Nexus 6: Marshmallow 6.0 Discussion - Images / OTA

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow 6.0 Factory Images are Live

It's in the new System UI settings. Long press on settings in the pull down shade and then down at the bottom of settings app.

??? without touching the phone, in the task bar?

Erik Johnson3

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Post Here When You Get Marshmallow 6.0 OTA

So, can I do all this without a sim card installed over WiFi?

Posted via the Android Central App

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Google seems to be pushing out one last update for Android 5.1.1 for the Nexus 6 devices across the different model numbers (last security or stagefright 2 update perhaps?) and after that it'll be the 6.0 update, don't know about the other carriers but Tmobile is stating by end of week for their Nexus 6 models,fingers crossed!

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

??? without touching the phone, in the task bar?
Yes, pull down the notification shade and long press on the settings icon. You'll get a toast notification if it worked.

The settings icon will also have a small tool icon next to it that appears slightly grayed out.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Flashed the images no problem. Got Easy ADB cause I'm on windows. Didn't think this phone could get any better but I'm loving M so far!

Edit: and long pressing the setting icon does nothing for me.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Yes. You will still receive an OTA over WiFi without a sim.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Yes, pull down the notification shade and long press on the settings icon. You'll get a toast notification if it worked.

The settings icon will also have a small tool icon next to it that appears slightly grayed out.

I got it. It is called System UI tuner and it is activated by holding down the settings gear on the quick setting shade! Hold it down and it will start spinning and activate the System UI tuner settings. Thanks for the tip! Finally get to see the battery percentage on the battery icon!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Flashed the images no problem. Got Easy ADB cause I'm on windows. Didn't think this phone could get any better but I'm loving M so far!

Edit: and long pressing the setting icon does nothing for me.

Do you have animations etc turned off? I did and put them to .5 and it then worked. Not sure if it related.

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Do you have animations etc turned off? I did and put them to .5 and it then worked. Not sure if it related.

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

I did then switched back but still didnt work. A reboot did it though thanks!

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

There's no way to go back to stock to get the update?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

You have to flash stock still.

I like to describe Android as a tree on a land plot. You buy the land plot (your phone) with the tree already in the land plot. This plant is fairly young (no personal data stored) so now you have to nurture it and give it everything it wants as well as what you desire out of it (self-explanatory). However, you notice a different tree. You want that tree. So you prepare your plot of land to take the tree that you have out, and put a new one in (unlocking the bootloader, different recovery, etc). Then you buy the tree (download the ROM). Now you have to take the tree that came with your land out of the ground and put in a new tree (flashing a custom ROM deletes all data associated with the previous ROM). So now you have to nurture your tree again and make it grow. Of course, the tree that you had before will die if it's not in the ground, so you have to set it on fire (just to make this a little more fun).
Down the road, you see that the tree that you had before had something specific that you realize you desire. Now you have to go buy the same type of tree (download the image), prepare, etc. and plant the tree.
**NOTE: You do have to plant a brand new tree; in other words, flashing a different ROM than you currently have installed on your phone WILL delete your data**

Basically, you've planted a different tree. In order to get to Marshmallow, you need to "replant" stock Android.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I have AT&T build Lmy48m I didn't wait for the OTA for 5.1 and 5.1.1 from AT&T . I backed up my device removed sim card and did a factory reset and my phone works fine wonder if I can do that with 6.0?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Using the AC article as a guide I was able to get M on my Nexus pretty easily. I did have to Factory Reset my Moto 360 to reconnect.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

First impressions are that Doze is going to be a God send - 5 and a half hours from coming off charge and I'm still on 87%, I'm usually down to about 60 by now!

elir41

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Marshmallow Bugs

I thought I would start a thread about any Marshmallow bugs we come across since the OTA's are starting to roll out along with the release of factory images.

The only one that I've found, was when using Swiftkey in Google's Messenger app. For me, the screen flashes while typing and it also does it when I use the quick reply feature.

Anyone else find any bugs?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow Bugs

I thought I would start a thread about any Marshmallow bugs we come across since the OTA's are starting to roll out along with the release of factory images.

The only one that I've found, was when using Swiftkey in Google's Messenger app. For me, the screen flashes while typing and it also does it when I use the quick reply feature.

Anyone else find any bugs?
That sounds more like a bug with Swiftkey not being updated for Marshmallow than an actual Marshmallow bug. I'd suggest reporting that to the Swiftkey team to see if they can get that updated if it's on their end.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

First impressions are that Doze is going to be a God send

Amen, at least for the overnight hours when the phone is perfectly still--motion of any kind appears to be the "death" of Doze. Maybe the App Standby changes will work a similar kind of magic while the phone is physically in-pocket or in-hand.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Amen, at least for the overnight hours when the phone is perfectly still--motion of any kind appears to be the "death" of Doze. Maybe the App Standby changes will work a similar kind of magic while the phone is physically in-pocket or in-hand.

It's been in my pocket all day, so not completely motionless.
I'd say it's in course to last 2, maybe 2 and a half times longer than it did on Lollipop under similar circumstances!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy