Google Nexus 6P USB-C Charging

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
So I've ordered the 6P and it's scheduled to ship in November. In the meantime I have many many USB-Micro chargers and cables.
If I order a simple USB-A to USB-C cable can I use this with my existing chargers as well as use one to charge the 6P while in my car (which has a USB charging port)? I realize I will likely not get the high speed charging feature, but will it charge at a relatively normal rate?

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: USB-C Charging

I was planning on doing the same thing. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I wonder if using any USB3 cable will work with fast charging.

haydenpup

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Looks like there's already a USB-C to USB-A cable in the box.

What's in the box:

Nexus 6P
USB Type-C 15W (5V/3A) charger
USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable
USB Type-C to USB Standard-A plug cable

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

There is already a cable, but for most of us one is not enough. I have micro USB cables everywhere. One by my bed, one at work, one around the living room, one in my laptop bag, etc.

I ordered a couple USB-C cables from Amazon. And yes, they will work with existing chargers.

dapoktan

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

do we need the fast charger block for the fast charging? or will a 40W usb block allow for that? Also I heard there was a difference btwn the USB type C ports on the 5X and 6P? can anyone clarify? thanks!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

you need a charger that is branded as a quickcharge charger. There is one in the box. a regular charger, even at high wattage, will not support the actual quickcharge technology.

And no, the ports on the 2 phones are the same.

cadis12

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm hoping I wont need all these charging cables! With the hype of great battery life the only charger I should need is the one next to my bed to charge the phone over night.

dapoktan

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

you need a charger that is branded as a quickcharge charger. There is one in the box. a regular charger, even at high wattage, will not support the actual quickcharge technology.

And no, the ports on the 2 phones are the same.

thats good to hear.. i was reading comments in some articles where they said the 6P featured a USB3.1 while the 5X only had USB2.0

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

So this is something I'm unclear on and not fully understanding, I have a bunch of quick charge 2.0 chargers with USB-A plugs on them. Will a USB-A to USB-C cable (like what will be included) be enough to make the phone charge rapidly using those chargers.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Quick Charge never required a USB-C connector before, I don't know why it would now. We need to distinguish in these conversations though between Quick Charge, which is a proprietary Qualcomm technology used to enable faster charging through any USB connector as long as the transformer and device support it, and the faster charging that's possible because USB-C carries higher power loads as standard than older USB specifications.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Quick Charge never required a USB-C connector before, I don't know why it would now. We need to distinguish in these conversations though between Quick Charge, which is a proprietary Qualcomm technology used to enable faster charging through any USB connector as long as the transformer and device support it, and the faster charging that's possible because USB-C carries higher power loads as standard than older USB specifications.

So quick charge should work then because of the SD 810 supporting it I assume.

mcpoulsen

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

So this is something I'm unclear on and not fully understanding, I have a bunch of quick charge 2.0 chargers with USB-A plugs on them. Will a USB-A to USB-C cable (like what will be included) be enough to make the phone charge rapidly using those chargers.

No I don't this this will work. I've been researching this for a couple of days now and decided to just contact Google to get the answer from them. Here was Google's response, "Both the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P support usb - type c quick charging. They do not support Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 or other quick charge devices."

So simply using a QuickCharge 2.0 charger with a usb-c cable will not provide a quick charge. I've been looking on the web and the only usb-c charger I've found is the one Google is selling in their store for $25. If anyone finds some cheaper than that let me know please.

Paul Fallon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

Can you charge the Nexus 6p with the USB type A cable to type c on a portable battery charger?

Posted via the Android Central App

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Can you charge the Nexus 6p with the USB type A cable to type c on a portable battery charger?

Yes, that should work. It just won't quick charge that way. And for quick charge 2.0 chargers, from what I understand, will charge the phone just fine (with appropriate USB A to USB C cable) but won't quick charge the phone. Need a 5V/3A charger with USB C to USB C cable.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=588717

Posted via the Android Central App and my Galaxy S6

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Basically no quick charging for the 6p then?!!! 😬

So I read a post over at droid life and they say that none of the Qualcomm 2.0 quick chargers will work with the nexus 6p for the fast charging rate. Only the one that is included in the box.. Other 3rd party chargers will work but will charge at the normal "slower" rate..... So this makes all car chargers and backup chargers pretty much useless for quick charging right?What are your opinions on this and is this a huge deal breaker for you when buying deciding over this phone?

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Qualcomm quick charge doesn't work with 6p!!

Disappointing. I was saving all of my Quick Charge 2.0 chargers (wall and car) that I was using with my Note 4. Can you even buy compatible 6P fast chargers from anyone now?

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Disappointing. I was saving all of my Quick Charge 2.0 chargers (wall and car) that I was using with my Note 4. Can you even buy compatible 6P fast chargers from anyone now?

As of now, not that I know of.. So the only quick charging we will get out of this phone are just when you have the stock wall charger that came in the box.. This is really frustrating......

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Deal breaker? Oh lord no, that's a tad extreme lol. Be patient, you'll start seeing stuff on Amazon quickly enough.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Basically no quick charging for the 6p then?!!! 😬

I'm sure the 6p will get me through the day so it doesn't bother me. Can't wait to get my phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2