06-19-2015 10:54 PM
121 123 ...
tools
    Has anyone gotten the update on the unlocked version of the nexus 6?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-27-2015 07:32 PM
    There are no locked versions, are there?

05-27-2015 07:57 PM
    There are no locked versions, are there?

Heheheh, I don't know anything anymore. All these different carrier specific builds Google is releasing make no freaking sense.
    05-27-2015 08:02 PM
    I am on the Verizon variant and no, no 5.1.1 for me yet.
    05-27-2015 08:14 PM
    I have 5.1.1 on my custom rom.
    05-27-2015 08:46 PM
    On verizon with no verizon nexus with build LMY47D and still no 5.1.1
    No rush though.
    05-27-2015 08:54 PM
    I am on the Verizon variant and no, no 5.1.1 for me yet.
    If you purchased your phone from Motorola or the Google Play store I have bad news for you. You're not going to get it OTA.

05-27-2015 11:00 PM
    If you purchased your phone from Motorola or the Google Play store I have bad news for you. You're not going to get it OTA.

Not true according to this.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=533361
    05-27-2015 11:01 PM

That's ridiculous. If anything, the non-carrier versions will get it first. I have a Play Store N6 and got the OTA update to 5.1 as soon as I booted it.

Btw, since I'm running a custom rom and couldn't get OTA's, I decided to download the flashable zip of 5.1.1 stock android and it is smooth as silk. (unencrypted) I just backed up my custom rom install for when I get bored of using stock. I had to check out 5.1.1 stock though.
    05-27-2015 11:31 PM
    I mean it's pretty ridiculous that almost all other nexus devices have the 5.1.1 update and not their flagship smartphone, I mean even the nexus 4 has gotten the update, it is complete nonsense

con5150 and thunderbolt_nick like this.
    05-28-2015 06:19 AM
    I guess they are still ironing some bugs for the no carrier version.
    05-28-2015 07:23 AM
    If I read the Android police article correctly....
    Buying a Nexus from Moto or Google does nothing regarding updates. Google will not be pushing a [pure] update, there is no such animal.
    It is dependent on which sim is installed. Full stop.
    What is the idea behind Nexus? Thought that was one of it's main reason for existence.
    Pure android/ hardware prototype. .

Man, that stinks.
    kct1975 likes this.
    05-28-2015 07:32 AM
    The concept of a universally compatible phone, one they could use the same OS build everywhere and so can get immediate updates, is a nice dream, but only a dream. In the real world there's so many carriers, with different systems, different features, etc etc...it's just not possible. T-Mobile needs WiFi calling baked into an update. Google themselves needs Project Fi baked into an update. And on and on.

But I see this as a positive thing. If Google took a rigid position on Nexus, refusing to allow any variations, these added features would not be possible. The Nexus 6 would not get T-Mobile's WiFi calling. Project Fi could not be loaded,. That would be breaking the Rule of Standardization for Nexus. But those are cool features and if Google refused to allow them that would disappoint a lot of users.

Google being a little flexible about allowing certain modifications may slow updates sometimes but it's a worthwhile trade off. It's still a Nexus, with all the other advantages intact.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    kct1975 likes this.
    05-28-2015 08:15 AM
    I mean it's pretty ridiculous that almost all other nexus devices have the 5.1.1 update and not their flagship smartphone, I mean even the nexus 4 has gotten the update, it is complete nonsense

Cannot agree more. I don't get that. Update older phones before new phones, kind of a new philosophy
    05-28-2015 08:22 AM
    The concept of a universally compatible phone, one they could use the same OS build everywhere and so can get immediate updates, is a nice dream....
    I find this statement disingenuous; my understanding: that was the whole concept behind Nexus.
    .....In the real world there's so many carriers, with different systems, different features, etc etc...it's just not possible. T-Mobile needs WiFi calling baked into an update. Google themselves needs Project Fi baked into an update. And on and on.
    Again, having the same hardware with everything enabled is not a dream, it is totally possible. In fact the Nexus 6 does have the hardware for universal usage. What are you saying? The Nexus 6 can't have Wi-Fi calling unless T-M installs it? Please...
    All this does is open up Nexus to bloatware.
    It appears Google caved to the carriers.
    05-28-2015 08:33 AM
    If you want to get an update the same time as everyone else then get an iPhone. I don't understand why people get so worked up about updates. I didn't get a nexus for fast updates, I got it for stock android.
    05-28-2015 08:38 AM
    ..... I got it for stock android.
    Which Stock android? Verizon, Att, T-M....
    That is the point.
    KitN likes this.
    05-28-2015 09:01 AM
    I find this statement disingenuous; my understanding: that was the whole concept behind Nexus.

Again, having the same hardware with everything enabled is not a dream, it is totally possible. In fact the Nexus 6 does have the hardware for universal usage. What are you saying? The Nexus 6 can't have Wi-Fi calling unless T-M installs it? Please...
    All this does is open up Nexus to bloatware.
    It appears Google caved to the carriers.
    The hardware IS the same. Of course a single phone version is possible. I never said the hardware was the problem. It's the software that's the problem.

The whole problem here is the Nexus concept vs reality. The Nexus concept is a noble one. The reality is, for example, if you're a T-Mobile customer like me, you don't get WiFi calling on a Nexus 6 unless Google allows it.

Are you saying Google should never allow any deviation from a single, standard build, denying addition of any such features just so updates are available a little quicker? Well, as a T-Mobile user I can say that is unacceptable. WiFi calling is far more important than a delay updating. I can wait.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    05-28-2015 09:25 AM
    "...It's the software that's the problem...."
    Google controls the software/hardware.
    Appears they are relinquishing that control to carriers.
    While understandable, negates the main selling point of a Nexus.
    Brings the question: Why buy a Nexus?
    05-28-2015 11:07 AM
    If you want to get an update the same time as everyone else then get an iPhone. I don't understand why people get so worked up about updates. I didn't get a nexus for fast updates, I got it for stock android.
    Totally agree. People flip out if they are not first in line for an update. Google does it in stages. If someone can't accept that, go elsewhere so you can find something else to complain about. Immature, entitled attitudes are what I see. And this happens every update. Where's mine? I WANT MY UPDATE!
    5.1.1-baby-boy-crying-photo-420x420-ts-56570356.jpg
    05-28-2015 11:12 AM
    Getting the update as every device does on Apple should be the new standard and Google should make that their norm, if you don't care when you get your updates then fine, but nexus devices should always have their updates first.

05-28-2015 11:34 AM
    Totally agree. People flip out if they are not first in line for an update. Google does it in stages. If someone can't accept that, go elsewhere so you can find something else to complain about. Immature, entitled attitudes are what I see. And this happens every update. Where's mine? I WANT MY UPDATE!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baby-boy-crying-photo-420x420-ts-56570356.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	178567
    Pure Android?

05-28-2015 11:55 AM
    5.1.1-waiting.jpg
    Waiting for pure Android update.

If what I read is correct. Depending on which sim is in your phone.....it could never update.
    Stuck on 5.0.1....forever.
    Lovely
    05-28-2015 12:26 PM
    I just got the 5.1.1 OTA and I purchased with Moto
    05-28-2015 01:21 PM
    Still no update on my Nexus 6 Internation version.
    05-28-2015 01:30 PM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD