Nexus 6 or Note 5 - Switching from Zenfone 2

Plummerdc88

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks. Looking for some feedback. I am looking to switch devices from the Asus Zenfone 2 to either the Nexus 6 or the Note 5.

So far i am leaning towards to Nexus 6 mostly because of the pure android experience. But the SPen experience of the note 5 looks very appealing to me.

The reason i am switching away from the Zenfone is simply the OS. It is so bogged down with bloatware and seems to have many ram leak problems. Overall the hardware of the Zenfone i find is decent considering the price point. But i am fed up with budget android devices, looking to spend the money for a more premium experience.

Just another point. I have used Samsung devices in the past, and really did not like Touchwiz. I found it to be boring, unattractive and just a bad overall experience. That being said it has been since the S4 that i have tried it, maybe things are better now? Is the Spen of the note 5 worth the drawbacks of touchwiz or is it pure android nexus all the way?

Let me know your thoughts

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Just my personal opinion, however, I highly recommend the 2014 Motorola Nexus 6.

My previous phone was an HTC M8, and I actually like the Nexus 6 much better. The Motorola Nexus 6 has a beautiful large screen, the front facing stereo speakers are just as good as the speakers on the HTC M8, and because of the pure Android OS, it is very quick and responsive.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
While the Nexus 6 is a nice nice phone still, I think the Note 5 bests it in most, if not all, ways. You get a better screen, faster SoC, better camera, etc. Of course, you pay more. You can use Nova, Apex, or other launchers and get largely past TouchWiz.

from my old nexus 5

kupostic

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone even think N6 is anywhere close GN5. I'm frantically looking for who'll trade-in their Note 5 for my N6 & I'm ready to add up to €150 + my N6

Posted via the Android Central App

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I sold my Note 5 after 4 days and am now back to a Nexus 6 (temporarily). Though Touchwiz has come a long way in a short period of time, I couldn't stand the constant app crashes.

The screen and camera on the Note are FAR better than the Nexus 6, but the Nexus runs 100x smoother.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
My brother replaced his Nexus 6 with Samsung Note 5. He has no regrets and loves note 5. According to him, the phone is amazingly fast, smooth, and best of all, one of the best premium built phones. Better camera, better screen, better hardware. Touchwize came a very very long way. I have Nexus 6 and love it, but to be fair, Note 5 is clearly superior to Nexus 6. Unless u want the simple pure android experience.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I love my Nexus 6 and i just picked up the GN5 to see if it i would like it better. So far, I don't have any complaints. It's fast, smooth, and does everything I ask (even while multiple apps are running). Battery is does its job. Battery is important to me because I ride a motorcycle and do not have the luxury of a vehicle charger. I use a lot of data (emails, instant messaging, texting) that total 15GB per month, but not too much talking (200 min per month). The phone looks good, performs good, and has good batter life ... BUT ... so does the Nexus 6.

I'll admit the GN5 has a lot of unique features (SPen, finger print scanner, heart rate monitor, etc) but the GN5 is $800. You can now grab the Nexus 6 for half that price.

I'm going to try the GN5 for about a week so see if it can pull me away from my NX6. I'll provide an update next weekend.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to try the GN5 for about a week so see if it can pull me away from my NX6. I'll provide an update next weekend.

Very interested to hear back. The next Nexus is not looking very promising. Leaks don't show anything special.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The GN5 will be fast and smooth until Samsung screws it up with an update.

Signed,
Disgruntled GN4 Owner

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Very interested to hear back. The next Nexus is not looking very promising. Leaks don't show anything special.
Returned the GN5. HW aspects of the device is good, but nothing beats stock Android performance. Maybe I just can't stand touchwiz. Also, the new Nexus 6P is out and I would definitely pick that over anything by Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The GN5 will be fast and smooth until Samsung screws it up with an update.

Signed,
Disgruntled GN4 Owner

This. I've owned 3 Samsung's including the N4 and the same thing has happened on each and every one of them.

In fairness my Dad stuck it out with his N4 and they do seem to have (eventually) sorted it with 5.1.1, but we're talking 5 months down the line. For a product that people generally keep for 2 years that's an unacceptably long time.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This. I've owned 3 Samsung's including the N4 and the same thing has happened on each and every one of them.

In fairness my Dad stuck it out with his N4 and they do seem to have (eventually) sorted it with 5.1.1, but we're talking 5 months down the line. For a product that people generally keep for 2 years that's an unacceptably long time.

Same boat, but my N4 never recovered, which is why I moved onto the Nexus 6 and will be skipping the Note 5

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Hey folks. Looking for some feedback. I am looking to switch devices from the Asus Zenfone 2 to either the Nexus 6 or the Note 5.

So far i am leaning towards to Nexus 6 mostly because of the pure android experience. But the SPen experience of the note 5 looks very appealing to me.

The reason i am switching away from the Zenfone is simply the OS. It is so bogged down with bloatware and seems to have many ram leak problems. Overall the hardware of the Zenfone i find is decent considering the price point. But i am fed up with budget android devices, looking to spend the money for a more premium experience.

Just another point. I have used Samsung devices in the past, and really did not like Touchwiz. I found it to be boring, unattractive and just a bad overall experience. That being said it has been since the S4 that i have tried it, maybe things are better now? Is the Spen of the note 5 worth the drawbacks of touchwiz or is it pure android nexus all the way?

Let me know your thoughts

Both great phones..... Any comments you may see about "touchwiz" just understand the person who wrote that copies and paste way to much and is a complete moron.

-concerned blogger

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
If you're considering the GN5 simply because of hardware, the N6P actually is fairly nice for being a much better price. AND it offers beautiful software.
I'd wait till reviews though just to be safe.
Of the original 2, I'd say N6. Paying too much for a stylus.

Posted from my amazingly smexy Nexus 6, powered by CM

matthew2926

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Had a Note 4 and went to a Nexus 6. Almost never used the S pen (it's more of a gimmick rather than a useful tool) and, as others have said, it gradually got slower as it got "updated." It got to the point where I could only have one app open at a time in order to make the phone even usable, even after a factory reset. No issues whatsoever with my Nexus 6. This is my first Nexus device and I will never buy anything else from now on, as nothing beats stock Android.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The two phones stand at opposite ends of the spectrum... so you'll find people adamant in their opinions. Personally, I prefer the Nexus 6. There's nothing wrong with the Note 5.... it's a very capable phone. But I have zero use for a stylus. I've had some devices over the years that have had them, or could utilize them. It's just not my thing. And of all those cool bits that you get with a Note.... I'd be lucky to use a tenth of those cool features on a regular basis. So they would just take up resources.

Plus, and this is my own personal opinion, TouchWiz is horrid. It might be new and improved, but it is still an abomination. ;) I mean, the best thing most reviews can say about the Note 5's TW is something along the lines of "it's not as bad as prior versions". That isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. And I've played around with recent Samsung devices... Note 4, S6, Note 6, etc... it might be pared down, but it still looks and feels like the Touchwiz that I grew to loathe on my old SIII (my issues with TW go beyond the launcher). But to each, their own. There are plenty of people who have no complaints about TouchWiz.

Hardware wise, the Note 5 is superior. It SHOULD be, the Nexus 6 is a year old at this point. But the Nexus 6 more than holds its own in most cases.

The 6P, on the other hand, effectively gives up nothing to the Note 5 in terms of hardware (well, other than the S-Pen).