not have closed or cached properly and is holding RAM.

If nothing seems unusual in the Active Applications, scroll down to Inactive (Cached) Applications. It may be harder to determine what belongs in this list and what doesn't, but if something looks iffy, particularly if it shows holding a lot of RAM, you can try long-pressing on it and select 'End Task'. If you select a required system process, no worry, it will just restart. If RAM usage returns to normal and/or the phone feels faster, that could be the offender.

Troubleshooting beyond this gets more complicated, but what is outlined above will find most problems causing sluggish performance

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Encryption is probably not the problem. My wife has an encrypted Nexus 6 and it runs fine. With a little troubleshooting your phone can probably be straightened out without a reset.

First, uninstall CCleaner and ALL task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up.

Uninstalling crapware may solve the sluggishness. If not, try clearing caches the correct way: Settings > Storage > tap Cached data > OK. Note: While clearing caches doesn't really hurt anything, cache files are there for a purpose and for best performance should be left alone unless you have a problem that might be related to them.

If the phone is still slow, install System Panel: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=nz3Mq1HX

System Panel makes basic trouble shooting of a sluggish device simple. Look at the opening screen, 1st one when the app opens. It gives the basic information you need. With the phone at idle (apps can be open, but nothing such as an active phone call or file transfer) check CPU and RAM memory usage (pie charts upper left corner).

Normally, CPU should be less than 5-10%. CPU clock speed (top horizontal bar) varies but should be something less than max. RAM usage should be about 70-80%, unless you have recently rebooted and not yet opened apps to load RAM. You want to check these values after a fresh reboot, after some normal usage and when the phone has slowed.

If CPU is high, look at the app list on the same screen. Check the CPU usage for each app (small vertical bar on left edge, next to app icons) for offenders.

If RAM usage is too high, again on the opening screen look in the Active Applications list. Check for a running app you have not used recently. It may not have closed or cached properly and is holding RAM.

If nothing seems unusual in the Active Applications, scroll down to Inactive (Cached) Applications. It may be harder to determine what belongs in this list and what doesn't, but if something looks iffy, particularly if it shows holding a lot of RAM, you can try long-pressing on it and select 'End Task'. If you select a required system process, no worry, it will just restart. If RAM usage returns to normal and/or the phone feels faster, that could be the offender.

Troubleshooting beyond this gets more complicated, but what is outlined above will find most problems causing sluggish performance

Thanks so much. I think one of the culprits was Nova

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Nova should not be a problem. It's probably the mostly popular launcher of all, and for good reasons. Among them: it's fast and stable. We use Nova on all of our devices, including my wife's N6, with no problems whatsoever.

I'd check again. I just can't believe it's Nova

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Nova should not be a problem. It's probably the mostly popular launcher of all, and for good reasons. Among them: it's fast and stable. We use Nova on all of our devices, including my wife's N6, with no problems whatsoever.

I'd check again. I just can't believe it's Nova

I went back to google now and CPU is high

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the clearing of cache.. I do this on a regular basis for all my devices. Usually at least once a month I clear cache on my tablets and phones and it really keeps things running smooth.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but clearing caches the is opposite of what you should do. You should do nothing.

Cache files are there for good reasons, mostly to speed up operation. Deleting them actually will slow down the device, wasting power and CPU cycles as the device rebuilds the deleted cache files.

For best performance and battery life it's normally best to leave cache files alone. I never give them a thought.

Clearing cache files should only be done if you have a problem that could be related to cache files.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca