Google Nexus 6P USB-C car chargers?

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: USB-C car chargers?

well, the charger isn't useless. it'll still charge at 2A, just won't get the USB power delivery fast charging.
If 2A is all you want there are tons of cheaper chargers that'll easily do that and offer more ports, etc. QC2 capability is a total waste here.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys, I just got my Tronsmart charger. I should have my phone on Wednesday for speed testing, but I was just looking at it with the Verus case, and it doesn't look like the charger will fit through the gap on this particular case. The port on the charger is pretty big, so I'm kind of anticipating problems with any case. Just thought I'd make note of that here.

adamleonard

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: nexus 6p car charger

It's showing "Charging Rapidly" and showing 97% battery at the top so whether or not this is really the full rapid charge we'd see from a 3A charger or not, it clearly is rapid charging near the top of capacity.

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

JoeLemaire

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

My Nexus 6P is coming Friday, so I've been looking at chargers for both the car and my desk at work. Here's where I'm at:

PECHAM USB-C to USB-A 3.0 Nylon Braided 3.3Ft[1M] USB Data Cable

Etekcity® Combo of 15W/3.1A High-Output Portable Wall Charger and Car Vehicle Charger Dual USB Ports

I think they both meet the 5V/3A spec for fast charging. I know the chargers are only 3.1A total for both ports, but 99% is just me charging, so that's not a big deal. I also like the idea of having a USB-A charger, cause I still have a lot of devices that aren't USB-C yet, so this will still work with them.

I probably could have gone with a cheaper cable, but I like the idea of having a 'tougher' cable in the vehicle, especially cause my SUV has the cigarette lighter in the console, and the top of the console closes down on it (it has a notch for cables coming out, but cables move :-\)

Anyone have any thoughts? Also, I've never heard of the Etekcity brand - anyone know anything about them?

syeo86

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

My Nexus 6P is coming Friday, so I've been looking at chargers for both the car and my desk at work. Here's where I'm at:

Etekcity® Combo of 15W/3.1A High-Output Portable Wall Charger and Car Vehicle Charger Dual USB Ports

I think they both meet the 5V/3A spec for fast charging. I know the chargers are only 3.1A total for both ports, but 99% is just me charging, so that's not a big deal. I also like the idea of having a USB-A charger, cause I still have a lot of devices that aren't USB-C yet, so this will still work with them.

I probably could have gone with a cheaper cable, but I like the idea of having a 'tougher' cable in the vehicle, especially cause my SUV has the cigarette lighter in the console, and the top of the console closes down on it (it has a notch for cables coming out, but cables move :-\)

Anyone have any thoughts? Also, I've never heard of the Etekcity brand - anyone know anything about them?

Nope. You gotta read between the lines.
2.1A + 1A.

What this is saying is max 2.1A on one port, with the ability to simultaneously provide 1A on the other port. Just because you are using 1 port doesn't mean you get 2.1A+1A for a total of 3.1A.

Go ahead, ask the seller. Does this charger provide 3.1A on a single port. I HIGHLY doubt it.

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

No. If you look at the specs closer, you'll see "Output power: DC 5V, 2.1A + 1A (3.1A total) max.", which means it has one port outputting 2.1A and the other port outputting 1A, for a combined so-called "3.1A", which is definitely not the same as one port outputting 3A, necessary for charging the 6P at maximum speed.

What you need to look for is one that can actually output 5V/3A to a single Type-C connector, such as this (can only be bought in bulk at the moment):
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-sell-5v-3a-wall-charger_60308343561.html

Or you can buy one from Google... when it's in stock:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tion/accessories_wall?hl=en-US&token=rh6BmSaH

Last edited:

d2008

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Despite this is car charger thread, there is RAV 20100 power bank with USB-C 5V/3A input/output ports. Let's wait until somebody test it.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

That RAV powerbank is 2.4A. Anker has USB-C options "Coming Soon". Whatever that means.

jrogi

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

I wonder if one of these USB Y adapters along with a very short USB-A to USB-C cable would allow the device to pull max current from a pair of 2a USB ports. If anybody has these pieces laying around, please give it a try and let us know.

I might just order them, but I'm having trouble finding a super short USB-A to USB-C adapter. I do have a USB-C to female USB-A USBOTG cable (7-inch), but that would require yet another link in the chain... a USB-A gender changer. Still, I might try it just for fun. If I do, I'll report back.

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

5x users, stay away from this car charger. amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH84L5E/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00VH84L5E&linkCode=as2&tag=scvo-20&linkId=U3QZNTJAGSMLHL6U

Just got it yesterday, and it does not charge my phone. It appears to begin charging then stops after a couple seconds. It repeatedly tries to start up but fails over and over. So, the screen never sleeps and it just drains battery.

I'm certain it's not a bad unit. It charges my HTC Desire 816, my wife's LG Volt and an iPhone 5 with no issues. I've tried it in multiple cars. I'm using a OnePlus A-to-C cord that works just fine to charge the 5x with a multi-port Anker wall charger and a Sharkk portable battery. I have an older off-brand car charger that does charge the 5x but at a slow rate, about 10% per 30 minutes.

So, i'm giving this Anker car charger to my wife. She's thrilled, but I'm a little bummed to be stuck with my older unit.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I get my 6p this evening. I've got several QC2.0 chargers so I'll test them out and let everyone know what's up with that aspect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463