Nexus 6 on Sprint: LTE turns off when Wi-Fi is on?

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully someone else has experienced this and been able to find a fix! I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their N6 on Sprint where Sprint service essentially turns off whenever Wi-Fi is on. This is the only way I've been able to describe my issues with the N6. Whenever I am at home, I am usually on Wi-Fi because it works more reliably than LTE. So whenever someone calls me, the call goes straight to voicemail. I only receive a missed call notification if someone leaves a voicemail. I've been able to test this out with family members where I turn on Wi-Fi, they call me, and the call goes straight to VM. Then, I turn off Wi-Fi, they call me again, and I get the call.

Keeping LTE on all the time (and Wi-Fi off) would not be an issue but for the fact that Sprint's service notoriously sucks inside any building made of concrete (even in Manhattan). I'm not ready to switch providers because I've been grandfathered into a no-throttle unlimited everything plan where I essentially can use 5GB of data each month and pay a reasonable price. I moved to NYC recently and before lived in the D.C. area, where I lived in a house adjacent to a tower. There, I didn't mind keeping Wi-Fi off because I always had great LTE.

This is quite frustrating and it appears to be documented to some effect on Sprint's website (without a fix, of course). Sprint has now reset my network, PRL, and profile; and the only other option appears to be replacing the phone through my insurance. I'm hesitant, though, because I preordered a 6P. Let me know if anyone else has faced this problem (and been able to fix it without replacing their phone).

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully someone else has experienced this and been able to find a fix! I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their N6 on Sprint where Sprint service essentially turns off whenever Wi-Fi is on. This is the only way I've been able to describe my issues with the N6. Whenever I am at home, I am usually on Wi-Fi because it works more reliably than LTE. So whenever someone calls me, the call goes straight to voicemail. I only receive a missed call notification if someone leaves a voicemail. I've been able to test this out with family members where I turn on Wi-Fi, they call me, and the call goes straight to VM. Then, I turn off Wi-Fi, they call me again, and I get the call.

Keeping LTE on all the time (and Wi-Fi off) would not be an issue but for the fact that Sprint's service notoriously sucks inside any building made of concrete (even in Manhattan). I'm not ready to switch providers because I've been grandfathered into a no-throttle unlimited everything plan where I essentially can use 5GB of data each month and pay a reasonable price. I moved to NYC recently and before lived in the D.C. area, where I lived in a house adjacent to a tower. There, I didn't mind keeping Wi-Fi off because I always had great LTE.

This is quite frustrating and it appears to be documented to some effect on Sprint's website (without a fix, of course). Sprint has now reset my network, PRL, and profile; and the only other option appears to be replacing the phone through my insurance. I'm hesitant, though, because I preordered a 6P. Let me know if anyone else has faced this problem (and been able to fix it without replacing their phone).
This is a Known-Issue.

This has been an issue since the Sprint Nexus 6 was released.

The only known Work-Around is to toggle the Nexus 6 phone from LTE to 3G Only while connected to WiFi.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody really knows what causes the issue. It is, however, known that it has something to do with the Sprint CDMA network and Nexus 6 phone. The reason is that phone calls are carried on the 3G CDMA network, and not on the LTE network.

So to the best of my limited technological knowledge, here is the difference when the Nexus 6 is connected to LTE network versus connected to WiFi...

When the Nexus 6 phone is connected to the Sprint LTE network, and a phone call comes into the phone, the phone switchs itself from LTE to CDMA 3G (1x) to handle the photo call, and then once the call ends, the phone switches back to LTE.

Conversely, when the Nexus 6 phone is connected to WiFi, and a phone call comes in, if the Nexus 6 phone is in LTE mode, the phone seems unable to switch to CDMA 3G (1x) mode to handle the calls.

From what I have read and heard, apparently the problem is with the Sprint network not being able to force the Nexus 6 to switch LTE to CDMA while the Nexus 6 phone is on WiFi.

enyce9

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem for months, and finally had enough. I called in and complained over and over. That sent me a new nexus and new sim, didn't fix the problem. After that the only thing they could think of was sending me a different phone. Call customer care and demand they open a ticket. I just opened a ticket for a different issue and the ticket department called me back 3 days in a row regarding the issue.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I usually keep it on 3g to save battery, so I haven't seen this issue yet. I'll have to play with it.

Yung_Dilla

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i've had this issue for a long time with my n6 and sprint idk what causes it but it is a royal pain in the ****. It happens with calls and text messages i swear if the new nexus has this issue i might have to run to tmobile it doesn't seem like a big deal until your lte sucks and wifi you miss calls smh..

new phone doesn't work, new sim doesn't work prl/profile updates don't work.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a developer option to keep cellular data active while on WiFi for faster network switching. That might help.

Posted via the Android Central App

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i've had this issue for a long time with my n6 and sprint idk what causes it but it is a royal pain in the ****. It happens with calls and text messages i swear if the new nexus has this issue i might have to run to tmobile it doesn't seem like a big deal until your lte sucks and wifi you miss calls smh..

new phone doesn't work, new sim doesn't work prl/profile updates don't work.

There is a developer option to keep cellular data active while on WiFi for faster network switching. That might help.

The easiest workaround is to toggle the phone to 3G Only mode.

Settings>>>More>>>Cellular network>>>Prefered network type>>>3G

abc721df36aecb852fe949b90e1a4276.jpg

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

enyce9

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

That option doesn't seem to be available on 5.1, it is available on 6.0 on my nexus 5 however

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That option doesn't seem to be available on 5.1, it is available on 6.0 on my nexus 5 however

Yea I forgot, I flashed 6.0 when the factory images were available. So it might not be on 5.1.1

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I've got the N6 on Sprint as well, have it on Wi-Fi all the time when I'm at home, and I've never encountered this issue, that's very strange.

enyce9

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've got the N6 on Sprint as well, have it on Wi-Fi all the time when I'm at home, and I've never encountered this issue, that's very strange.
When I had my nexus 6 on Sprint I had the same problem for months, tried everything to resolve the issue. Replacement phones different sim on the replacement, dug in the settings looking for something to enable, calling Sprint over and over again. I couldn't get the issue resolved, and it seems to be a problem for Google Fi users as well myself included...

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi yall! Thank you SO much for all of your responses. To update, last Sunday, I took my phone into the Sprint repair store and as expected, I was fed tons of misinformation. First, the service representative cleared the cache on the phone. I assured him that this would not fix the issue. Then, the service rep reset the connection using a pound sign-number combination on the dial pad. This appeared to fix the issue but only briefly.

What the rep told me next was so eye-raising that I objected to further help and left the store. The rep told me that anytime the N6 leaves a service area, I need to type in the reset code on the dialpad "because the N6 is an international phone." Not only was the rep's statement categorically false, but it makes 0 sense from a practical perspective. I bought my N6 from a Sprint store and I have never traveled outside of a coverage area since I got the phone. And I have had a Samsung Galaxy on Sprint LTE enabled for international coverage before. Back then, I actually traveled throughout Europe and came back to the U.S. and never had to "reset the coverage" on my phone.

Speaking with limited knowledge on Sprint and how Wi-Fi-LTE-3G toggling works, I think that this is a problem Sprint could've potentially resolved but didn't. To some degree, I can understand if I might have had this problem with an unlocked phone bought from a third-party carrier. But I bought my N6 directly from Sprint and have found the experience to be abysmal. Sprint needs to provide better customer service to non-iPhone and non-Galaxy users. If I hadn't already preordered a 6P, I definitely would've raised hell in the store.

However, toggling LTE off and sticking to 3G has fixed the problem. I now can keep Wi-Fi on and get calls, MMS text messages (without the pesky "not downloaded" notification), and SMS without a hassle. So thanks to all who have helped--I had a feeling I'd get far more help from yall at AC than I would at the Sprint store.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi yall! Thank you SO much for all of your responses. To update, last Sunday, I took my phone into the Sprint repair store and as expected, I was fed tons of misinformation. First, the service representative cleared the cache on the phone. I assured him that this would not fix the issue. Then, the service rep reset the connection using a pound sign-number combination on the dial pad. This appeared to fix the issue but only briefly.

What the rep told me next was so eye-raising that I objected to further help and left the store. The rep told me that anytime the N6 leaves a service area, I need to type in the reset code on the dialpad "because the N6 is an international phone." Not only was the rep's statement categorically false, but it makes 0 sense from a practical perspective. I bought my N6 from a Sprint store and I have never traveled outside of a coverage area since I got the phone. And I have had a Samsung Galaxy on Sprint LTE enabled for international coverage before. Back then, I actually traveled throughout Europe and came back to the U.S. and never had to "reset the coverage" on my phone.

Speaking with limited knowledge on Sprint and how Wi-Fi-LTE-3G toggling works, I think that this is a problem Sprint could've potentially resolved but didn't. To some degree, I can understand if I might have had this problem with an unlocked phone bought from a third-party carrier. But I bought my N6 directly from Sprint and have found the experience to be abysmal. Sprint needs to provide better customer service to non-iPhone and non-Galaxy users. If I hadn't already preordered a 6P, I definitely would've raised hell in the store.

However, toggling LTE off and sticking to 3G has fixed the problem. I now can keep Wi-Fi on and get calls, MMS text messages (without the pesky "not downloaded" notification), and SMS without a hassle. So thanks to all who have helped--I had a feeling I'd get far more help from yall at AC than I would at the Sprint store.
Your welcome!

And yes, many of the Sprint Store Reps are clueless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo