Is there a difference in model if I buy from the Play Store / Moto vs. my carrier (T-Mobile)? I realize if I buy from T-Mobile they may(?) lock the device to T-Mobile until I pay it off or whatever but other than that is there any difference? I plan on paying full price and it's $100 cheaper on T-Mobile than the Play Store / Moto right now but I'm hoping T-Mobile doesn't muck it up somehow.
    06-01-2015 10:04 AM
    Is there a difference in model if I buy from the Play Store / Moto vs. my carrier (T-Mobile)? I realize if I buy from T-Mobile they may(?) lock the device to T-Mobile until I pay it off or whatever but other than that is there any difference? I plan on paying full price and it's $100 cheaper on T-Mobile than the Play Store / Moto right now but I'm hoping T-Mobile doesn't muck it up somehow.
    i think you're OK buying from T-Mob. AT&T and Verizon both add carrier branding which annoys me. i don't think T-Mob alters the device - so for a $100 savings it's probably worth it. i do always prefer to buy direct from Google whenever possible because i like that "agnostic" carrier-free feeling it gives me.
    Emperor likes this.
    06-01-2015 10:08 AM
    Every update carrier specs review and if they are happy with it than you will get update. So if you are happy with it, buy from carrier. Sure you can debrand but you will lost some exclusive app from T-Mob branded Moto X. If I'm not wrong one of this feature is Wifi Calling. But I believe this should work with any phone. Required maybe special app for it.
    06-01-2015 01:35 PM
    No difference. Buy from TMOBILE and save the money. I bought mine on TMO and used it on Verizon, while I was still paying off the device. It is 100% unlocked, and so is the Sprint version.
    06-01-2015 04:51 PM
    No difference. Buy from TMOBILE and save the money. I bought mine on TMO and used it on Verizon, while I was still paying off the device. It is 100% unlocked, and so is the Sprint version.
    No T-Mobile apps or startup screens or anything?
    06-01-2015 04:54 PM
    The ONLY TMO thing it has, is a MY TMOBILE app for checking your TMO account and data usage.
    All you have to do is uninstall it like any other app.

You may be able to avoid it completely, if you take out the TMO sim before turning it on.

Sprint's version is the exact same, except it doesn't have any Sprint apps installed and only comes in 32 GB.

But, getting back to your question, just uninstall the MY TMO APP and you'll be good to go. ROOT IS NOT REQUIRED.

Here's a link reiterating what I said earlier, but it comes from a corporate executive and is more colorful, though he doesn't drop any "F" bombs as John Legere has been known to do:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/11/unlik...s-6-unbranded/
    06-01-2015 05:17 PM
    The ONLY TMO thing it has, is a MY TMOBILE app for checking your TMO account and data usage.
    All you have to do is uninstall it like any other app.

You may be able to avoid it completely, if you take out the TMO sim before turning it on.

Sprint's version is the exact same, except it doesn't have any Sprint apps installed and only comes in 32 GB.

But, getting back to your question, just uninstall the MY TMO APP and you'll be good to go. ROOT IS NOT REQUIRED.

Here's a link reiterating what I said earlier, but it comes from a corporate executive and is more colorful, though he doesn't drop any "F" bombs as John Legere has been known to do:

Unlike its competitors, T-Mobile keeps the Nexus 6 unbranded » TmoNews
    Thanks! As long as I know you can uninstall the T-Mobile app I'll buy it from T-Mobile. I have the G4 from T-Mobile right now and they won't let me even disable the T-Mobile My Account app, let alone uninstall it.
    06-01-2015 05:29 PM
    It may not make a difference, but I've had the best luck doing a factory reset, whenever I am switching between carriers.

If you are activating for the first time, you may just be able to remove the TMO sim and insert whatever sim for the carrier you will be using. However, I've always gone from TMO to Verizon or Sprint to International GSM Prepaid sim (when on vacation).

