Google Nexus 6P USB-C car chargers?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a car charger made by Motorola from 2011 that has 2 regular USB ports in it. Will I have to buy a new one that's USB-C specific? Any recommendations?
This is the only one I've found on Amazon that has any customer reviews so far

Last edited:

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: USB-C car chargers?

You don't have to. you can just grab a USB Type-A to Type C cable (think microUSB cable, but for USB C instead) and use that with the existing charger.

it won't do the "fast charging" that the 6P is capable of, but if the adapter you have does 2A it'll charge at 2A, which for many people, will be plenty fast enough.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to. you can just grab a USB Type-A to Type C cable (think microUSB cable, but for USB C instead) and use that with the existing charger.

it won't do the "fast charging" that the 6P is capable of, but if the adapter you have does 2A it'll charge at 2A, which for many people, will be plenty fast enough.

I don't think we know for sure, just yet, that a QC 2.0 charger won't fast charge the 6P right?

Posted via the Android Central App

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

I don't think we know for sure, just yet, that a QC 2.0 charger won't fast charge the 6P right?

Posted via the Android Central App

considering the 6P doesn't have the Quickcharge spec, and qualcomm doesn't list it as compatible, I think it's a fairly safe assumption.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

is there a way to fast charge connecting my phone to computer using USB type A to C??

No. computer USB ports only provide 500mah of power (for USB2) or 900mah (USB 3). Some laptops have ports with extra power that might charge faster, but you won't get any kind of fast charging like how qualcomm quickcharge works.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

No. computer USB ports only provide 500mah of power (for USB2) or 900mah (USB 3). Some laptops have ports with extra power that might charge faster, but you won't get any kind of fast charging like how qualcomm quickcharge works.

Any of the USB-C car chargers I've found online all only seem to support the qualcomm QC spec so I guess for now we'll have to live with regular charge speeds in the car for the 6p

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Any of the USB-C car chargers I've found online all only seem to support the qualcomm QC spec so I guess for now we'll have to live with regular charge speeds in the car for the 6p

correct. they have to have an output of 5V/3A to fast charge the 6p (and 5x, for that matter).

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

and be USB-C to USB-C

as far as I can tell, correct. Question about this: if there is a USB-A charger that supports 5V/3A, is it the cable that doesn't support the voltage/current or is it only USB-C to USB-C has the PD 2.0 fast charge spec?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

we'll get the definitive answer as people get things to test, but so far the only things advertised to actually work with the "fast charging" are USB C to USB C, based on the power delivery spec

Something that charges at 3A will be faster than something that charges at 2A because well it's charging at 3A instead of 2A, that doesn't mean it supports whatever kind of "fast charge" that the 6P supports, with variable power delivery to the device.

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

The Nomad charger looks good. One USB-C, one USB A, and 3000mAh battery all rolled into one. Discounted if ordered by Oct 29.
Too bad it only supports 1.5A per port, so it's only going to charge at half the maximum possible speed.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't see many options in the USB-C car charger space . . . and it's a portable charger too . . . kind of goes with the Nomad/Roadtrip/Outdoorsy theme . . . but, yes, would've liked more oomph.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I don't see many options in the USB-C car charger space . . . and it's a portable charger too . . . kind of goes with the Nomad/Roadtrip/Outdoorsy theme . . . but, yes, would've like more oomph.

yeah, I'd imagine we start seeing them come out in the next 6 months or so. Since USB Type C is so new (only a small subset of phones use them) the need for accessories wasn't really there.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

My current plan is to use a car charger I already own. Granted, I likely won't get rapid charging out of it but I almost see that as a benefit. My issue with using my phone in my car has been heat -- between sunlight and charging, phones can really heat up (and quick charging will likely exacerbate the issue). Instead, I'll typically be happy if I just don't lose much of the charge. I'm ordering some extra USB-A to USB-C cables from Monoprice and am hoping that will work well enough.