1st full week with my Nexus 6

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought I would put this up here being that there may be a few people on the fence about buying an N6 with the sale price going on.
I've had my N6 for a week now, I did own a N5 but haven't had a nexus device for about a year. I have a Google play store unlocked US version using it on AT&T. I opened the box, charged the phone, connected to my wifi and did not load any apps, and also did not put my Sim card in the phone. It prompted me for an update to 5.0.1, I installed that update, then rebooted into recovery and wiped the cache restarted the phone and was prompted to update to 5.1.1, I installed that update and again rebooted into recovery and this time I did a wipe cache and factory reset. I then rebooted the phone normally and proceeded to set it up as a new device and manually loaded my apps and logged into my accounts. After I had the phone all set up, then I inserted my Sim card. It's been running flawlessly ever since. I'm getting though an entire day with about 4 - 4.5 hours SOT and about 15.5 hours total off charger. I had 2 days where I had used the phone much more than normal, I use my phone for my job, on those 2 days I did a quick 15 minute charge while feeding my dogs and was back up to 70%. So far I'm loving this phone. I hope this information may be useful to anyone debating on buying one. Oh, and the size, personally, it's not really to big, it's really no different than a Note 3 or 4, not really much different than a Oneplus One, or any other 5.5" phone. I compared the size with a co-workers iPhone 6 Plus, its about the same.

Posted via the Android Central App

tinytsax

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I love the nexus 6. I had been on a 6+ for almost a year of business and missed my nexus 5. But glad to be back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
As of about 3:30-3:45 this afternoon I will have had my Nexus 6 for a week as well. Haven't had a Nexus since the Galaxy Nexus that's to Big Red and I'm happy to be back on one. Got the 32GB unlocked version from Best Buy.

I had 2 days where I had used the phone much more than normal, I use my phone for my job, on those 2 days I did a quick 15 minute charge while feeding my dogs and was back up to 70%. So far I'm loving this phone.

Re: Turbo Charging
Do you charge powered off? It charges fast but not THAT fast. Well, I guess it depends on what percentage you charged up from. Ha

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
He wasn't on AT&T at the time. He didn't insert SIM so he didn't get 5.1.1 on AT&T because as far as I know there is no 5.1.1 for AT&T.

Correct, don't try to update your phone with the sim card installed.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As of about 3:30-3:45 this afternoon I will have had my Nexus 6 for a week as well. Haven't had a Nexus since the Galaxy Nexus that's to Big Red and I'm happy to be back on one. Got the 32GB unlocked version from Best Buy.

Re: Turbo Charging
Do you charge powered off? It charges fast but not THAT fast. Well, I guess it depends on what percentage you charged up from. Ha

I think it was at 45% when I charged it

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it was at 45% when I charged it

Oh ok. I typically charge up from 40-50% so my screen on time is from 2.25-3.0 hrs or so. Love this friggin' phone. Thought I'd never get rid of the Note 4 but since I typically set up each device like a Nexus with the Google Now Launcher and use mainly Google apps, the Nexus was the right choice.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Got mine Thursday. Did the same as you with updates. No sim card, updated to 5.02, then 5.1, then 5.11. Then popped in sim and everything works great on VZW.

I came from a Turbo and thought I would miss Moto Assist. Found I like the Agent app even better, notifications are about the same. Noticing that the Turbo had LTE more often than the N6 though. Not sure why, antenna should be about the same.

Really impressed by the battery life. Charged to 100% overnight Thursday, used normally on Friday, perhaps even more than usual and still have 41% this morning. Location services, BT and Wifi have been on the whole time.

So far a keeper.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine comes Monday. Along with Project fi. Can't wait. Been using a Moto X 14 and couldn't deal with the battery life anymore. I know this one isn't great, but its better than the X

Posted via the Android Central App on my 5.1 X Pure

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I just got mine a few days ago with the unlocked version on Verizon and it has been a beast. I had not great battery life due to a bad setting or app but I think I found it. It might be a smart lock setting that was causing the drain. I will test this weekend to see if it holds up. Love the size, speed and customization this phone has and using on Verizon is a huge plus.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Got mine Thursday. Did the same as you with updates. No sim card, updated to 5.02, then 5.1, then 5.11. Then popped in sim and everything works great on VZW.

I came from a Turbo and thought I would miss Moto Assist. Found I like the Agent app even better, notifications are about the same. Noticing that the Turbo had LTE more often than the N6 though. Not sure why, antenna should be about the same.

Really impressed by the battery life. Charged to 100% overnight Thursday, used normally on Friday, perhaps even more than usual and still have 41% this morning. Location services, BT and Wifi have been on the whole time.

So far a keeper.

Shoot. Wish I could've done that without the SIM but I sold the Note 4 so when I bought the Nexus it was my only phone. Wonder if I take the SIM out and factory reset if I'll be prompted to update to 5.1.1 as I'm VZW and still on 5.1.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's what I did for 5.1,5.1.1 on at&t...
Backed up files, pulled sim then it prompted me to update did then after done replaces sim....

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I just stuck my Verizon sim in and booted up also. I might have to try checking for updates without the sim.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781