Nexus 6 -why does my phone get SO hot it shuts down??

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
It usually happens when I'm playing a very graphic intense game. Annoying enough... But last night I noticed it getting hot and I was just surfing the web!? The screen is approaching too hot to touch temperature! I drilled a big long slit in my case to let it breathe better. And I have a tempered glass screen protector.

Anybody else have a similar issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: why does my phone get SO hot it shuts down??

Ah ha, I found the temp section in my system monitor app. This is normal running/ cool condition. I'll play some games and warm it up and repost the new temps. I honestly haven't looked at this myself yet!

Attachments

• 84239.jpg
    84239.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 72

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Here is what I found as the worst. I saw the CPU get up to 67 degrees but couldn't grab the screenshot quick enough before it started dropping.

Attachments

• 84243.jpg
    84243.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 66

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Couple questions for clarity:

1. Is your Nexus 6 stock or rooted?
2. Who did you buy it from?
3. What is the name of the app you're taking screen captures of?
4. Are you using an overclocking app or kernel tuner (since you mentioned "playing a very graphic intense game")?

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi.
- No root.
- Bought from T-Mobile retail store a week or two after it was initially released (whenever that was). They may have ordered it from T-Mobile.com though as I don't think they had any stock at the time.
- Application is called SystemPanel Lite. See attached pic.
- no over clock fancy stuff. Pretty much stock load, upgraded to 5.1.1 with some games and minor apps.

Attachments

• 84244.jpg
    84244.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 64

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Hi.
- No root.
- Bought from T-Mobile retail store a week or two after it was initially released

So I take it you've had the phone for over 8 months, and it's just recently started overheating?

Try to get some information here from people who actually play games on their phones (maybe list the games you're talking about), but you might also want to start some conversations with T-Mobile people, in-store and online, if only to get their take on your issue and figure out what your options are.

That CPU temperature reading may be more of a guesstimate, but if the phone itself actually becomes too hot to hold, that can't be good.

Also have you seen this older thread already?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...t-battery-drains-too-fast-you-re-tmobile.html

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

It usually happens when I'm playing a very graphic intense game. Annoying enough... But last night I noticed it getting hot and I was just surfing the web!? The screen is approaching too hot to touch temperature! I drilled a big long slit in my case to let it breathe better. And I have a tempered glass screen protector.

Anybody else have a similar issue?

LMAO! You DRILLED a "big long slit"? Pics please.

And was your phone plugged in? Was it plugged in with turbo charger? Did you just connect to a wifi? Do you have sync settings that only sync when connected to charger or with wifi?

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Pics attached. It is/was the iBlazon case. Sorry, mirror was dirty and didn't feel like cleaning it.

Attachments

• 84251.jpg
    84251.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 84250.jpg
    84250.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 28

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

So let's see...you wrap it up in a heavy-duty case and a screen protector (aka thermal insulation), then play graphics-intensive games for who-knows-how-long. And you want to know what's wrong...well...

Let's put a heavy coat on you on a 98 degree day, enter you in a marathon and when you drop ask everyone standing around looking at you convulsing on the ground what the heck is wrong with you.

The more you overheat it, the easier it will overheat.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Mod Note - A few posts have been cleaned. Please remember to follow "P.U.P.P.A.H" (rules below in my signature).

If you do not like a post you do not have to respond. Please use the report button if mod attention is needed.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

But last night I noticed it getting hot and I was just surfing the web!?

then play graphics-intensive games for who-knows-how-long.

well, not exactly - op indicated that it was getting hot when surfing the web :)

@op - if you are playing GPU intensive games, expect the phone to heat up. If it heats up when browsing the web, check your battery stats to see what is hogging your battery, which in turn may tell you what is causing your CPU/GPU to overheat. A restart may help kill off some rogue process