Nexus 6: Marshmallow 6.0 Discussion - Images / OTA

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Received the 6.0 OTA update today on my Nexus 6, downloaded it, installed it, and did a data cache wipe and set it up as a new device, loaded only a few necessary apps, yahoo mail, Outlook, GSam, Android Central, and my bank app, that's it. No Sim card installed, just using it via WiFi and it's pretty bad, opening something like AC fourm page takes about 20 seconds to open a page, play store the same just to open the main page. In 4 hours I went from 98% battery to 51%. That's not using any phone, just downloaded about 6 apps, screen on time total for the 4 hours was 1hr 21 minutes. Going to try this out for a couple of days before I put my Sim card in and try to depend on this for a phone and to get me through a normal work day. If this doesn't improve I'm going back to 5.1.1

Posted via the Android Central App
Location and carrier??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Location and carrier??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Phone = Google Play Store, (not carrier purchase), Location South Florida, Carrier = AT&T.
It seems Google Play Store Nexus, or Nexi are not like they use to be, I've been owning every Nexus phone since the Galaxy Nexus, and this is the first time it appears that no matter where you buy it from you are at the mercy of your carrier anyway.
I did use Wugfresh to unroot and flash back to stock, no Sim card, went all the way back to 5.0.1 was on the original Google Play Store build. With never putting a Sim card back in the phone, I received all the official OTA updates up to, and including 6.0. It all went very smooth until I stuck my AT&T Sim card in the phone, cell service is terrible, over 50% of the time no signal and when there is a signal it's pretty weak, missed a bunch of calls and text messages. So obviously there is a specific radio file just for AT&T. I'm going to flash it back to 5.0.1 and put it away until AT&T comes out with their official OTA for 6.0

ceyquem

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Just to check: after updating my Nexus 6 to Marshmallow, I see that the radio icon does not goes to "H" anymore when hooked on HSPA+ but stays "3G" as if it was a 3G R99 connection only. Have you noticed the same thing? Is there a way to change this back to "H"?

Edit:
- Phone purchased without SIM on Amazon.co.uk
- Used on Tigo carrier in Senegal (60802)

Cheers,

Christophe

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Using the OTA typically will just update your device as opposed to willing it during install.

For a major update like this, I recommend a completely a full wipe and install, then another factory reset to make sure everything is out of cache. My 64GB only registered 32GB after the first install so I had to reset it again.

I'm slightly confused here. Do I choose to erase the phone and put it back to factory settings from the Settings, Backup & Reset menu? Then after it's done that, ONLY then I install the update? And THEN, I do another factory reset?

I also never restore backups to it because you never know what app could end up causing an issue when restoring.

via an LG G4 and the AC beta

Regarding the above, does this mean you manually find and install all your apps from the Play Store again, literally setting up the phone like you just took it out of a box when you first bought it? And like you never had another Android phone before that you want to copy the settings from to your "new" phone?

I'd really appreciate someone clarifying on both questions above.

Additionally, I held off until the weekend to do this update, having received the OTA notification that the update was available a few days ago. Having just looked, it's no longer saying that update is available!!! What the heck is that all about? For the last few days it was definitely telling me the Marshmallow update was available (not the previous Lollipop security update, which I also performed about 10 days ago), it was definitely Marshmallow. Now the notification has disappeared, and if I manually check for updates, it tells me the phone is up to date. :confused:

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm slightly confused here. Do I choose to erase the phone and put it back to factory settings from the Settings, Backup & Reset menu? Then after it's done that, ONLY then I install the update? And THEN, I do another factory reset?

Regarding the above, does this mean you manually find and install all your apps from the Play Store again, literally setting up the phone like you just took it out of a box when you first bought it? And like you never had another Android phone before that you want to copy the settings from to your "new" phone?

I'd really appreciate someone clarifying on both questions above.

Additionally, I held off until the weekend to do this update, having received the OTA notification that the update was available a few days ago. Having just looked, it's no longer saying that update is available!!! What the heck is that all about? For the last few days it was definitely telling me the Marshmallow update was available (not the previous Lollipop security update, which I also performed about 10 days ago), it was definitely Marshmallow. Now the notification has disappeared, and if I manually check for updates, it tells me the phone is up to date. :confused:

As for how I install my updates:

If it is an OEM released update, I wait until the update is available then install it once it is. Once the update is finished, I back anything important that is not already auto backed up to my OneDrive account and do a factory reset on the device.

As for a Nexus device, I flash those images the day they are released and do not bother waiting for the OTA. As we've seen with carriers and OTAs for Marshmallow on the Nexus 6, it can be ridiculously long.

When I am setting my devices back up, I start completely from scratch. After getting my 2 main accounts input, then I head to the PlayStore and look at my previously installed apps and start queueing them up for install. I know at this time what apps I really actually use instead of those "Oh cool a hot new app I've just got to try!" which I install, try it out and then do not use again.

