Google Nexus 6P USB-C car chargers?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Right, Benson said it against the rules. Anyway, does 5X & 6P charged @3A with USB-C from 0 - 100% ?

It doesn't do the full 3A all the way from 0-100%. IIRC it does the full 3A to a certain percentage, then tapers off the higher it goes to safeguard the battery. In that respect it's similar to Motorola and Qualcomm's Quick charging, it just does it at a different rate. From my foggy memory I thought it did 3A until around 50-60%, then reduced until like 80-90%, and then trickle charges from there, which would explain why it takes so long right at the end to get to 100% charged.

Anadtech did a review recently on the 6p and when they talked about charging, they mentioned that even though it says 100%, it's not actually fully charged. That could explain why some people are getting better battery life than others, maybe they're charging overnight and are actually getting the battery fully charged. Where people who take them off the charger when it hits 100% might only actually have it charged to 80 or 90%. I used to let it charge overnight, but stopped doing it when I started using the QC charger on my Droid Turbo, in case it hurt the battery. And I've done the same with my 6p. But I'm going to try charging overnight for awhile and see if it makes a difference or not. Since I have Nexus Protect on it, it should be covered if the battery takes a dive. Currently I'm topping out around 3 hrs SOT, and 12-16 hrs on a charge. My screen brightness is just above the bottom with adaptive brightness off. As for signal, currently it'll be low due to our Network Extender not working, my LTE signal is around -120 to -126dBm, so that could affect my battery life as well.

I'll report back once I have some data.

d2008

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't do the full 3A all the way from 0-100%. IIRC it does the full 3A to a certain percentage, then tapers off the higher it goes to safeguard the battery. In that respect it's similar to Motorola and Qualcomm's Quick charging, it just does it at a different rate. From my foggy memory I thought it did 3A until around 50-60%, then reduced until like 80-90%, and then trickle charges from there, which would explain why it takes so long right at the end to get to 100% charged.

Anadtech did a review recently on the 6p and when they talked about charging, they mentioned that even though it says 100%, it's not actually fully charged. That could explain why some people are getting better battery life than others, maybe they're charging overnight and are actually getting the battery fully charged. Where people who take them off the charger when it hits 100% might only actually have it charged to 80 or 90%. I used to let it charge overnight, but stopped doing it when I started using the QC charger on my Droid Turbo, in case it hurt the battery. And I've done the same with my 6p. But I'm going to try charging overnight for awhile and see if it makes a difference or not. Since I have Nexus Protect on it, it should be covered if the battery takes a dive. Currently I'm topping out around 3 hrs SOT, and 12-16 hrs on a charge. My screen brightness is just above the bottom with adaptive brightness off. As for signal, currently it'll be low due to our Network Extender not working, my LTE signal is around -120 to -126dBm, so that could affect my battery life as well.

I'll report back once I have some data.

Finger cross you will have the data later. Since 5X & 6P' launched I really want to know how this 5V/3A really works from 0-100%. Even Benson Leung couldn't or didn't want to answer about it :(

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Finger cross you will have the data later. Since 5X & 6P' launched I really want to know how this 5V/3A really works from 0-100%. Even Benson Leung couldn't or didn't want to answer about it :(

When I charge my phone, my general rule is to allow one minute of charge per % of battery life. I can plug my phone in just after waking up around 5:30 and by the time I leave for work at 6:30 it's USUALLY fully charged. This, of course, depends on how much it had discharged but if it's anything higher than 60% left (usually), it's good to go.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
When I charge my phone, my general rule is to allow one minute of charge per % of battery life. I can plug my phone in just after waking up around 5:30 and by the time I leave for work at 6:30 it's USUALLY fully charged. This, of course, depends on how much it had discharged but if it's anything higher than 60% left (usually), it's good to go.

are you quick charging it? shouldn't take an hour to go from 60-100% ... I charge mine before bed or in the morning, sometimes every other day and get 5 hours SOT on average ... sometimes more or less depending on how much clash of clans I'm playing.

dark wallpapers, low brightness, 30 second sleep and a great signal from VZ definitely help.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

When I was talking about data, I wasn't talking about how the Nexus Quick Charging works. I was talking about if leaving it charge overnight vs pulling it off the charger when it hits 100%, and if that makes a difference in SOT.

