Nexus 6: Marshmallow 6.0 Discussion - Images / OTA

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
What's the differencewhen side loading between using the ota files and the factory image files.

Using the OTA typically will just update your device as opposed to willing it during install.

For a major update like this, I recommend a completely a full wipe and install, then another factory reset to make sure everything is out of cache. My 64GB only registered 32GB after the first install so I had to reset it again.

I also never restore backups to it because you never know what app could end up causing an issue when restoring.

via an LG G4 and the AC beta

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Using the OTA typically will just update your device as opposed to willing it during install.

For a major update like this, I recommend a completely a full wipe and install, then another factory reset to make sure everything is out of cache. My 64GB only registered 32GB after the first install so I had to reset it again.

I also never restore backups to it because you never know what app could end up causing an issue when restoring.

via an LG G4 and the AC beta

Agreed. Do two of them in a row in case it does not update your proper storage. If you set up your phone, the only way I know to correct is another factory reset which will wipe your device.

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I used the WugFresh toolkit to sideload the security OTA. I had no trouble with the Driver Installation Guide on Windows 10, but the phone/adb interface kept disappearing from Device Manager when the phone entered sideload mode. I had to unplug and re-plug the phone to get it to re-appear in DM so that I could update that interface and proceed with the sideload.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone had issues with drivers and windows 10?

I upgraded to windows 10 on a desktop that I already had everything installed and it worked fine. The driver game is always the hardest part when using installing wugs.

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

ericinaz

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I flashed 6.0 but like many others I was having issues with LTE signals on Verizon so I had to go back to 5.1.1. Loved the battery life with M though..

1975 kombi

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Why is it every time I use some type of tool kit with drivers my nexus 6 does not show up in the file explorer on my computer. So the root kit doesn't work I think because my nexus 6 disappears. Windows 10

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So the root kit doesn't work I think because my nexus 6 disappears.

As I wrote above:
I had no trouble with the Driver Installation Guide on Windows 10, but the phone/adb interface kept disappearing from Device Manager when the phone entered sideload mode. I had to unplug and re-plug the phone to get it to re-appear in DM so that I could update that interface and proceed with the sideload.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, after how long does the doze kick in? I'm still waiting for the OTA and I've read that greenify is basically obsolete now with 6.0

After the phone has not detected significant motion for 30 minutes, it kicks off another 30 minute timer. Once THAT timer expires, it enters Doze. After a period of time, Doze opens a maintainence window where the apps can then resume and go do their thing... then Doze shuts things down again. As the phone sits, Doze will keep extending the maintaince window out.... So if pop the thing on your nightstand when you go to bed, when you wake up in the morning, you might find that it only drained 0.3% or so an hour.

Well, Greenify isn't really obsolete. That sucker whacks apps with the quickness no matter if it is lying still or you are going for a run. How Greenify goes about its business might be going away though.... I am not sure exactly how accessible the Doze and App Standby stuff is, but I am guessing if someone can get in there and start manipulating the two features, Android's method will work a lot better than anything Greenify can do. I have a feeling that we'll start to see some apps that can tweak the settings, and custom ROMs with a "Doze Settings" option.

Once that happens, Greenify.... along with just about every other 'battery saver' application, will be a dinosaur.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Why is it every time I use some type of tool kit with drivers my nexus 6 does not show up in the file explorer on my computer. So the root kit doesn't work I think because my nexus 6 disappears. Windows 10
Android 6 by default only charges on a USB connection and you have to choose what kind of device you want the PC to see. Havent yet seen how tobset the default. It's mildly annoying.

Anyway, love the battery life. One charge, 2 days with light to moderate use.

f2VGPA1.png

L4KY8d8.png

BILL RAMSEYER

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Post Here When You Get Marshmallow 6.0 OTA

N6 T-mobile just got ota for build#
LYZ28M from LYZ28K so from what i read online my phone is now ready for the 6.0 OTA update. I can't find the ota link for my build# online anywhere. I can't believe google left the decision up to T Mobile. I am more than willing to sideload the OTA update. But I do not want to flash the factory image and have to do a factory data reset on my phone. If anyone has found the OTA for my build number LYZ28M please let me know.

Sam1224

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

OK, flashed Marshmallow this weekend but had major issues when I want to root the phone afterward. Phone bootloops everytime when trying to update SuperSU. Used the toolkit to fix it, but then had to factory reset to get everything to work. I guess I'll wait a bit to try to root again and see if anybody else is having the same issue. Spent way to much time messing with this issue so I didn't get to use the phone to do anything so I really can't comment on changes....

Sam1224

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Just had a moment to finally check the WugFresh forums and evidently you need to flash a custom kernel to be able to attain root under 6.0.
Not sure how to do this, but if I figure it out I'll post here. Gonna suck not being able to use my rooted apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007