Even though the phone is unbloated and unlocked, I think the phone activates slightly differently between GSM and CDMA, Sprint, and Verizon.

If you are going from TMO to AT&T or vice versa, you may not gain anything by factory resetting.
    06-01-2015 06:53 PM
    When I bought mine from Verizon it didn't have anything Verizon on it except where it says Verizon on the back. No Verizon apps and no Verizon boot screen. I was happily surprised.
    06-01-2015 09:24 PM
    When I bought mine from Verizon it didn't have anything Verizon on it except where it says Verizon on the back. No Verizon apps and no Verizon boot screen. I was happily surprised.
    When I login into my VZW account, it shows my TMO Nexus as a "NON VZW NEXUS 6"

Does your account actually show a picture of your Nexus 8, since you bought it and, I assume, are using it on Verizon? Just curious.
    06-01-2015 10:39 PM

Does your account actually show a picture of your Nexus 8, since you bought it and, I assume, are using it on Verizon? Just curious.
    [Shocker] Even After Launching The Nexus 6, Verizon Still Won't Officially Activate One That Wasn't Purchased From The Carrier
    06-02-2015 07:48 AM

Yeah I'm using it on Verizon and yes it shows as nexus 6 in my account.
    diesteldorf likes this.
    06-02-2015 07:56 AM
    06-02-2015 02:29 PM
    The Tmo My Account can be uninstalled.

As for the boot logo. I'm on LYZ28E (5.1.1 with wifi calling) and there is no carrier boot screen. Just the four colored dots dancing on the screen that transform in the word "android" and then the home screen.
    06-04-2015 08:56 AM
    Stuck my cut down Verizon Note2 Sim in my new unbranded Nexus 6. Within minutes it showed up at MyVerizon as
    "NON VZW NEXUS 6"

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-10-2015 09:26 PM
    Buy unbranded ones and not one from the useless carriers with their ugly logos. They shame the nexus with the logo, especially Verizon with the disgusting Verizon logo. Not sure how anyone can tolerate that crap.
    06-13-2015 12:37 PM
    Buy unbranded ones and not one from the useless carriers with their ugly logos. They shame the nexus with the logo, especially Verizon with the disgusting Verizon logo. Not sure how anyone can tolerate that crap.
    Agree 100%....seeing there are options with moto.com and Google Play...why not!
    Unless someone does the carrier installments for financial reasons...that would really be the only reason. And a very legit one.

06-14-2015 07:37 PM
    The T-Mobile one is basically unbranded. No extra markings on the phone itself, and only one app which can be uninstalled easily.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    06-14-2015 09:19 PM
    Correct, I should not have lumped T-Mobile in with vrz, att.... Tmob gets it. There device is the Google addition. The apps only download when the sim is recognized. at&t's apps can all be uninstalled on the unlocked version..

06-15-2015 12:11 AM
    On the flip side, T-Mobile is selling the phone for $50 more than Google play and Motorola. Also, at one point wasn't Motorola offering terms similar to T-Mobile for financing a phone through them? Might be a nice alternative if they do, as then you can have your cake and eat it too

06-15-2015 12:40 AM
    Motorola offers $0 down & 0% financing for 6, 12 or 18 months if you use a Motorola Credit Account. You can even add and finance the Moto Care add-on.
    06-15-2015 09:59 AM
    Motorola offers $0 down & 0% financing for 6, 12 or 18 months if you use a Motorola Credit Account. You can even add and finance the Moto Care add-on.
    Then, TBH, this is the best deal. Only reason I bought from T-Mobile was b/c my Nexus 5 has a failing power button (stuck pushed on, was in a crazy bootloop, eventually fixed via a "precise percussional adjustment"... AKA, I gave it a good whack). For roughly the same price at T-Mobile, I could have a 64gb :/

Unfortunately, T-Mobile charges a $75 restocking fee... Good news is I am in on the JUMP! program now

06-15-2015 10:29 AM