How do I fix issue where powered on Nexus 6 only shows black screen?

NexusSadness

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 6 worked for months, but now when the phone is on the screen stays black.

When you start the Nexus 6, the Google logo shows up, the starting animation plays, then the Android text shows.. then the screen goes black. If I hold the power key the "Power Off" dialog opens, I can also take screenshots (of a completely black screen), otherwise nothing shows on the screen.

I took the phone into T-Mobile and they sent me a replacement. After walking through this new phone's setup (adding my Google account, setting up a lock screen) the phone screen went black! Just like the old phone.

Wiping the cache didn't fix anything, but if I factory reset the phone (on either phone), the screen works as it should and goes through the setup process before the screen blacks out again.

I tried not setting a lock screen and the phone still blacks out so I don't think it's lock screen related. I'm starting over again and trying to set the phone up without importing any of my Apps to see if that will change anything.

I haven't found much online in regards to this, I'd appreciate any tips as I'm afraid T-Mobile would just swap out another Nexus 6 for me when the phone/hardware itself may not be the issue..

FYI I've always done system updates when prompted and the phone is not rooted or have custom settings or anything like that.

EDIT: I just wiped and started over without installing the list of old apps and it still does has this same issue

Last edited:

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I have the same issue you have. If you unlock your phone, does your home screen flash briefly, and then the screen goes dark, and basically locking the phone again?? That is what is happening to mine, and no matter how many resets, 'wipe cache partition' nothing seems to fix it. It is weird too, sometimes it'll just work like normal, then all of a sudden it just decides to not work, and just constantly goes black. Maybe it is a hardware issue?

NexusSadness

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Mine wouldn't quite make it to the unlock screen, but sounds like the same issue. Don't know what's causing it. Sadly I'll probably switch to another phone

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
where did you buy it? I ended up RMA'ing my phone, and google sent me a refurb for no charge. If you got it from the play store or moto I believe it is still under warranty

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1