Google Nexus 6: After The Buzz

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I looked the review. There size is amazing. I do have an appreciation for the smaller Nexus 5. But to have such a big screen to consume media is sexy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
How are you liking yours? I was on the fence too, but decided to go ahead and get it.

Nice and fluid. The screen is a joy to watch content on, and I love the speakers, of course. I am interested to see what Huawei does with a supposed phablet Nexus, but barring a bigger battery, the 6 is fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nice and fluid. The screen is a joy to watch content on, and I love the speakers, of course. I am interested to see what Huawei does with a supposed phablet Nexus, but barring a bigger battery, the 6 is fine.

"Because new." has always been a big draw for me to be honest, but I think that might get tempered a bit this time around. I unloaded my Nexus 5 (went to a G3) because of the 5's too small battery and, well I wanted the G3 to play with until the next Nexus came out. When they sent out the 6, I picked that up shortly after launch. It solved all of the ills I had with the Nexus 5 and I really like the thing.

Unlike prior phones, I don't really have any complaints that would cause me to go sniffing around a new phone. Its fast, I don't have any problems with the battery performance, and the camera has performed brilliantly (especially after the latest update.)... it is extremely reliable (running the STOCK stuff, the only FCs I get are from the POS Facebook app) and if you asked me to list out any major issues in a Pro/Con list, I honestly don't think I would be able to put anything on there that isn't a really minor quibble...

So unless the next Nexus is a crazy good superphone... I think I'll be resisting the 'Because New' temptation and sitting this one out.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I wonder how big the next Nexus phablet is going to be. If it is the same size or smaller I may pass. If it is bigger I may be tempted.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how big the next Nexus phablet is going to be. If it is the same size or smaller I may pass. If it is bigger I may be tempted.

"Rumors" say the phablet will be 5.7". The only Huawei phone I've ever had is a MyTouch 4G, and the speaker on it was plenty loud. I wasn't disappointed there. I also know that Huawei packs big batteries in their phablets, but that they use FHD screens, which contribute to the awesome battery life I keep hearing about them. Since Google wants to use a QHD screen, unless Huawei puts a 5,000 mAh battery in its Nexus, I don't know how it may impact it in that respect.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
"Rumors" say the phablet will be 5.7".

From some of the stuff I've read, Samsung may have unleashed the shackles on the Note 4 generation AMOLED display technology, and Huawei may actually just grab 'off the shelf' 5.7" Note 4 screens (as opposed to having Samsung build a custom made screen). This should save a few bucks I guess, the Note 4 screen tech is 'last gen' now, but its still really high quality.

When people complain about the Nexus 6's screen being 'old' or that Motorola cheaped out or something, it is somewhat off-base. Google wanted a 6" AMOLED screen in the Nexus 6, and the best technology available was what Samsung was offering. But Samsung keeps the best to themselves and lets everyone buy their old stuff... LG does pretty much the same thing when it comes to LCD panels. Well, other than Apple, who pay LG a ton of cash.

That being said, a loss of .3" might not necessarily be a bad thing. Its not that much smaller. But its the combination of other factors; smaller screen, potential loss of the front facing speakers, crappy SoC if they use the 810. I am skeptical.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
From some of the stuff I've read, Samsung may have unleashed the shackles on the Note 4 generation AMOLED display technology, and Huawei may actually just grab 'off the shelf' 5.7" Note 4 screens (as opposed to having Samsung build a custom made screen). This should save a few bucks I guess, the Note 4 screen tech is 'last gen' now, but its still really high quality.

When people complain about the Nexus 6's screen being 'old' or that Motorola cheaped out or something, it is somewhat off-base. Google wanted a 6" AMOLED screen in the Nexus 6, and the best technology available was what Samsung was offering. But Samsung keeps the best to themselves and lets everyone buy their old stuff... LG does pretty much the same thing when it comes to LCD panels. Well, other than Apple, who pay LG a ton of cash.

That being said, a loss of .3" might not necessarily be a bad thing. Its not that much smaller. But its the combination of other factors; smaller screen, potential loss of the front facing speakers, crappy SoC if they use the 810. I am skeptical.

I agree with all you've said, and I've heard the same in regard to the supposed 5.7" Moto X phablet, that they would use "off the shelf " Note 4 screens. I echo your concerns about the 810, though, that's big to me. The idea of throttling to avoid overheating a phone just seems too big an issue.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I also believe that the Nexus line should be expanded and advertised more. I would love for Google to release 3 phones a year; a budget Nexus fit about $200, a 5 inch flagship and a phablet. And sell all of them unlocked and in carrier stores.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I also believe that the Nexus line should be expanded and advertised more. I would love for Google to release 3 phones a year; a budget Nexus fit about $200, a 5 inch flagship and a phablet. And sell all of them unlocked and in carrier stores.

I don't know. I personally prefer my phones to be like cars and only release one model/year. Helps keep me from wanting to switch so much! Lol

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
That's a really cool home screen, what are you using for that ?, I did find the clock widget but don't like that tapping on it doesn't bring up alarm etc.....apart from that it was sweet

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
That's a really cool home screen, what are you using for that ?, I did find the clock widget but don't like that tapping on it doesn't bring up alarm etc.....apart from that it was sweet

Thanks. The icon pack I'm using is called Neon Glow, with Nova Launcher.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar