Nexus 6 battery is horrible. I think I am sending it back.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The idling is all about background load... as my buddies here said, Android is a lot looser when it comes to apps and services running in the background. These apps fire off what are called 'wakelocks', which wake up your phone out of deep sleep and hold it awake while they accomplish whatever task they are trying to complete. The more wakelocks generated, the more your phone is awake, the more power is being used. iOS is far more restrictive (at least now) when it comes to background processes.... If left alone (i.e. no app or services doing anything in the background), both a Nexus 6 and an iPhone 6+ would probably idle at a similar rate.

Coincidently, Google is developing a new feature, called Doze, that should help reduce idle power consumption. Those running the M Preview (such as yours truly) can see it do its thing now, but everyone else will see it at some point after M is released this fall. Works surprisingly well, actually.

qshio

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had/have similar concerns about heat and battery. I went the route of going into safe mode, deleting apps, and doing some research on which ones might be "rogue," and as of now, I've taken out Dropbox, Facebook, Instagram, Press, and two that were a big surprise to me, Amazon's app and the Kindle app. Things are better if not perfect, and I'll slowly start adding some things back and see how it goes.

Posted via the Android Central App

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I almost didn't buy a Nexus 6 because of the reviews on battery life. I told myself that as long as it was as good as my S4, which I'd been using for 2 years, that I'd be fine. This thing has been a hoss. If left unplugged overnight (which I don't know why you'd do besides to test battery life) it loses roughly 1% an hour. I can deal with this. Can't wait til M is released with doze feature.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I too lose about 1% a hour most of my battery goes to Cell Standby which is weird because my Nexus 5 cell standby was less. I do leave WiFi on when at home and use LTE all the time even when calling which is the reason why I got the phone. I will not switch to that horrible HSPA crap even if it means a hit in battery. HSPA is horrible at best not only does phone calls not always connect or even ring but the internet is horrible on there too. I am streaming music then after a minute it goes dead. Nothing connects. Then doing nothing on the phone after about a minute it connects to LTE and the internet works fine streaming music is fine. I will take 1 bar or reliable LTE over 4 bars of unreliable slow HSPA anytime.

SaltyBrine

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I think if your focused on how long the battery lasts you through the day I certainly understand why. But I've had a ton of apps on my Verizon Nexus 6 And I don't do anything to it. I don't turn anything off at all my Bluetooth is always on so I'll get notifications pushed to my Moto 360. I don't partition anything on the phone I don't root it so it's not customized by anything fancy. I get the phone to last me all day with moderate use. I like it though I would've preferred it if Verizon had authorized the 64GB model but since it didn't I got the 32 GB model and you know it's been great so I have no major complaints against it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Compared to my Nexus 5 the Nexus 6 has AMAZING battery life........ I usually go 3 - 5 hours of screen on time plus 2+ hours of streaming music over LTE.... I have location/GPS, Bluetooth, & WiFi "ON" 24/7.... and it usually EASILY takes me from about 9 am to 11 or 12 midnight with 20% remaining on say a Saturday/Sunday... During the week I always top charge here and there since I spend 8 - 10 hours in an office at my desk... During the week I leave work at 4 pm and at 10/11 at night I am still up around 50% remaining.... My after work usage is usually 2 hours of streaming music over LTE... I stream Yankee games to my phone via the MLB.tv App (I usually only catch the second half of the games and from time to time cast to my TV vs watching on the phone if the kids are not taking over all the TV's in the house) plus my usual internet surfing, twitter and Facebook surfing....

I rarely use the turbo charger.. I almost exclusively charge via wireless.... and I've only ran into a battery "Issue" 3 or 4 times since November... I still don't understand the need for 24+ hours of battery life... Yes it would be great go back to my old school flip phone that only needed to be plugged up once a week... but I usually sleep at minimum 6 hours a day.... plenty of time to get it from 0 - 100% even via wireless charge... Ooops I forgot to throw it on the pad or it didn't line up right.... 20 minutes on the turbo charger gives me almost a full days charge.....

Anyway.... It's not PERFECT!!! My personal preference would have been a great full 1080p screen to give us a little better battery life and maybe the same battery as the turbo... but overall (and again coming from the Nexus 5) it's been amazing battery life for me and I've had mine since launch last November.... The 5 needed to be top charged at least twice a day and would drain to below 15% several times if you tried to use it more than 3 - 5 hours in total with just 90 minutes screen on time....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I too lose about 1% a hour most of my battery goes to Cell Standby which is weird because my Nexus 5 cell standby was less. I do leave WiFi on when at home and use LTE all the time even when calling which is the reason why I got the phone. I will not switch to that horrible HSPA crap even if it means a hit in battery. HSPA is horrible at best not only does phone calls not always connect or even ring but the internet is horrible on there too. I am streaming music then after a minute it goes dead. Nothing connects. Then doing nothing on the phone after about a minute it connects to LTE and the internet works fine streaming music is fine. I will take 1 bar or reliable LTE over 4 bars of unreliable slow HSPA anytime.

That definitely sounds more like a carrier thing. HSPA in my area on T-Mobile can get up to 15 Mbps which is perfectly fine for streaming music and browsing the Web.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay is 29% 1day 18 hours with 7% cell standby okay. I am worried about the cell standby. Of course I only have about 30 minutes or les of OST. Most is just streaming music services.

The reason why I am paranoid is because I have a cousin who has a iPhone 6 Plus and in standby he barely uses any battery with cell standby.
View attachment 188504
Also I am asking why sometimes when you reboot you will see the battery meter go away and then cell standby % is gone.

I don't think there are android phones that can compete with iphone's idling. Iphone barely use any battery when they're idling. That's how IOS was designed. I don't think it's fair to compare your nexus 6 to iphone 6 plus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
5.5 hour test of the doze feature... 0.4%/h... I'll take that.

Attachments

• 1437981757189.jpg
    1437981757189.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 32

kdwisdom

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I second the others, defective, exchange it.

This phone is great, on a HEAVY day of me sitting on Facebook, watching videos, etc... for hours straight, it will drain just like any other smart phone does.

But on a day of normal use, phone calls, texting, occasional Facebook and e-mail check, I am barley under 50% when its time to lay my head on the pillow.

Great phone.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
When I charge the phone overnight and unplug it at 9AM after about 3 hours the battery is at 98% which stays there for a while when idle. I think it is normal. I did watch a 23 minute program on Hulu which made the battery go down 5% which is most likely normal too. Also I notice when the battery life gets lower it drops quicker.

marty.brown

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
You crack me up, Tony... you're just like me. I HATE it when my Nexus 5 battery gets below 50% and it becomes all consuming when I get that orange stripe on my phone when I've dipped below 15%. I'm referring to this as BDN, or battery drain neurosis. I may start a ten step program for sufferers like you and me.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
You crack me up, Tony... you're just like me. I HATE it when my Nexus 5 battery gets below 50% and it becomes all consuming when I get that orange stripe on my phone when I've dipped below 15%. I'm referring to this as BDN, or battery drain neurosis. I may start a ten step program for sufferers like you and me.

Where do I sign up

Dillan K

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
My N6 has had great battery life. I routinely get 20 hours of stand by and 3 hours screen time between charges. I don't push it very hard, but in any case, that's great in my books! Maybe I'm just lucky! I hope you can figure it out.

Posted from a Nexus 6 via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Also I notice when the battery life gets lower it drops quicker.

These type of batteries don't drain linearly... Under load, they drain in a kind of S-curve. They will drop relatively quick at first, flatten out in the meaty part, then the drain will accelerate as they start to get low. Any battery based on this chemistry drains in the same fashion.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX