I'm a geek and I love tinkering. I have a bit of a phone obsession. I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6 Edge, and an LG G4 (getting delivered today). With all that being said I am constantly drawn back to the Nexus. I previously had a Nexus 5 and Nexus 4. They were my favorite phones of all time. I have never done any rooting or messing with ROMs or anything but this interests me a great deal. The appeal of the Nexus to me is Stock Android. No crap from Samsung, LG, or anyone. There is just something awesome about the stock experience. And the idea of getting the updates first is extremely attractive too. The battery life on my S6 has been bad and it is painful to wait for 5.1.

With my S6 and my soon to be G4, I love the designs, some of the extra features, and the cameras but a part of me is extremely bothered that I have these apps I cannot easily uninstall without rooting. I am assuming it's easier to root and install custom ROMs with the Nexus as opposed to the major manufacturers because I'd really enjoy getting into doing that? The only that really discourages me from the Nexus is the camera. But then again, I'm sure it is good enough to get by for sharing photos online with family. The difference between the Nexus and S6/G4 probably isn't as great as I imagine but in this day of pixel peeping the Nexus camera is held in such low regard that you would think it's a 2mp shooter from the early 2000s.

My question to you all is why did you choose the Nexus over the competition? Or why do you continue to stay with the Nexus despite all the competition from Samsung, LG, Apple, Sony, OPO, etc...? I'm still looking for a good reason to get a Nexus and ditch some of my other phones.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings!
    05-28-2015 03:03 PM
    The only reason I'd choose a Nexus (and that's quickly being killed by the Zenphone) is price. It's not better quality, it doesn't offer anything other phones don't - it's just cheaper for an equivalent phone from, say, Samsung.

I'd opt for a Project Ara phone, if they'd start coming out with some. There's experimentation and tinkering.
    05-28-2015 03:23 PM
    The only reason I'd choose a Nexus (and that's quickly being killed by the Zenphone) is price. It's not better quality, it doesn't offer anything other phones don't - it's just cheaper for an equivalent phone from, say, Samsung.

I'd opt for a Project Ara phone, if they'd start coming out with some. There's experimentation and tinkering.
    I think the price thing used to be true but seems like now Nexus owners are paying for the stock experience without rooting. The Nexus actually costs more than the G4.
    05-28-2015 03:28 PM
    Vanilla Android.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    05-28-2015 03:31 PM
    Easy bootloader unlocking

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-28-2015 04:00 PM
    I like the quick updates and stock android.

05-28-2015 04:04 PM
    - fast updates
    - decent to great specs
    - stock Android
    - unlocked for use with any carrier
    - little to no bloatware
    - supports a ton of frequencies/bands for use worldwide
    - plenty of support from all the other Nexus owners
    ottscay and Powarun like this.
    05-28-2015 04:20 PM
    - fast updates
    - decent to great specs
    - stock Android
    - little to no bloatware
    I like your list better than mine. Agreed on all accounts.

05-28-2015 04:25 PM
    All about stock android experience. Bought mine about a week ago and I'm hooked.
    05-28-2015 06:50 PM
    DroidTron hit them for me as well, with the most important things being the stock experience/no crapware, and the myriad of radio bands available to me when I travel.
    05-28-2015 07:18 PM
    Stock experience/no carrier bloatware
    05-28-2015 07:47 PM
    I try to alternate every upgrade between an OEM phone and a Nexus. Usually I try to time it so that when Google is releasing a major version of Android, I go with a Nexus so I can get it, and will buy an OEM phone for nice features if it's only an iterative minor update like from JB to KK. Another reason I do this, is because some years a nexus gets made by a manufacturer who clearly doesn't give a F about the quality. So it's a tricky game I play because some years what happens is I'll see a great Android version announced I want right away but the Nexus that year doesn't impress me. Those launch years have nearly tipped me to an iPhone out of frustration, but it hasn't happened... yet.
    05-28-2015 11:01 PM
    - fast updates
    - decent to great specs
    - stock Android
    - little to no bloatware
    Great list I would add that stock Android makes this the smoothest a Droid experience I have ever had.

05-29-2015 12:06 AM
    Thanks all, you have confirmed my decision that the Nexus is awesome.
    05-29-2015 11:48 AM