to unlock the bootloader in order to root the Nexus 6?

I don't really care about custom ROMs, but there are a few root apps I would like to use.

For example, I'd like to enable touch to wake. That would make the phone perfect for me.

But I just do not want to brick the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-29-2015 09:44 AM
    I honestly would unlock the bootloader anyway.

As for being concerned about bricking the device....it's hard to on a Nexus.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-2015 09:58 AM
    Yes, bootloader must be unlocked.

Use the Nexus Root Toolkit.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
    Laura Knotek and MikeCallery like this.
    08-29-2015 10:21 AM
    Yes, bootloader must be unlocked.

Use the Nexus Root Toolkit.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
    Thanks for letting me know!

08-29-2015 10:21 AM
    But I just do not want to brick the phone.
    It's extremely hard to brick a Nexus. A lot of times, someone bricks a phone because they are using some screwy tool because the OEM doesn't want you messing with software.

Google not only is fine with you fussing with it, they gladly provide you with all the tools to do so.

But it's pretty robust. The only time you need to make sure your t's are crossed is when you are manually updating the bootloader... Which you most likely won't be doing unless you get real comfortable with adb and fastboot commands.
    08-30-2015 07:57 PM
    It's extremely hard to brick a Nexus. A lot of times, someone bricks a phone because they are using some screwy tool because the OEM doesn't want you messing with software.

Google not only is fine with you fussing with it, they gladly provide you with all the tools to do so.

But it's pretty robust. The only time you need to make sure your t's are crossed is when you are manually updating the bootloader... Which you most likely won't be doing unless you get real comfortable with adb and fastboot commands.
    I am knowledgeable up to a limited point, but it still is kind of scary to me.

08-30-2015 08:47 PM

I successfully rooted my Nexus 7 using Wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit after using Android less than 2 months.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-30-2015 09:16 PM
    I get ya.. back when I first started fussing with the OS on these things, I used to be pretty twitchy. Now? I mean, I've flashed new ROMs waiting in line at Dunkin' Donuts. Once you get familiar with the process and what is going on, that fear evaporates.
    08-30-2015 09:19 PM
    I used to be pretty twitchy.
    Yeah...look who his avatar is...lol
    08-30-2015 10:43 PM
    Is there digital counter, knox couter for Nexus devices. Which tells you device has been rooted or not. On Samsung if you root phone so than you can't delete anymore or reset counter to zero.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    08-31-2015 07:51 AM
    Is there digital counter, knox couter for Nexus devices. Which tells you device has been rooted or not. On Samsung if you root phone so than you can't delete anymore or reset counter to zero.
    Well, there are two indicators. First, if your bootloader is unlocked, you'll have a little unlocked lock icon that pops up when you turn on the phone. Second, if you go into the bootloader and you are rooted, it'll say you've rooted your phone. These are just status indicators though, not permanent flags. If you remove root and/or lock your bootloader again, both go away.
    WP7Nettwerk likes this.
    08-31-2015 10:05 AM
    Since day one my phone never been rooted and no installed custom roms.

08-31-2015 10:38 AM
    Since day one my phone never been rooted and no installed custom roms.

I could probably manage this, except for the desire to use a few root apps.

08-31-2015 11:07 AM
    I fear how root does effect system and security.

08-31-2015 11:11 AM
    It's funny how things turned out to be for me about rooting the phone, when I was on Samsung devices always wanted to root my phones and complained about how cumbersome that process could be and sayed to my myself I want a Nexus to do whatever I want. Now I got mine I don't feel the need to root anymore. Very pleased with stock vanilla Android.

08-31-2015 11:55 AM
    I fear how root does effect system and security
    Well, root, in and of itself, does little.... it is what you do with root access that affects system and security. If you are marginally responsible, your phone is no less stable or secure rooted than not. Coporate IT policies block rooted phones because there's always the chance that someone has been getting their apps from that awesome overseas app store that has all the cool paid apps for free.... and proceeds to load up their phone with nasty bits of malware.

But this is no different than using an admin account on a windows box or su on a linux machine.
    WP7Nettwerk likes this.
    08-31-2015 02:40 PM
    I just wanted to thank all the techs for responding here. I recently bricked my Note 4 and could not get around it no matter what I tried. That put fear into me about trying to root the Nexus 6, which was the 4's replacement, but, I got the WUG kit that was linked in a previous message and followed it religiously. That is the trick, follow the directions which I did not find difficult at all. I had a few things not work and then it was like "oh, I didn't do that step".

Anyway, fear not, those of you contemplating this, the root kit works like a charm, It is the most automatic procedure I have ever gone through on an Android phone.

One of the big reasons I rooted the phone was to get the LED indicator online, which I will never understand why it was not active to begin with. The Double Tap program, however, is a little iffy but I'm still hanging with it for a while longer.
    wtherrell likes this.
    09-03-2015 09:59 AM
    I got the WUG kit that was linked in a previous message and followed it religiously. That is the trick, follow the directions which I did not find difficult at all. I had a few things not work and then it was like "oh, I didn't do that step".
    That is why I always recommend Wugfresh's NRT to new users. Yes, it is a toolkit and only runs commands that anyone can run themselves.... if you know them. Not only does the NRT pretty much do EVERYTHING you may need, it does a really good job of explaining what it is doing at every step. It is those tooltips and instructions that get my blessing.... Some toolkits just do stuff like some mobile phone Oz... pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... Those are bad as you never learn.

NRT tries to guide you along. It's an awesome tool that should be rolled into the Nexus factory images.
    wtherrell likes this.
    09-03-2015 04:54 PM
    If you want some fun, try rooting the N6 on a Mac, using just the terminal commands. That will tickle your fancy.
    07-08-2018 09:25 AM