I don't have the tools to do the measurements that you're asking for. The scenario I mentioned in my last post was something I read somewhere (could've even been in this thread). Knowing exactly what percentage the charge rate changes won't help because it's not something that can be altered by anyone without changing it at the design level.

All anyone really needs to know is that it takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes to charge it starting out from 0-5% to fully charged.

Edit: Here's a link to what I was talking about (I believe it's the one I read, but it says the same thing as what I remember). I have no idea if the guy knows what he's talking about or not, just showing you where I got it from.

https://m.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/3uvcsu/brand_new_nexus_5x_charging_incredibly_slowly/

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
are you quick charging it? shouldn't take an hour to go from 60-100% ... I charge mine before bed or in the morning, sometimes every other day and get 5 hours SOT on average ... sometimes more or less depending on how much clash of clans I'm playing.

dark wallpapers, low brightness, 30 second sleep and a great signal from VZ definitely help.

Yes, it's on the Google-supplied USB-C charger and reports charging rapidly. I didn't say it takes the entire hour. I usually plug it in next to my sofa when I walk there from the bedroom, then make/eat breakfast, shower, shave, etc. By the time I'm done with that it's charged unless I had run it down more than normal.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

This may be my first car charger to try, but I think I'm going to wait until that price comes down some. 25 dollars is a little high for me, even if it's QC 3.0 and type C. I wish I could get in on some of these free to give my "honest" opinion programs that seem to flood the reviews at first.

Posted via the Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That one is the first one they came out with, that I bought and that Benson tested and found it not in compliance. One of the other guys who tests this stuff mentioned that Tronsmart was coming out with a device that would be compliant with the 5V/3A standard. After their first one, I'll wait until its tested before I take the plunge. This is the newer one I believe since I hadn't seen it before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4946026

Thanks for the link. I purchased the original cable and now it has blown both the power outlet fuses in my 2013 Toyota Highlander. I just contacted Tronsmart about returning it. I hope they will take it back.

ETA: I did some experimenting and found the fuse problem was caused by a Verizon charger for my son's Nexus 4. I quickly threw it in the trash! I plugged in my Tronsmart and the 6P says it is charging rapidly. I was in the car for about 15 minutes and it charged from 55% to 71%, so I'm not really sure if the original Tronsmart is bad. Going to look for the app to test it and see what that tells me.

Last edited:

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I found this spreadsheet for accessories for our 6P phones. Check this out before purchasing anything. I think I'm going to go with the Vinsic Car Charger instead of the new Tronsmart.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

The issue with that spreadsheet is it appears to be outdated -- everything is dated from the end of November. There are several new accessories (such as the new Transmort car charger) that have been released since November.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The issue with that spreadsheet is it appears to be outdated -- everything is dated from the end of November. There are several new accessories (such as the new Transmort car charger) that have been released since November.

Well, it's updated through 12/29/2015, so that's pretty current. Looks like everything with a NO has a date of 11/30/2015.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I was going to use that one, but some people gave it bad reviews, so I went with a better known brand. I'll give it a mini review after the first day:
Amazon.com: USB Type C Car Charger, AUKEY 27W Dual Port USB Car Charger for Nokia N1, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, OnePlus 2, Apple MacBook 12 inch, Lumia 950, Lumia 950XL and more - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I just used my Aukey charger for 40 minutes for the first time. YouTube in the background and navigation running. It kept my 6p at 100% and when it's charging it says "charging rapidly". It's well built too and has a nice long cable. I'm satisfied with my purchase. The cable is thick too like the original USB-C cable.

Posted from my 128gb N6P.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt