T-Mobile Stagefright update -- version LYZ28J

Othoric

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't see that version posted on the Google developer's page. The latest image I see if for LMY48I.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
You're right! Thanks! I've deleted the link in my post. So much for trusting reddit posts. Or the Google Developers page, for that matter. Whoever updates that page listed the 5.1.1 (LMY48I) update at the bottom of the table for Nexus 6 factory images, and it's still there as of 1:00pm EST.

Small wonder there are articles making the rounds today about "impatient" Nexus 6 users flashing the wrong factory image and losing cellular connections. Those users evidently "read" that table as half-assedly as I did.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Someone told me that Lollipop already contains the fix (running 5.0.1). Does anyone know if that is correct, i.e., if you're running Lollipop, there won't be a patch because it's not needed?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Someone told me that Lollipop already contains the fix (running 5.0.1)

I've seen no mention of any proper "fix" in Lollipop. Google's position, though, seems to be that anyone running Android 4.0 or higher is not supremely vulnerable to the Stagefright exploit because ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), which was added to the Android OS with 4.0, will prevent that exploit from "taking root," figuratively speaking.

Android 'Stagefright' exploit: What you need to know | Android Central

P.S. Day #3 and no one claims to have received the LYZ28J OTA.

(Though a T-Mobile Note Edge customer has verified the Samsung OTA with screen captures on an XDA forum, and one person on Project Fi claims to have received the OTA while setting up a brand new N6.)

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I've seen no mention of any proper "fix" in Lollipop. Google's position, though, seems to be that anyone running Android 4.0 or higher is not supremely vulnerable to the Stagefright exploit because ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), which was added to the Android OS with 4.0, will prevent that exploit from "taking root," figuratively speaking.

Android 'Stagefright' exploit: What you need to know | Android Central

P.S. Day #3 and no one claims to have received the LYZ28J OTA.

(Though a T-Mobile Note Edge customer has verified the Samsung OTA with screen captures on an XDA forum, and one person on Project Fi claims to have received the OTA while setting up a brand new N6.)

Well, today I got a spam text message. Wasn't the first time. But since this Stagefright alert, I was very careful. I had already disabled "auto retrieve" of MMS messages. I tried to see how I could block the sender. In doing so, I opened the message, but did nothing to dl mms content. I got an alert "this message is converting to mms format" I shut down, deleted it. Hope I'm not screwed..I thought from what I'd read that disabling the "auto download" was sufficent. I'm hoping that "convert message" just made it capable of being MMS rather than actually dl'ing content.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, today I got a spam text message. Wasn't the first time. But since this Stagefright alert, I was very careful. I had already disabled "auto retrieve" of MMS messages. I tried to see how I could block the sender. In doing so, I opened the message, but did nothing to dl mms content. I got an alert "this message is converting to mms format" I shut down, deleted it. Hope I'm not screwed..I thought from what I'd read that disabling the "auto download" was sufficent. I'm hoping that "convert message" just made it capable of being MMS rather than actually dl'ing content.

But congratulations you could be the first person in the world to actually be affected by this

No but seriously I hope your phone is all good

Posted From my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface pro 3

epidemicsparc

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually just got it and was able to save it...

I've shared it on my Google Drive for whomever wants it... crap it won't let me post links...

It was kind of strange as it downloaded to /data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_download/update.zip

I think this is everything you need...

EDIT:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B2JOhvla0DK7ZGVlQ1E3aURJdjA (add https:// in front of it)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Got the patch last night. Worked fine.

Lookout's detector app for Stagefright says "phone no longer vulnerable."

Just hope that's not too late!

Is there anyone who knows of anything that would actually scan to see if the malicious code is still on your device (even if it can't execute anything)? That would indicate whether the patch was .... too late.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Is anybody else still waiting for this freakin' OTA? Or has Legere had me blackballed for questioning T-Mo veracity?

I really don't wanna have to flash it for one stinkin' patch.

ChillyMutt

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I have not received the patch - Moto X 2nd gen 2014. Called t-mobile support yesterday.
They knew absolutely nothing and could not find ANY information on Stagefright.
Between this virus and android's issued with bluetooth, I've decided to go back to iOS.