WiFi calling

mykwinters

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I flashed the T-Mobile 5.1.1 OTA last week and WiFi calling won't stay on. Anyone else have this problem? It worked fine for a few days but now it either doesn't work at all or it works intermittently

Posted via the Android Central App

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I flashed the T-Mobile 5.1.1 OTA last week and WiFi calling won't stay on. Anyone else have this problem? It worked fine for a few days but now it either doesn't work at all or it works intermittently

No issues so far, and I'm running it on MetroPCS. WiFi Calling works as it should.

Are you using this at home, work, somewhere else?

mykwinters

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Does it take a little while to activate? I turned it on a little while ago and it took about 5-10 minutes for it to show as on.

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Does it take a little while to activate? I turned it on a little while ago and it took about 5-10 minutes for it to show as on.

It activates right away for me at home, within seconds of connecting to my router.

Sent from my Nexus 6 on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I had trouble with it this evening, too. I noticed that "T-Mobile Wifi Calling" was not showing up in either the status bar or the quick settings menu after I turned wifi on, even though the phone's network status had changed to IWLAN. I rebooted the phone, and Wifi Calling was displayed after the reboot.

I just tried turning wifi off and back on. "T-Mobile LTE" came up immediately in quick settings when wifi went down, but "T-Mobile Wifi Calling" took a good 30-45 seconds to appear after wifi came back on. I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch in the quick settings menu, but I'll be checking it every day for a while. There should be no delay.

Once wifi calling is on, though, it does appear to stay on. I haven't seen it cut out while wifi is turned on.

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I only got the 5.1.1 update last night, but wifi calling has not been stable at all for me. After I enabled it, it took a few reboots and error messages about needing my carrier to activate wifi calling on my account before it actually showed wifi calling in the lock screen or quick settings menu. And for a couple minutes the quick settings display kept changing rapidly between T-Mobile, T-Mobile wifi calling, no service, and emergency calls only (I have terrible service at my house, hence the no service message in there as well). It was like my phone was having a fight with my router or something.

Eventually wifi calling turned on and worked great, but it turned itself off after a couple hours. I got it to turn back on after awhile, but then the phone rebooted itself when I put it on a charger for bed and wifi calling didn't turn back on all night. I still had it turned on in settings, it just wasn't working.

Hope this gets sorted out, or I'm gonna have to switch carriers and pay a lot more than the $30/month plan I'm on now.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
IAfter I enabled it, it took a few reboots and error messages about needing my carrier to activate wifi calling on my account before it actually showed wifi calling in the lock screen or quick settings menu.

Have you used wifi calling with your carrier before? Do you have an E 911 address on file with your carrier?

Seems weird, I know, but I have a distinct recollection of someone on a forum explaining that a missing 911 address can screw up T-Mo wifi calling.

Actually, I found the reddit page that I was thinking of. I don't know if it'll do any good, but here's the URL:

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/371uxi/nexus_6_users_hows_wifi_calling/

The exchange in question (between SLthrOwaway11 and FluX23) is a good half a dozen clicks or more from the top of the page on a desktop browser.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
After I upgraded to 5.1.1 last night WiFi calling was working fine at home. Today at work it won't turn on. Looks like they still need to work out some bugs.

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you used wifi calling with your carrier before? Do you have an E 911 address on file with your carrier?

Seems weird, I know, but I have a distinct recollection of someone on a forum explaining that a missing 911 address can screw up T-Mo wifi calling.

Actually, I found the reddit page that I was thinking of. I don't know if it'll do any good, but here's the URL:

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/371uxi/nexus_6_users_hows_wifi_calling/

The exchange in question (between SLthrOwaway11 and FluX23) is a good half a dozen clicks or more from the top of the page on a desktop browser.
It messes up WiFi Calling on MetroPCS if you don't have an E911 address on file, as well. In fact, MetroPCS phones block you entirely with that error message popping up.

Since T-Mobile owns MetroPCS, that policy/rule/requirement probably comes from T-Mobile, so this is definitely plausible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

Nexus 6 users, how's WiFi calling? : tmobile

Thanks for the tip. I added an e911 address to my account, which seemed to make it easier to turn wifi calling on, and I haven't gotten the carrier error message again. Unfortunately wifi calling still disconnects after a few hours, so seems like there is another issue somewhere.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You have to do what the error message says - dial 611 and have T-Mobile activate WiFi calling. It will be unstable and keep turning off until you do. I had it activated on my wife's Nexus 6 and it's working perfectly.

AFAIK 911 has nothing to do with stability and disconnecting. Just activate it.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
You have to do what the error message says - dial 611 and have T-Mobile activate WiFi calling. It will be unstable and keep turning off until you do. I had it activated on my wife's Nexus 6 and it's working perfectly.

