Wifi Calling after switch to TMo from VZW

ratedr79

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched to T-Mobile from VZW. I kept my Nexus 6 and so-far, everything seem mostly ok. Seems like there may be a few hand-off things going on, but nothing unmanageable But I don't have any of the Wifi calling options. I'm on LMY48M, but got that while I was on VZW. Do I have to flash an older T-Mobile specific image and then let it do it's OTAs? Or at this point, do i just wait for the Marshmallow release.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you should be OK. Did you get LMT48M as an OTA? If so, then you are 'official' as far as Verizon is concerned and should get VZW OTAs going forward.

And on Verizon, you won't get WiFi Calling.... That was a T-Mobile specific feature (AT&T will be adding it soon). Verizon doesn't have WFC, nor have I heard that they will be adding it.

ratedr79

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think you read it backwards. I was on VZW. I'm not any longer, I went to T-Mobile as of the end of last week. I don't necessarily NEED wifi calling, but it was a feature I wanted to try out.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think you read it backwards. I was on VZW. I'm not any longer, I went to T-Mobile as of the end of last week. I don't necessarily NEED wifi calling, but it was a feature I wanted to try out.

OH! Derp... :)

You'll need to go flash the T-Mobile build... LYZ28M is the latest I believe. I think you get ignored if you broadcast a non-supported software version, so you'll never get any T-Mobile OTA notifications.

So your only option is to flash the factory image yourself.... And if you do that, just go to 6.0 (MRA58K). I'm on T-Mobile running that and its running great. WFC, band 12, VoLTE.. all works.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile running that and its running great. WFC, band 12, VoLTE.. all works.

That's a solid inducement for flashing the factory image, but how about fielding a question that shows my ignorance of all this stuff: how are you verifying that VoLTE works?

Obviously, you can verify the WFC from the pulldown shade, and I know that you can verify band 12 with LTE Discovery. But what about the VoLTE? Are you basing that on the fact that you can successfully make and receive phone calls? or on something else?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's a solid inducement for flashing the factory image, but how about fielding a question that shows my ignorance of all this stuff: how are you verifying that VoLTE works?

It's pretty simple. When connected to an LTE tower, make a phone call. If VoLTE is functional, your mobile data connection will remain on LTE. If you don't have VoLTE, it'll drop down to 3G (on T-Mobile, your data icon will switch from 'LTE' to 'H' or 'H+').

VoLTE working:
VoLTE.png

Not Working:
Nope.png

And I thank my local CVS for being my test dummy. :) Back in 5.1.1, I did a lot of VoLTE checks for a custom ROM that I use and I've called that number a million times. It's the one that I know dumps to an IVR right away. :)

ratedr79

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Took me longer to get adb and fastboot working in Windows than it did to flash, and now Wifi calling is there. Good times.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Took me longer to get adb and fastboot working in Windows than it did to flash, and now Wifi calling is there. Good times.

Yep.... it's a fickle beast. I can't get the drivers to work right on my work laptop anymore. I can connect with fastboot, but ADB is out to lunch. Just won't see my Nexus 6. *shrug*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34