11-25-2015 03:13 PM
34 12
tools
    Hi guys

I was set on buying the new Moto X Style/Pure when it comes out in the UK but I have seen a couple of posts from users saying the screen has a yellow/warm tint to it! My present phone is a Skny Xperia Z3 which has a really bright screen with nice whites and I know I couldn't get used to a yellow tint!

So as I really like a bigger screen I just wondered whether the Nexus 6 is still a good buy unlocked, I know it is a slightly older phone but it seems to still have good specs and by all accounts the screen is lovely, isn't it?

Thanks
    09-15-2015 05:06 PM
    I'm up for an upgrade. Wowing the same thing. I have a s5 active.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-15-2015 08:12 PM
    Mine is still a monster. Have never had a phone for this long that is still better than anything I can find.

09-15-2015 08:12 PM
    Originally bought one back in November and had it for about 3 months until the back cover started popping up due to the adhesive used to keep it in place wore out because of how warm it can get during "heavy" use & charging.

So I sent it back to Motorola.

But the issue was that I actually missed it and had been searching for a great Android device to use for my Android fix. I get to test & review pretty much any flagship that gets released, so I have the opportunity to really see what is available.

Ended up buying an LG G4 on AT&T, but just cannot get past the periodic sluggishness that comes from a carrier branded device. If the G4 were a Play Edition, I probably would not have it listed on Swappa at the moment.

Went ahead and just picked up another Nexus 6 and have been satisfied with my purchase overall. Other than when the camera app wants to crash or just freeze up. Also notice this within the Messaging app as well.

Turbo charging and the recent 26.4MB update that I just installed seems to have helped with those issues, but it has only been a few hours since I installed it.

I think Android M is going to really make this device fly (at least the 3rd M preview has been running very well on my Nexus 5).

If you can get your hands on a 64GB model & the extra $ is not much of an issue, I would get it. But you'll likely be happy with a 32GB as well.
    kingorkid likes this.
    09-15-2015 10:27 PM
    I had a nexus 6 for 2 weeks recently, loved the size speakers and stock android but my unit had way to warm screen, whites were way to yellow couldn't stand it so got rid. Won't most of the nexus 6 screens be warm though due to older amoled panel Samsung gave Motorola?

09-16-2015 03:26 AM
    I had a nexus 6 for 2 weeks recently, loved the size speakers and stock android but my unit had way to warm screen, whites were way to yellow couldn't stand it so got rid. Won't most of the nexus 6 screens be warm though due to older amoled panel Samsung gave Motorola?

Ahh I really don't want a warm white screen as I thought the Nexus 6 would have nice bright whites!
    09-16-2015 05:43 AM
    I, my wife an my daughter in-law all have Nexus 6's. None of us have noticed a particularly yellow cast to the screen. We all agree the screen looks great. It could be only certain production runs have a yellowish display problem. But, my wife got hers right after they became available, my daughter in-law 2-3 months ago and I just got mine a week ago. So, while none of us have noticed a yellowish screen that doesn't prove anything one way or another. It does kinda raise doubts about a production run theory.

We're all very pleased with our Nexus 6's and all agree it's the best phone any of us has ever had. No problems with any of them. They've been on sale in the U.S. for $350 for the 32GB and $400 for the 64GB models. If you can grab one in the U.K. for a similar price I'd go for it. IMHO it's the best value in a new phone right now.
    kingorkid and n-strike like this.
    09-16-2015 07:03 AM
    I agree. I have the 64 GB white version and love it! Coming from a galaxy note 2, I was so burnt out on Touchwiz and other bloatware. This phone is fast!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    kingorkid likes this.
    09-16-2015 09:25 AM
    Absolutely love my Nexus 6, can see me keeping it for another 18 months at least.
    09-16-2015 09:40 AM
    Yeah my unit might have been part of a run that wasn't great. Other than that the phone is great, I also had developer 3 marshmallow and it ran amazing.

kingorkid likes this.
    09-16-2015 09:41 AM
    I, my wife an my daughter in-law all have Nexus 6's. None of us have noticed a particularly yellow cast to the screen. We all agree the screen looks great. It could be only certain production runs have a yellowish display problem. But, my wife got hers right after they became available, my daughter in-law 2-3 months ago and I just got mine a week ago. So, while none of us have noticed a yellowish screen that doesn't prove anything one way or another. It does kinda raise doubts about a production run theory.

We're all very pleased with our Nexus 6's and all agree it's the best phone any of us has ever had. No problems with any of them. They've been on sale in the U.S. for $350 for the 32GB and $400 for the 64GB models. If you can grab one in the U.K. for a similar price I'd go for it. IMHO it's the best value in a new phone right now.
    The price for them in the US is really good but why can't I find an unlocked one in the UK for a decent price!
    09-16-2015 11:38 AM
    Ahh I really don't want a warm white screen as I thought the Nexus 6 would have nice bright whites!
    My screen is perfect. Can't imagine using another device.
    09-16-2015 11:45 AM
    I agree. I have the 64 GB white version and love it! Coming from a galaxy note 2, I was so burnt out on Touchwiz and other bloatware. This phone is fast!

I completely agree. I came from a Verizon Note 2 as well, it is very refreshing to be able to experience stock Android without having to deal with a TouchWiz.
    metalgirl3 likes this.
    09-17-2015 08:10 PM
    I just switched last week from an iPhone 6 Plus to a Nexus 6. I am not too enamored with the battery life, but I really do like the phone, and I have no regrets.
    09-18-2015 02:45 PM
    Picked mine up on amazon.co.uk for £339 for a 32gb version. It shipped with a European turbocharger and not the UK version, email sent off to Amazon who refunded £62. So picked mine up for £277 (minus the charger, but it doesn't bother me.) It's an awesome phone, I've come from a One M8 where sense was a very good version of Android but you cannot beat a vanilla android experience, everything is so clean and smooth. Well worth the purchase.
    09-18-2015 03:41 PM
    Is there a big difference between the unlocked version sold by Google / Bestbuy then the one sold by a carrier? Is it just the typical carrier bloat Verizon, etc will throw on there?
    09-18-2015 04:34 PM
    Mine is still a monster. Have never had a phone for this long that is still better than anything I can find.

Preach!

Posted via the Nexus 64GB Beast
    CrimsonRonin likes this.
    09-18-2015 08:23 PM
    Is there a big difference between the unlocked version sold by Google / Bestbuy then the one sold by a carrier? Is it just the typical carrier bloat Verizon, etc will throw on there?
    For the most part device wise, its the same. The only exception is the ATT model. If you get it from ATT, its sim locked to ATT. Other ones are the same. The only other difference is the price. I don't know about the ATT, Sprint, and Tmo, Verizon still has it at full price. Google has the 32gb on sale for 499.99. Best buy and Amazon had the same thing for 350.00.

09-18-2015 10:38 PM
    Great deal at the current $350/400 price new from Amazon. Beast of a phone that is competitive with anything out there. Keep in mind replacement, coming out next month, is supposed to be twice as fast. Of course the replacement will cost twice as much too.
    09-19-2015 01:57 AM
    Well it is either the Nexus 6 or the new Moto X Style and the Style is the one I am leaning towards but the battery life is a worry as I am not sure it will be that good!
    09-19-2015 01:48 PM
    Just ordered one from Amazon. I love the phone I have now but I have to go back to Verizon for coverage. Hope I like it. I'm looking forward to finally having a virtual keyboard wide enough to make my typing better than horrible.

09-19-2015 11:26 PM
    It gets lots of small updates periodically and I notice that this thing stays buttery smooth no matter what I do, and multitasking is quite impressive hardly ever reloading any app or webpage. The big screen is nice especially for typing and media consumption. My nexus 5 also runs super fast and even smoother actually so I have no doubt that the 6 will remain a fast lag free experience for a long while.

I did try the Moto X pure from Amazon, and it is going back. It's nice and all but I just do not see how it is a better device than the nexus 6 unless you absolutely must have the Moto active display features, and it is more expensive to boot. I did like the screen better on the Pure since the whites are noticeably more white and with constant onscreen buttons there is less chance of burn in. The Xperia is also an lcd, and my iPad is as well so yes the whites on the nexus 6 are more yellowish especially at lower brightness but it makes up for it with much much deeper blacks and insane contrast levels. Especially good for reading. Thus it doesn't bother me one bit because looking at it on its own the whites still look good.

The negatives are battery life, I get 4 hours SOT sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more, but right around there. The Pure got me 3 to 3 and a half with the exact same usage. Standby time also better on the 6. The other negative is the size, I thought the Pure was much more gripable and its so much more narrower that it feels so nice in the hand. I also thought that 5.7 vs 5.95 in screen size isn't a very big difference I thought the screen would be noticeably smaller but that wasn't really the case.

That was a long winded way of saying yes the nexus 6 is still an awesome device and will be for a while

*apologies for any grammatical errors, iOS9 killed my iPad Air. Keyboard lag is real
    09-20-2015 12:13 AM
    Just tried my first nexus 6.

Previously been using an lg g3. Before that Sony z1.

Initial observations.

Nexus interface is slick. Really fast. The screen on time looks much better than the g3. But my battery on the g3 was very poor (lg need to update their lolipop version).
    Camera doesn't appear as good as the g3. I took some great pics on the lg especially in low light.
    The screen. Like the extra size but not sure on the yellowish tint to the whites. The lg had much more of a cool colour. Maybe I will get used to the colour.

09-20-2015 01:16 AM
    It's a great phone if you prefer a warm screen, going by other comments most 6's screens will have yellow whites it's the older amoled panel Samsung provided apparently. If it was an IPS LCD I would certainly still have one.

09-20-2015 03:54 AM
    sending back the moto xpe going back to nexus 6 dont see the warm screen issue must be old, nexus 6 best deal and best phone out there for the moment unless you are sammy or apple fan.
    iPhoneTHS and mightymikek83 like this.
    09-20-2015 10:01 AM
34 12