Is there a way to prioritize Wifi networks?

derdjango

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I got a problem where 2 different wifi networks are available and my N6 is switching between them all the time. Not only does this drain the battery but the other network must be certainly weaker, as the router is far away. In reality this means, that my phone is sometimes 20 sec. without any connection as it tries to switch back and forth. I don't know, why the phone still tries to switch to the network, my guess is that because the weaker network is a certificate-installed (university) network and thus is prioritised. However, is there any way to manage prioritization in lollipop? I know that this was possible in iOS (and also my Mac which had the problem before) and according to my research this was also a possibility in KitKat.

Help would be appreciated!

derdjango

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I met the problem as you said, but it can make my phone connect to the wifi network all the time, no problem to web browsing and videos. So, did this problem let your phone can't work?

Well, it seems like the weaker connection is prioritized by the phone but as the router is really far away (I'd guess 100m), it's no stable connection and therefore doesn't really work for browsing etc. So after a few seconds being connected to the weaker network it disconnects and searches for a better network until it finally connects to the strong network. In this process (around 20 sec) there is absolutely no Wifi connection.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I got a problem where 2 different wifi networks are available and my N6 is switching between them all the time. Not only does this drain the battery but the other network must be certainly weaker, as the router is far away. In reality this means, that my phone is sometimes 20 sec. without any connection as it tries to switch back and forth. I don't know, why the phone still tries to switch to the network, my guess is that because the weaker network is a certificate-installed (university) network and thus is prioritised. However, is there any way to manage prioritization in lollipop? I know that this was possible in iOS (and also my Mac which had the problem before) and according to my research this was also a possibility in KitKat.

Help would be appreciated!

Well, it seems like the weaker connection is prioritized by the phone but as the router is really far away (I'd guess 100m), it's no stable connection and therefore doesn't really work for browsing etc. So after a few seconds being connected to the weaker network it disconnects and searches for a better network until it finally connects to the strong network. In this process (around 20 sec) there is absolutely no Wifi connection.

The only 'work-around' that I can think of, would be to "Forget" the weaker WiFi network.

To do that, do the following... SETTING>>>WIFI>>> (select the weak WiFi network) long press the network name, then select "Forget Network"

Then your phone will not automatically connect to the weak network.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I turn off 2.4ghz radio on my phone because it keeps connecting to it even though I forgot the network a dozen times. I want it to stay on the weaker 5ghz network.