Why no OTA link for Nexus 6?

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Before anybody blows me up with " just use the factory image". I know about that. I will use the factory image, I'm just genuinely curious.

I'm just curious what the hold up on an OTA link for the nexus 6? Most all other devices have it available.

What's the hold up with this device?

Posted via the Android Central App

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If it's a unified build like people are thinking, it's probably the carrier certification that holding it up.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
It's being delayed because the folks at Google are IDIOTS.

They're not dumb, you're just ignorant of the rollout process.

Google Engineer Dan Morrill said:
Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

Source: Google Engineer Dan Morrill Sheds Some Light On The Nexus OTA Process, Urges You To Never Clear Google Service Framework Data

This is how it's always been. They need to rollout it gradually instead of all at once, so they don't risk crippling everyone's devices if something were to go wrong.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
This is how it's always been. They need to rollout it gradually instead of all at once, so they don't risk crippling everyone's devices if something were to go wrong.

And let's not forget that they've got to get the October security patches out first, which they've evidently been doing this week. That's why those OTAs are available in the first place. Someone who got the notification of a system update plugged his phone into a computer and copy and pasted the update's URL. When the Marshmellow OTAs actually start rolling out (probably not until next week for T-Mobile at least), then links to OTAs will start showing up online.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
And let's not forget that they've got to get the October security patches out first, which they've evidently been doing this week. That's why those OTAs are available in the first place. Someone who got the notification of a system update plugged his phone into a computer and copy and pasted the update's URL. When the Marshmellow OTAs actually start rolling out (probably not until next week for T-Mobile at least), then links to OTAs will start showing up online.
Yeah, bingo. Definitely a big queue for the security patch let alone the 6.0. Funny how despite Google's propensity for doing smart things they allowed the security updates to make an already ugly process even uglier.

I skipped all the uncertainty and flashed the factory image. Figured my handset has been through an ungodly number of OTAs already.

The phone is snappy and wonderful again - I'm betting at least partly due to the fresh install.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Fresh install as well! Unlocked the bootloader, flashed with wugfresh, and my N6 feels like it received a second wind or something. Shame though, I'll be using the 6P in a couple of weeks when it shows up. I may hang on to this phone for a little bit longer though.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised when my old Nexus 5 got the update a few days ago. Neither my Nexus 6 nor Nexus 7(WiFi, 2013) have gotten it. Both did get their monthly updates a few days ago.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
That's news. The nexus 5 getting before the Nexus 6.

I too am waiting for my Nexus 6 & 7(2013). A bit of delay is fine though as long as it's mostly bug free

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Noob question please, what's the difference between flashing image and OTA link? What's easier? Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Noob question please, what's the difference between flashing image and OTA link? What's easier? Thanks.

There is no difference if you don't have a carrier branded device. It's definitely easier to get the OTA update, but flashing the stock image isn't difficult once the bootloader is unlocked and you've flashed the images a few times.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Few things..

It doesn't shock me at all that the Nexus 5 had an OTA first. The Nexus 5 had a single factory image, so Google needed to only package up a single OTA, from the last 5.1.1 update. The Nexus 6, on the other hand, had a small army of different builds out there since they had some carrier-specific stuff loaded in them. So rather than building and testing a single OTA path (like on the 5), there's.... 4? 6? Hard to say. Google had two streams.... for Project Fi and general use. The others are all carrier dependant, so those will have to be checked.

I'm curious if Google is going to 86 all those different releases in 6.0. They rolled a ton of those carrier specific bits into the mainline branch... for instance, on 6.0, T-Mobile's Wifi Calling and VoLTE all worked right off the bat, even in the Preview builds.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I think even thou we will all be on same build. Carriers will still control update release. Just a guess but only reason I see for no Ota link.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree. To me this shows that the carriers are controlling this update.
I went ahead and flashed the factory image but still can't believe the OTA hasn't made it out yet

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
My thinking is the hold up's related to VoLTE certification for the 6P and 5X as much as it a test of the N6 6.0 build. Everyone who has flashed the 6.0 image has claimed that T-Mo's WiFi Calling works fine but that things get fuzzy re. Band 12 & VoLTE. And since the ship date for both of the new models is a little more than a week out, killing two (or three) birds with one Marshmallow certification makes some sense.

Also given that the Nexus 6 is now an old warhorse and never really sold like gangbusters for most of the carriers anyway, the incentive to be first out of the gate with an OTA has got to be fairly low.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Yea, part of the reason is the latest security patch which I happened to get today. Now waiting on the official ota. I already have the image ready to go though.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree. To me this shows that the carriers are controlling this update.

I don't think it is any surprise that Google has abandoned the Nexus 6 approach of playing ball with the carriers and gone to the "you get it from us, ONLY" with the 6P and 5X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34