When restoring apps & their data from previous backups, there is NO way to know if the data that was backed up may cause an issue when restored. Hence why I start fresh.

I can understand restoring games this way if you are someone who spends a lot of time playing games whose devs have not setup properly to tie in with your Google account so you can just log back in to your account within the app and it restores your account.

It may take longer in the long run, but I rarely have any issues with my devices that are not OEM/carrier software related. Yet I've got numerous friends that do their own thing and restore all the time and wonder why they always have so much trouble.

I'd rather do it right the first time instead of restoring and complaining about that the problems are all because of update. There are rare occasions that it is the softwares fault, but one will not know for sure until a full clean install has been attempted first.

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
When mentioning am OEM update, are you talking about a non-Nexus device(s)?

I've got a Nexus 6.

The rest makes sense and thank you for taking the time to reply in detail. I might give it a go the way you describe!

Thanks again,

Vlad.

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anybody else still not received the OTA update? I thought buying a Nexus 6 and signing up for Project Fi meant I would get updates as fast as possible, but I still haven't received anything.

anon(799607)

May 25, 2012
Visit site
As for how I install my updates:

If it is an OEM released update, I wait until the update is available then install it once it is. Once the update is finished, I back anything important that is not already auto backed up to my OneDrive account and do a factory reset on the device.

As for a Nexus device, I flash those images the day they are released and do not bother waiting for the OTA. As we've seen with carriers and OTAs for Marshmallow on the Nexus 6, it can be ridiculously long.

When I am setting my devices back up, I start completely from scratch. After getting my 2 main accounts input, then I head to the PlayStore and look at my previously installed apps and start queueing them up for install. I know at this time what apps I really actually use instead of those "Oh cool a hot new app I've just got to try!" which I install, try it out and then do not use again.

When restoring apps & their data from previous backups, there is NO way to know if the data that was backed up may cause an issue when restored. Hence why I start fresh.

I can understand restoring games this way if you are someone who spends a lot of time playing games whose devs have not setup properly to tie in with your Google account so you can just log back in to your account within the app and it restores your account.

It may take longer in the long run, but I rarely have any issues with my devices that are not OEM/carrier software related. Yet I've got numerous friends that do their own thing and restore all the time and wonder why they always have so much trouble.

I'd rather do it right the first time instead of restoring and complaining about that the problems are all because of update. There are rare occasions that it is the softwares fault, but one will not know for sure until a full clean install has been attempted first.

You sir, are a genius. I have been scouring the internet looking for someone that has had problems similar to mine when updating or unrooting/locking the bootloader. Like an *****, I trusted NRT to do the work for me and it bit me in the *** more than once. The ONLY WAY to ensure full functionality when updating or changing the Android OS is to do a clean install with a manual factory data reset. It sure is a pain in the *** but totally worth it when it's done. Just wanted to say thx and cheers!

anon(799607)

May 25, 2012
Visit site
You sir, are a genius. I have been scouring the internet looking for someone that has had problems similar to mine when updating or unrooting/locking the bootloader. Like an *****, I trusted NRT to do the work for me and it bit me in the *** more than once. The ONLY WAY to ensure full functionality when updating or changing the Android OS is to do a clean install with a manual factory data reset. It sure is a pain in the *** but totally worth it when it's done. Just wanted to say thx and cheers!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I look at this from a completely different perspective.

Starting with the original HTC G1 running Android 1.0, I've done many, many ordinary OTA updates. I've never had a significant problem. Never needed to do a factory reset. Never even cleared the cache partition. Never manually do a sideloaded update, I just always wait for the OTA and they always work.

If you do a manual update you're stuck with doing manual updates. A pita, especially now that there are regular security patches. I just use a phone, do the OTAs and life is good.

One thing...I always buy devices running plain vanilla Android or very close to it, or a Nexus. Nothing with Touchwiz, Sense etc. I think that has contributed to the 100% success rate of OTAs.

I usually have spare retired phones to play with rooting, like the current 6.0 powered Nexus 4 I'm typing this on. My daily driver always stays stock.

Stevieboi

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Sigh............. it's a NEXUS. Custom roms already. 6.0.1 w/ December update on most roms for a while now. Or you can flash latest stock rom. Learn to unlock, custom recovery, or be more patient. No use complaining to Google or carrier or forums .

You know, not everyone has a computer...some of us don't have that luxury.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
You know, not everyone has a computer...some of us don't have that luxury.

Luxury? A cheap laptop will suffice. Used, refurbs are dirt cheap. Even cheap new ones aren't that bad. Granted, it would be better if carriers were better in speed of updates but I don't see that getting better any time soon. Google is much better but unless you are rooted, etc, etc you won't get the best of things that are available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol