Seriously, no Inline images in email on Android?

I Keeps It Real

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I have Nexus 6 with latest Lollipop (5.1.1) running.

I have tried many email clients (Gmail, Nine, Blue, Aqua, etc. and found no way to insert photos inline into an email. Only as an attachment.

I would love to be proven wrong here, because I want this to work, but the fact that you can't do this is INSANE.

iPhone? Easy to do... Long press, "Insert Photo", pick the photo (or take a photo). Done.

Android? Nope, can't do it. Can't even copy a photo into the clipboard from Photos, or any other photo viewer. Best you can do is sometimes copy an image from a webpage and past it inline using Nine Exchange client.

This is craziness!!! This is the type of thing that keeps Android always second best, never quite able to be equal with iOS for usability.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to burst your anti-Android bubble, but Android can do it.

I do it using AquaMail. Instead of a long-press, you just tap the Insert image icon on the toolbar. Simple. I assume probaby most Android email clients capable of HTML email can do it too.

Don't blame Android because you can't figure out a simple, common function.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

I Keeps It Real

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Simple, common? Hardly.

Aqua doesn't connect to my company's Office365 Exchange server (seems like a common as Aqua only supports EWS).

So my point stands, this functionality is so basic it should be in the base OS, I shouldn't have to hunt around for a third-party app to do this, this should be integrated functionality. The only reason Aqua does it is because the developer saw it in iOS and put it in his app.

Android is still, after all this time, more of a nerd's science project, like Linux, than a polished high-end product, like iOS.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
It is simple and common. The standard Gmail app can insert images.

AquaMail absolutely does fully support Office 365. I just recently showed by brother in law how on his new phone.

As my signature says, I've used Linux since 2001. It's an extremely capable, polished OS.

It's not fair to blame an OS for your lack of expertise and knowledge. I find MACs kinda goofy, but I'm not gonna say they're crap because of it, just different.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

I Keeps It Real

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, none of what you say here is accurate...

You cannot insert images inline in the Gmail app in Lollipop. If you know how, please share...

Aqua Mail only supports EWS for Office365 Exchange access... not all corporations allow EWS access without a VPN connection (like mine), so therefore not useful for everyone for corporate use...

You're making my point for me, why should I need special expertise just to make the very basic functions of email work? Inserting a picture inline into an email shouldn't take hours of research and special knowledge and third-party apps. That's why nobody uses Linux for their desktop/laptop (it's 1.5% worldwide, that's basically nobody).

Photos and Videos are central to why you use your phone, it should be simple to share them, and the way Android does it is lame.

DanB3000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the OP - inability to insert inline images in emails in Android is completely unacceptable. This should be core functionality. There are many other 'simple features' missing - probably because Apple copyrighted them.

Stormified

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, Crash, your link is for the Gmail web interface, not the Gmail android app, which I can confirm it does work.

However, I too use the Gmail Android app and am not able to insert inline images, but attachments work fine.
Now, I understand Google claims it works. https:// support.google .com/inbox/ answer/ 6080149?hl=en (Sorry, can't post links yet here; just remove spaces where applicable)

Until someone can actually show me that it works, it does NOT work.

Using the latest Gmail app, on Samsung Galaxy S6 - Android 5.1.1, non-rooted.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Oops...clicked the wrong thing...

Well, I just did a test message. Just attaching photos put them inline in the message body. Apparently, that's default behavior, there no setting I could find for it.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
However, I too use the Gmail Android app and am not able to insert inline images, but attachments work fine.
Now, I understand Google claims it works. https:// support.google .com/inbox/ answer/ 6080149?hl=en

That link is for the "Inbox" app by Google (not the Gmail app)

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess tapping a paperclip is too difficult for the iOS faithful? Pretty intuitive to me. Standard Gmail app:

That doesn't add it inline, does it? In other words, does this permit you to add attachments in between existing text in your Email? (which is what op was asking for)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't add it inline, does it? In other words, does this permit you to add attachments in between existing text in your Email? (which is what op was asking for)

Not sure how you're getting that from the OP:

"I have tried many email clients (Gmail, Nine, Blue, Aqua, etc. and found no way to insert photos inline into an email. Only as an attachment."

I've shown that you certainly can do that in Gmail. That said, no it doesn't look like you can insert photos/attachments in between lines of text. Personally, I would do that in something like Drive or Docs and send it via Gmail (say to add comments to a bunch of vacation pictures). You should be able to do it in Gmail if you want though. I did a quick search and the internet says you can (at least on the desktop...).

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how your getting that from the OP:

"Inline" is the name for the sort of text wrap that jj14x just described:

lines of text
[image]
lines of text

You've shown that you can stack the images as attachments, not that you can insert images within the body of an email. Also, I've attached many an image in the Gmail app, but I've never seen the attachments also show up within the body of an email as inline images.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463