Cell Standby battery drain - PLEASE HELP!!!

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey there to all guys

Something in my phone is causing the radio constantly be looking for a signal even though it has a signal. It seems like Im having to charge my phone at least twice a day now. Id like to steer clear of a factory data reset if I can, but if I have to I will. Running my phone with the GPS set to device only.

The stand by percent was at 11% this charge cycle. I've read that changing the preferred network type is a temp fix, but I don't see the point in disabling 4g if its meant to run on a 4g network. I've also read that google fit maybe a possible problem area. I honestly don't know what else to do. Its really frustrating that this good phone is just plagued by these small issues. Is there any way to clear the cache on the cell radios or anything like that? Also would I be able to run the Android M version of the radio firmware on my current build of 5.1? Running 5.1 build D for Verizon.

Can someone please help. Even if its a dumb idea just please reply and Ill try it.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Okay. Dumb idea #1.

Are your Location services On? How about changing Mode there from High accuracy to Device only? Or turning Location Off?

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey there to all guys

Something in my phone is causing the radio constantly be looking for a signal even though it has a signal. It seems like Im having to charge my phone at least twice a day now. Id like to steer clear of a factory data reset if I can, but if I have to I will. Running my phone with the GPS set to device only.

The stand by percent was at 11% this charge cycle. I've read that changing the preferred network type is a temp fix, but I don't see the point in disabling 4g if its meant to run on a 4g network. I've also read that google fit maybe a possible problem area. I honestly don't know what else to do. Its really frustrating that this good phone is just plagued by these small issues. Is there any way to clear the cache on the cell radios or anything like that? Also would I be able to run the Android M version of the radio firmware on my current build of 5.1? Running 5.1 build D for Verizon.

Can someone please help. Even if its a dumb idea just please reply and Ill try it.
Interesting...I'm having the exact same issue but I'm running the M radio on stock 5.1.1.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned I was running my gps aka location on device only above.. I run alot so I like to keep track of my steps so therefore I need some form of location service on.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, at least I said it was a dumb idea... :-!

Here's a few more to show off just how dumb I am:

Dumb idea #2 (a.k.a., wild guess with nothing to back it up)

Go to Settings > More > Network operators

Choose your network there manually instead of letting the phone do it automatically?

Dumb idea #3

Update your Preferred Roaming List (PRL) - cribbed from an xda-developers post:

"For LTE sim phones, you just need to remove the sim for 15 to 30 seconds then put it back in to initiate your phone to update its PRL. Updating your PRL is useful to make your phone (whatever phone it is) associate itself with any new and all towers in your area."

Dumb idea #4 - blame it on the SIM

Don't shower. Wear things that make you look despondent. Make a despondent face (but don't be despondent).

Go to your carrier's nearest well-provisioned store. Tell them that you've done everything you could to fix your problem but got nowhere.

Tell them that you are despondent--(Be prepared to define that)--and that you think a new SIM card would cure both your phone's reception problem (evidenced by its cell standby problem) and your own despondency.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help man, so far idk if it is the location services to device only or me rebooting into safe mode for a little bit or me clearing the cache partition or reinstalling google fit, but it seems to be performing better today.

I also took out the sim card as suggested.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Is this normal for the standby to be this high in the usage area?

Attachments

• 1435535529353.jpg
    1435535529353.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1435535542329.jpg
    1435535542329.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1435535595399.jpg
    1435535595399.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 74

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Apparently it is normal if you're not getting a strong signal, and judging by the color bar under "Cellular network signal," you may not be. Even the little wedge icon at the top of your screen suggests you're getting a weak cell signal.

Here's an oldish discussion of the significance of the different colors used in that graph: What's the meaning of signal strength colors in battery usage screens? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange And apparently shades of red and yellow are not optimal.

I just noticed a little while ago that my phone's battery took a nosedive (from about 60% to 30% in maybe two hours) while it was lying on a table doing nothing. And the cell signal graph on mine, which is normally just green, shows an orange and red patch that looks to be consistent with the timing of said nosedive.

Signal-problems.jpg

I never seen that before, but I'll be on the lookout for it this week. I also just did that PRL thing and force closed Fit (which I do not use).

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why I don't get good signal, I love in the middle of Phoenix which was one of first cities for Verizon to go to xlte... I live in a concrete building, now that I can understand but I work outside at restaurants not to far from my house...

There has to be something causing the battery drain along with the poor reception. Does anyone have any ideas? I wonder if this thread would get a better response on xda..

I appreciate the help and suggestions that u have give me so far man.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Definitely check out xda threads, but you may also want to look at Nexus Help threads and Motorola's Nexus forum.

I remember skimming one of the Nexus Help threads last month, and the people on it were themselves marvelling at how many of the people having reception problems were from either the Seattle area or urban areas in Arizona. As I recall most of those people were T-Mobile customers. There are actually more Verizon people posting to the Motorola forum below.

Here are a few links to start with when you're bored:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/f7b51bd9bf?page=1

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/7XqSg2bt8VM

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/KU3XgzU8cgI

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Doesnt seem like theres any sort of official acknowledgement from google on this issue let alone even a temp fix.

Has anyone else came across this issue or has found a way to fix this?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's currently set to ipv4/6 now. Would just 6 be better? Also noob question, what does all that mean?

No clue in either case. I'm just an idea man, remember? But if making that change isn't a big PITA, it may be worth it. Or worth asking about in a Vz store.

For what it's worth, my T-Mobile N6 is set to IPv6. But T-Mobile is also using a separate APN for MMS, so who knows which is "better"?

I only know that IPv4 is an old internet protocol that uses 32-bit addresses to specify devices & IPv6 is the newer model IP that uses 128-bit addresses. I believe IPv6 was meant to redress the fact that IPv4 was running dry of available unique addresses.

Maybe one of the mods can give us both a crash course in TCP/IP and cellphones.

Shayan Lateef

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I experienced the same. Whenever i turned on Mobile Data and after using turned it off, the Mobile Radio Active time keeps on increasing which makes the Cell Standby consume the battery . But if we Reboot/Restart, this solves the problem until we again turn on the Mobile Data. It seems we have to keep rebooting till the next update :(