911 has nothing to do with stability and disconnecting. Activate it.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Thanks for your input, I'll give that a shot when I get home. Since wifi calling is a standard feature for T-Mobile, I didn't think any sort of activation would be required and assumed the error was some generic error the phone was spitting out.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Still having WiFi calling issues. Only worked once right after the latest OTA update.

I called 611 and Tmobile confirmed I already have my E911 address setup and there is no other activation to perform on their part.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I added an e911 address to my account, which seemed to make it easier to turn wifi calling on, and I haven't gotten the carrier error message again. Unfortunately wifi calling still disconnects after a few hours, so seems like there is another issue somewhere.

Do you have wifi set to sleep (under wifi advanced settings) ? This may cause a disconnect if it isn't set to always stay on.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet.... This implementation of WiFi Calling is a bit different than what you have on, say, a LG G3. On the G3, your phone's radio gets disabled as soon as you nail up the WFC connection. Nexus 6 keeps your phone radio active the entire time. This feature kind of piggybacks on what we see in Project Fi, meaning that Google's goal here is to a) pick the best available network and b) make sure the handoff between networks in seemless and downtime is reduced.

It may very well be that they are looking at some kind of Quality of Service score and your Wifi connection doesn't pass muster, so it switches you off and on to your phone radio.

Oh, and some work networks could be blocking the necessary packets you need for WiFi Calling. My work network would break WFC on my old G3, but the Nexus 6's works.... but it may very well be that your work network policies block it.

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Speaking to T-Mobile didn't really help. There was apparently no activation necessary on their part. Eventually they just told me there is a known issue with wifi calling disconnecting or dropping calls, and that their engineers are working on a fix with no ETA. He made it sound like it was a regional thing, as he said the problem was in my area after he confirmed my e911 address. Based on how the conversation went, it seemed more like he had no idea what was going on. Can't say I'm too confident. It's too bad, because I can't make calls or text reliably when I'm at home because of poor reception. I'll chime in again if anything is sorted out.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I had trouble with it this evening, too. I noticed that "T-Mobile Wifi Calling" was not showing up in either the status bar or the quick settings menu after I turned wifi on, even though the phone's network status had changed to IWLAN. I rebooted the phone, and Wifi Calling was displayed after the reboot.

I just tried turning wifi off and back on. "T-Mobile LTE" came up immediately in quick settings when wifi went down, but "T-Mobile Wifi Calling" took a good 30-45 seconds to appear after wifi came back on. I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch in the quick settings menu, but I'll be checking it every day for a while. There should be no delay.

Once wifi calling is on, though, it does appear to stay on. I haven't seen it cut out while wifi is turned on.
I have T-Mobile as well and have noticed that I have had calls drop while on Wi-Fi, but I think it has to do with the phone's radio trying to locate the strongest Wi-Fi signal in the home. I actually have T-Mobile's Wi-Fi hot spot. So, my phone sees about 4 different Wi-Fi signals, including Comcast. When I block all of the unwanted Wi-Fi signals, then the radio stops looking for the strongest signal. I will certainly be glad when our phones can move from Wi-Fi to cellular or to Wi-Fi without connection loss!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Is the benefit of this just to be able to have a stronger signal then the network provides? If you're traveling internationally, does WiFi calling allow you to make calls as if you were stateside?

Last edited:

James Mi

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I only got the 5.1.1 update last night, but wifi calling has not been stable at all for me. After I enabled it, it took a few reboots and error messages about needing my carrier to activate wifi calling on my account before it actually showed wifi calling in the lock screen or quick settings menu. And for a couple minutes the quick settings display kept changing rapidly between T-Mobile, T-Mobile wifi calling, no service, and emergency calls only (I have terrible service at my house, hence the no service message in there as well). It was like my phone was having a fight with my router or something.

Eventually wifi calling turned on and worked great, but it turned itself off after a couple hours. I got it to turn back on after awhile, but then the phone rebooted itself when I put it on a charger for bed and wifi calling didn't turn back on all night. I still had it turned on in settings, it just wasn't working.

Hope this gets sorted out, or I'm gonna have to switch carriers and pay a lot more than the $30/month plan I'm on now.

Hey it helps if you have a newer router with ac if you have tmobiles Asus router it works perfect. Its optimized for it

James Mi

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I have T-Mobile as well and have noticed that I have had calls drop while on Wi-Fi, but I think it has to do with the phone's radio trying to locate the strongest Wi-Fi signal in the home. I actually have T-Mobile's Wi-Fi hot spot. So, my phone sees about 4 different Wi-Fi signals, including Comcast. When I block all of the unwanted Wi-Fi signals, then the radio stops looking for the strongest signal. I will certainly be glad when our phones can move from Wi-Fi to cellular or to Wi-Fi without connection loss!

Use tmobiles WiFi router made by Asus its optimized for it mine works fantastic no dropped calls if youcall customer service I think they will charge u 25 dollar deposit its a 150 dollar router

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae